Menu

Need help with DS6 - d vs b

My son is 6 1/2 and reads well for his age.  My only concern is that he struggles with recognizing d and b. The word "bad" is really tough for him, even though he reads much more complicated words with no difficulties.  He doesn't mix up any other letters or write anything else backwards, so I don't think it's a learning issue I'm not sure how to address it without confusing him further.  

I've tried drawing a little symbol on each side of the paper and saying "b looks at the star and d looks at the music note," or whatever the symbol is.  This didn't help and I think frustrated him more.  

I'm guessing this is a fairly common problem.  I assumed he would grow out of it as his reading got stronger, but it seems to be sticking.  Does anyone have any ideas on how he can practice this?  Or do I just need to wait?

I use the phrase that b's have the same bumps (B b) and D's like to be different with their bumps (D d). My dd7 reads them fine but if she's overthinking how to spell a word she occasionally has to think about which direction to write it. Hope that helps :)

I use the phrase that b's have the same bumps (B b) and D's like to be different with their bumps (D d). My dd7 reads them fine but if she's overthinking how to spell a word she occasionally has to think about which direction to write it. Hope that helps :)

Ooh, I like that. I use a different phrase I got here, "b is a tall letter with a short part, and d is a short letter with a tall part." Now I'll be using both...

DD#1 had the same problem when she was 6, and her reading skills were fantastic.  Go figure.  We practiced writing them, little reminders like above, etc and nothing stuck.  I stopped focusing on it and just gently correctly which ever word she was stuck on.  She outgrew it on her own.  No problem now in 3rd grade.  It resolved during 1st grade.

DD#2 in forst grade this year...same thing.  First half of year, she was still struggling with this, second half almost resolved.  No intervention at all from me.  

I like this. I'm going to try it! My son does the same thing. He gets so frustrated with those 2 letters!

To reduce reversals in writing, I also teach cursive.

For reading, I have my ds make a "bed" with his hands. (Put fists together, thumbs up, so one hand is making a "b" and the other a "d." Turn them so the thumbs look like bed posts. At first, I traced the letters on his fingers and traced an "e" in between, saying the sounds as I traced. He rarely confuses them anymore, but if he does, I remind him to "make a bed," and that really helps him figure it out.

When DD struggled with this, I printed out a paper with Bb, Dd, Pp, and Qq (she was confusing all four at the time).  I taped it up somewhere that she could easily glance up and see it in the middle of reading if she got stuck.  Since I had the big and little letters together, she could figure out which lowercase letter she was looking at by seeing which uppercase letter it was paired with.  Eventually she got to where she didn't need the reminder.

Guest ETWsmom

I have been investigating Dianne Craft and Brain Gym for my DD who is soon to be 9 and still doing reversals with, c, b, d, 3 and 9's.  I have found an exercise to do on this website called the writing 8 activity and if you look it up on you tube you can see some demonstrations.  HTH

My dd learned the same way I did as a kid, that b has a bump on the belly, and d is the derriere! :) Worked perfectly!

Brilliant! Thank you thank you thank you! This one seems to have remedied the chronic problem for my DS6 in just one day. Except that he thinks "derrière" is hysterical and gets distracted by all his giggling. :-)

I told all my kids that b has a belly and d has a derriere too. All my kids struggled with it. My dd is 9 and still confuses them now and then. I've had her assessed and it's not a problem, just her being a little bit spacey now and then. She is a wonderful reader, and the mixing up is getting less and less.

One of the several curricula I looked for my dd mentioned that the lower case b is sounded beginning with closed lips, and writing it starts with a stick.  Lower case d starts with open lips, and writing it starts with a round shape.  They said to have the kid look at a mirror and see herself making the sounds while forming the letter in the air. 

However, it might be a maturity thing.  At this point, since I'm pretty much at her elbow all the time, I say, "Oh, that's not a B, that's a D.  Try it again."  She's making fewer and fewer mistakes as time goes on.