Menu

Extremely picky eater - possible food allergies/intolerances? Advice?

countrygal

I'm not sure what to do with my extremely picky eater. She is almost 6. She has always been picky, even as a baby, but the past year it seems to have gotten worse - or gotten to the point that it bothers me. I feel like it should be getting better, not worse. She eats only a few things. She mainly likes and eats bread/toast with butter and pizza. She will also eat other similar carb things like pancakes, waffles (no syrup), saltine crackers (no other crackers), plain chips, plain tortillas with melted cheese, stovetop stuffing, dry rice krispies and plain pasta. She use to eat cheese and peanut butter on her bread but she has been refusing that lately (past month) as well. She likes breakfast sausage as her only meat. She stopped eating scrambled eggs a few months ago as well. She use to love yogurt but has been refusing it or eating very little of it (a couple bites at most) the past couple months. She did like plain baked white chicken meat dipped in ranch dressing but now is refusing that as well. She will not eat vegetables, fruit except canned pears (if that is the only thing she 'likes' on the table - meaning no bread product.) I'm struggling to not keep food or meal time a battle. I have a family of 7 and can not cater to everyone's desires. If she doesn't like what there is she cries, pushes her plate, leaves the table, or asks what there is for her to eat and gets mad when I say that supper is on the table. I don't know what to say or do that won't make food an issue anymore. She will go to bed without eating, and start crying because she is hungry. She asks what she can eat for a snack and I've been asking, "What sounds good to eat?" She just says "I don't know." I have had conversations asking her what she would like for meals and all she can come up with is "pizza" and "I don't know." She will drink nothing but water. She refuses milk and juice so supplements are out. We even went to a birthday party today and she would not eat the chocolate cake or ice cream. She likes a few sweets, mainly brownies and chocolate chip cookies, but does refuse most other desserts and candies as well.

A couple months ago I became concerned because she kept putting her fingers in her mouth. I thought it was an annoying kid habit but after a couple weeks I asked her why she kept doing that (she was chewing on her finger tips.) She said "Because my fingers are itchy and that's the only way to make it stop." A couple days later I asked her if her fingers were still itchy when I saw her doing it and she said "No, but my tongue is itchy." Red flag says she has a food allergy, right? The only thing she basically eats is wheat so I instantly thought celiac's. I had her in to a pediatrician and he listened to my concerns - however her panel was negative, she is not anemic (although on the low end of normal) and is normal thyroid (I have hypothyroid and she is small - her younger sister is the same size as her now so I asked to have the checked.) So now I've been thinking I've just been wrong and she is just a picky eater. I just don't know what to think anymore when she refuses almost everything on the table. I serve a variety and I would think she could find something she likes. She got into the habit of eating bread because the rule was "if you don't like it, you can have a peanut butter sandwich instead." So maybe I started a food battle that I can't get myself out of. I feel like I can't have bread in the house and she'll just be forced to eat other things if it's not around. (Granted, I do make homemade multi-grain bread, so it is somewhat healthy and very delicious.)

She is kind of a low-energy child, she says she is tired daily. I know she gets blood sugar lows but trying to get her to eat protein with her carb at meals and snacks is getting difficult because she will refuse the PB and cheese often now. How do I know if her attitude (she is short tempered as well) and tiredness is her normal disposition and not food related? How to I know if she is like this because she doesn't eat well and then, in turn, continues to not eat well? I've been extra diligent in trying to pay attention to her lately (thinking mom's stretched to thin and not paying attention enough to her needs) to see if her crankiness/short temperedness would diminish and it has slightly, but she can snap so nasty and her brother and sister, and me as well. I know she's a smart sweet girl under there somewhere.... I have recently been diligent in getting her vitamins (infant drops only, of course.)

What do I do?

Get rid of foods in the house that she craves to force her into trying other foods since there are no other options?

Try to do food elimination diet on my own to see if her behavior gets better or she feels better?

Go back to the doctor to have other food allergies tested? (Is this reliable????)

If I was to eliminate wheat on my own (without doctor suggestion), I would have to do the whole family, and that is a huge undertaking. I would do it if I KNEW it was necessary. Would I know right away if this was the culprit? I don't want to unnecessarily restrict her from wheat, for example, if it isn't the culprit, and subject myself to more stress to meal times from now until forever!

I keep going in circles over what to do or where to start. I feel like I have to pick one thing and stick with it a while to see if it works before moving onto the next. Anyone BTDT?? Sorry if this is all over the place.

Wow. So sorry for you! I have a VERY picky eater plus some with allergies (picky one included). first off - hugs!

Do you think your daughter could expand on what makes her itchy? My 6 year old has the most allergies and can immediately know which food has "made her mouth feel funny." Does she have dry skin or irritated skin? Eggs were the first thing we eliminated with dd6. She's allergic to much more, but that's the first thing we discovered.

Is there a possibility she likes attention from being picky? Sometimes I think kids feel a bit special when singled out, even for food preferences.

I know some may frown upon the idea, but would she drink a PediaSure or something like it?

If you think something is not right, I'd take her back to the Dr. You are your child's advocate,so if you feel your concerns aren't really being heard then find a Dr who will listen. I had Dr's tell me dd6 (at about age 2 months) couldn't possibly have food allergies when in fact she did (even as an adult it can be tempting to stick out your tongue for a good "told you so").

I hope you find an answer soon! Sorry I don't have more helpful advice!

She eats only a few things. She mainly likes and eats bread/toast with butter and pizza. She will also eat other similar carb things like pancakes, waffles (no syrup), saltine crackers (no other crackers), plain chips, plain tortillas with melted cheese, stovetop stuffing, dry rice krispies and plain pasta. She use to eat cheese and peanut butter on her bread but she has been refusing that lately (past month) as well. She likes breakfast sausage as her only meat. She stopped eating scrambled eggs a few months ago as well. She use to love yogurt but has been refusing it or eating very little of it (a couple bites at most) the past couple months. She did like plain baked white chicken meat dipped in ranch dressing but now is refusing that as well. She will not eat vegetables, fruit except canned pears (if that is the only thing she 'likes' on the table - meaning no bread product.)  

I have experience with the "picky eater" as well as the child with chronic digestive troubles.  You didn't mention whether or not your dd has any digestive problems...I wonder if she has chronic constipation given the foods you've listed.  That could make her feel sluggish and even kill her appetite at times. 

Both of mine (they're teens now) have tested negative for celiac , but they are both gluten intolerant.   We did the food allergy panel (blood test) and it made a world of difference here.  Adjusting to diet restrictions isn't easy (for the patient or the cook) but it's worth it to feel better.

Do you think the issues are behavioral and part of a power struggle? If so I would check out Books by Ellyn Satter. I've found them sound and balanced.

In my own experience, when we have feeding issues, I refuse to make them my struggle. I see my role as providing the healthy kid-friendly food at regular intervals and see the child's role as choosing whether or not to eat it. I've found both my own kids and foster kids will always sort the issues out by themselves and rarely go for more than a meal in protest. I've noticed the same thing with lunches at Head Start. Preschoolers who at home will refuse to eat anything but goldfish crackers, will sit down with their classmates and share a meal. I'm guessing when they're hungry, everyone else is eating, there are no goldfish crackers available, food starts to look more appealing.

My disclaimer is that I've never parented a child with an underlying physical or psychiatric problem like anorexia... But among normal kids, even picky eaters will eat healthy food when they are hungry and that is the only option available.

I would consider sensory sensitivities as well.  While the itchy fingers/itchy tongue could certainly be allergy-related, they could also be an overactive sensory response.  Avoiding certain foods is classic for this--they don't like the feel of the foods (peanut butter is too sticky, cheese is too slippery, etc).  And her low-energy/tiredness could be a symptom as well, as an avoidance of anything that is overwhelming in a sensory way.  How is she with messy things?  Doe she need to wash her hands/avoid dirt/keep clean a lot?  What about noises, bright lights, etc?  Kids with sensory sensitivities don't respond to sensory input in a "normal" way--a pat on the back can feel like a heavy weight slammed into the shoulder--and have to learn to adjust their response to the input.  An occupational therapist trained in this area can work wonders.

It's entirely possible that her issues have nothing at all to do with this one, but it might be worth looking into as something to rule out.

Find out if you have a feeding clinic in your area with a speech pathologist that specializes in feeding disorders.

I was going to mention the same thing. We don't go to a feeding clinic, but DS goes to speech once a week for feeding issues. We discovered what was underlying his pickyness was overall low jaw strength and his bite is off. All the carby foods are easy to chew and digest but fruits and veggies are to hard to chew unless they're cooked to death and because of his coordination issues while chewing he can't deal with things with strange textures (yogurts with fruit, oatmeal, ect.). The progress he's making is slow but it's there. 

Have you had allergy tests or just a celiac panel at the pediatricians? They are different things and tested in different ways. 

You're right that the tongue itching is a major sign of allergies, not celiac. I'd see an allergist if I were you. It could possibly be related to oral allergy syndrome, which can come and go depending on what else she may be reacting to (pollen, for example) at any given time.

You can have food allergies tested by blood but they are generally considered less sensitive than skin prick tests, presumably the gold standard. However, I've read that the tests for milk allergy sometimes show up better by a blood test, though I'm not sure of the reliability of that.

You may have read my posts that two of my children were just diagnosed with allergies. One has a milk and wheat allergy found by a blood test when the allergist couldn't do a skin prick tests due to her hives. She tends to be grumpy but always looked very healthy. I would have never suspected the allergies if she hadn't suddenly had hives. My other dd has no food but environmental allergies (mold, dust, pollen, dogs). She has been rather rundown lately with a lot of complaints about her head and stomach. The good news that in less than a week, they are both doing noticeably better. It's almost like the volume has been turned down on both of them. One is much calmer and the other has fewer complaints.  

ETA: I know a lot of people recommend elimination diets but they can be really hard with picky kids. Also, my kids are involved in a lot of activities and they thrive on social get-togethers. I never could bring myself to cut things out and have that negatively influence their activities with friends, unless I knew I really had to. Perhaps it would have been different if I saw a direct connection with a specific food. I think allergy testing can be a good bet to make the process easier with a picky eater. You may get answers, but if not, go from there and try an elimination diet to check yourself for intolerances.

You received some great suggestions!  I just want to add that I have a nephew who was nearly exactly the way you are describing your daughter.  Eventually all he ate was pasta or rice.  My sister had too much on her plate to deal with it other than just giving him whatever he would eat.  He is an adult now and has actually expanded his menu to white bread, pasta sauce, and some meat.  He has never seen a doctor about it.  I personally believe he has sensory issues.  He has otherwise grown into a very happy person, he just has never been able to stand the feel or the thought of most foods.  My sister was apparently somewhat the same way when she was younger, but has mostly gotten over it.  I have one daughter who has it very minimally.  She cannot eat mixed food textures together.  She also has other minimal sensory stuff but I do think it's all related.

My son has eating issues that started in infancy too. 

Because of elements of what you said, I would recommend doing an allergy panel first. Have more knowledge about her body's physical limitations first. 

After that I recommend the book Just Take a Bite! It's a good overview of feeding issues, including physical issues (tongue placement, mouth problems, trunk strength, sensitivities), and some behavioral techniques. While this book did not help us in the long run, I think it's a good resource for someone starting out. It's written by someone with a PhD in behavioral disorders and someone with a degree in OT. It covers a lot of physical issues you don't find in every picky-eater book, and small ideas to help make it better. Check out your library system. They may have a copy. Food Chaining was also an interesting read and might be easier to find in libraries. It definitely falls more within a behavioral approach. 

Part of me thinks it sounds sensory....that's what we're dealing with...and a lot of sensory issues need work with a behavioral psychologist to see much change. We can't really go that route (special medical diet), but a lot of that is making very small changes in the right direction and making sure they are rewarded. Slowly increasing those changes at a comfortable pace. That's the line most picky-eater books follow. I think the difference for most textural sensitivities is that you find out what category of foods doesn't work for her, and then work to help her expand in places she can eat. (Unless there is an element of control to her eating, in which case all bets are off and I really think the BP or other professionals are necessary.)

This is a very interesting thread, as I am dealing with similar issues with my ds. He is quite picky...preferring carbs just like your dd. He is also having issues with constipation, which has caused even pickier eating. We also have some behavior problems that we are seeing a behavioral pediatrician for later in the summer. I have often suspected a food intolerance...yet I'm not sure why exactly. Mom's intuition maybe? I am taking him back to his ped tomorrow to check up on his constipation and I may talk to him about the possibility of food intolerance. I just wish there was a better way to check for it other than an elimination diet. Removing gluten from ds's diet would leave him with nothing much to it. And the stress...oh the stress it would cause...

I recommend ruling out medical issues before going the therapy route.  Ds1 went through 16 months of therapy with 4 different therapist (including the top-rated multi-disciplinary feeding team in the US).  LOTS of time and energy, lots of hopes soaring and crashing down, lots of frustration, lots of $$, and no improvement.  Meanwhile, he dropped 80 percentile points in weight because they restricted his diet so much.  It turns out that it was a medical issue.  :(
Based upon our experiences, I think the refusal to eat when hungry is a big red flag that a child is not just being picky.  It signals that there is something else going on. 

In your situation, I would seek an allergist's help.  The tests are quick and may give you clues as to what is going on.  They aren't foolproof, and there are other food intolerance issues that aren't measured by the testing.  But ruling out IgE-mediated allergies would be a starting point. 

Eating issues come in so many varieties from sensory problems to medical problems.  I have 2 children with food issues but both are medical.  Between the two of them, we have severe food allergies, food intolerances, and autoimmune reaction (eosinophilic) in response to different foods.  It can take a lot of detective work to figure out what's happening, particularly if the same child has multiple issues/food triggers that are problematic.  Ruling out IgE allergies is a very simple place to start and may end your search right there.

I recommend ruling out medical issues before going the therapy route.  Ds1 went through 16 months of therapy with 4 different therapist (including the top-rated multi-disciplinary feeding team in the US).  LOTS of time and energy, lots of hopes soaring and crashing down, lots of frustration, lots of $$, and no improvement.  Meanwhile, he dropped 80 percentile points in weight because they restricted his diet so much.  It turns out that it was a medical issue.  :(

Based upon our experiences, I think the refusal to eat when hungry is a big red flag that a child is not just being picky.  It signals that there is something else going on. 

In your situation, I would seek an allergist's help.  The tests are quick and may give you clues as to what is going on.  They aren't foolproof, and there are other food intolerance issues that aren't measured by the testing.  But ruling out IgE-mediated allergies would be a starting point. 

Eating issues come in so many varieties from sensory problems to medical problems.  I have 2 children with food issues but both are medical.  Between the two of them, we have severe food allergies, food intolerances, and autoimmune reaction (eosinophilic) in response to different foods.  It can take a lot of detective work to figure out what's happening, particularly if the same child has multiple issues/food triggers that are problematic.  Ruling out IgE allergies is a very simple place to start and may end your search right there.

Eosinophilic esophagitis, etc. Good point.

I would bet real money that she has sensory/texture issues.  My oldest was like.  At around 12 he finally started expanding his tastes and at 16 he eats just about everything.  Please don't listen to anyone saying she will eat when she is hungry,etc.  if they have never dealt with sensory issues before.  See about a referral to a specialist(speech, OT) that can help and it would not hurt to have her tested for allergies, too.  Children will sometimes avoid or overly consume things that they are allergic to.  

Wow. So sorry for you! I have a VERY picky eater plus some with allergies (picky one included). first off - hugs!

Do you think your daughter could expand on what makes her itchy? My 6 year old has the most allergies and can immediately know which food has "made her mouth feel funny." Does she have dry skin or irritated skin? Eggs were the first thing we eliminated with dd6. She's allergic to much more, but that's the first thing we discovered.

Is there a possibility she likes attention from being picky? Sometimes I think kids feel a bit special when singled out, even for food preferences.

I know some may frown upon the idea, but would she drink a PediaSure or something like it?

If you think something is not right, I'd take her back to the Dr. You are your child's advocate,so if you feel your concerns aren't really being heard then find a Dr who will listen. I had Dr's tell me dd6 (at about age 2 months) couldn't possibly have food allergies when in fact she did (even as an adult it can be tempting to stick out your tongue for a good "told you so").

I hope you find an answer soon! Sorry I don't have more helpful advice!

She said the mouth itchy thing one time and I have asked her several times since (when she chews on her fingers) if her tongue bothers her, too, and she has said no. So that maybe was an exclusive event and I don't remember what she had eaten at that time. The itchy fingers continue though. DH said that his fingers get itchy when they are dry and he thinks that could be it, but they don't look dry. They look completely normal. I forgot to mention in my original post that over the past year she will occasionally say there is gunk in her throat and she can't get it out or swallow it or that's why she doesn't want to eat more sometimes. That's part of the reason I asked for the thyroid test because that's what it felt like when I was first hypothyroid. The gunk in the throat could be allergy related, I thought, after her thyroid test came back fine. She won't drink pediasure or even chocolate milk.

Find out if you have a feeding clinic in your area with a speech pathologist that specializes in feeding disorders.

Would the doctor's office know how to find one of these?

I have experience with the "picky eater" as well as the child with chronic digestive troubles.  You didn't mention whether or not your dd has any digestive problems...I wonder if she has chronic constipation given the foods you've listed.  That could make her feel sluggish and even kill her appetite at times. 

Both of mine (they're teens now) have tested negative for celiac , but they are both gluten intolerant.   We did the food allergy panel (blood test) and it made a world of difference here.  Adjusting to diet restrictions isn't easy (for the patient or the cook) but it's worth it to feel better.

I did forget to mention these on here (talked to the doctor about it a month and a half ago though.) She has complained about her tummy since she could talk (around 2.) Points to her belly button. She doesn't seem constipated to me (poops regularly - looks normal, without complaint) and the Dr. said her abdomen was soft and didn't seem concerned that was an issue. It doesn't look like celiac poo would either. She has been complaining about headaches more (since late summer maybe) and her head feeling 'funny.' She usually complains about this when she hasn't eaten and refuses a meal so I was attributing it to low blood sugar. I would so totally eliminate foods if I knew which ones to try, I'm just afraid of doing it unnecessarily and needlessly. DH thinks if I was to take away wheat to just go buy a bunch of gluten free bread and pancakes because she would likely eat that and she if she starts feeling better and more up to trying other things. I don't know how else to get rid of wheat since that's all she eats.

Do you think the issues are behavioral and part of a power struggle? If so I would check out Books by Ellyn Satter. I've found them sound and balanced.

In my own experience, when we have feeding issues, I refuse to make them my struggle. I see my role as providing the healthy kid-friendly food at regular intervals and see the child's role as choosing whether or not to eat it. I've found both my own kids and foster kids will always sort the issues out by themselves and rarely go for more than a meal in protest. I've noticed the same thing with lunches at Head Start. Preschoolers who at home will refuse to eat anything but goldfish crackers, will sit down with their classmates and share a meal. I'm guessing when they're hungry, everyone else is eating, there are no goldfish crackers available, food starts to look more appealing.

My disclaimer is that I've never parented a child with an underlying physical or psychiatric problem like anorexia... But among normal kids, even picky eaters will eat healthy food when they are hungry and that is the only option available.

This is where I struggle. Is the struggle a power struggle? She is my least strong-willed child out the older 4 (excluding baby!) Yet I feel as though I caused it, but I'm not sure how or how to fix it. She will refuse a meal then ask me 20 minutes later if she can eat something  because she is hungry. I know she is hungry, she will go to her room and cry about it. She's my least whiney. Dh thinks I created this because I allowed her other choices, but she will go meal after meal without eating. She isn't growing the same rate as all my other children. The past 6 months I have had numerous strangers come up to me and ask if I have twins because her little sister (22 months younger) and her are the same size. So I just don't buy the starve your kid until they eat. I did this today to see what would happen (basically no toast!) I had frozen left over French toast from the other day that she ate at that time. She ate her breakfast sausage and said she didn't want the French toast, just regular toast with butter. I said I wasn't getting up to make anything else. So she just went without and was nasty and cried on and off for an hour after that but then got better and played with her sister. Lunch was pork chops and boiled potatoes and yogurt made with berries that I pureed. She took a bite of the yogurt and complained that it wasn't strawberry banana. Wouldn't try anything else either. By 2 in the afternoon she was still asking to eat something. All she wanted was cheese. I let her have a couple slices of cheese. She took 2 bites of one slice and didn't want anymore. I asked why she didn't want it and she said it was "too dry." ?? It was Colby jack and rather soft. She would eat this like candy not too long ago. At supper she ate the crust off of a chicken strip and ate one bite of a carrot stick with ranch (she hadn't done this in a year!) Stated she didn't like the taste of chicken anymore. She wouldn't eat/try applesauce or peas either.

I just don't know how NOT to make it a struggle. Even if I don't say a word or answer her constant "I'm hungry, what else is there?" it's still a struggle. DH says just let her starve if she won't eat what's on the table and she'll eventually eat. Well, she won't eat! I told him I'm afraid of her developing an eating disorder and he said she already has one. Then what's the cause? If I knew the cause I could help fix it or make it better somehow.

The things she likes are super salt-heavy.   I don't know what to do about that, but it struck me.

Does she like fruit?

She does like salty things, but that's because I refuse to keep sweet things around, otherwise that's all she'd ask for and she gets even nastier when she's had sugar. She ate berries in the summer when we picked some and I bought some in the store recently because she asked but then she said they were to sour and wouldn't eat them. She ate (sucked on, actually) oranges a couple months ago but won't eat them now.

Thanks for all the replies, every one. I'm too tired to type much more tonight, I'll check back tomorrow again. I have thought of the sensory issues too, especially smell and taste. She will complain of water sometimes "tasting like pennies." I'm just going to have to schedule a check up again I think and at least get the allergy testing done.

I would 1) schedule a full allergy panel, 2) make an appointment with a feeding specialist.   An OT or SLP will be able to help you with techniques like food chaining to help her eat different things.  In the meantime, feed her what she will willingly eat.  Kids with strong food aversions can end up hospitalized due to refusal to eat.    Here is a good article for youhttp://mealtimehostage.wordpress.com/tag/food-chaining/

Yet I feel as though I caused it, but I'm not sure how or how to fix it. 

Please don't listen to any voice that makes you think that it's a parenting issue. It isn't.

Also ignore all comments that say, "When she's hungry, she'll eat." This is not true for every child. All children are not the same, and most people only know about their own experience.

Please look for help beyond the child's pediatrician. From my experience they are unhelpful for issues in this category.

Might she eat more if she made her own snack? 

Allergy tests should probably be the first thing on the list (in my opinion).

Hang in there.  You're on the right track to finding some answers.  What you describe isn't the typical "picky eater," and a lot of parents can't relate to having a child with real feeding issues because they just haven't experienced it before.  Food issues are emotionally exhausting because it's an every day (several times a day/all day) thing.  Hoping you get some clear answers very soon!

Have you gotten her zinc levels checked?

Zinc plays an important part in our ability to taste and smell.  Those with low zinc are often "picky eaters" because food just has no taste and is not appetizing.  One other poster noticed that your daughter seems to prefer foods that are salty-this can be one of the signs of a zinc deficiency.  Salt and/or highly sweetened foods are the only ones that register taste and thus are the foods of choice.  Also, the "water tasting like pennies" is a big clue as zinc levels and copper levels are intertwined. 

I have a heredity predisposition to low zinc levels.  As a result, I have experienced periods where I can not taste or smell food and thus have very little appetite though I physically feel hungry (it usually happens to me after an illness).  Even foods that I normally love don't taste right.  Not only do the foods not taste right, they taste bad!  It also makes cooking very difficult because I tend to drown the food with seasoning because I can't taste it but it turns out to be way too much for everyone else.  Now that I know the connection between proper zinc levels and the ability to normally taste and smell, I can supplement zinc when I start to notice a difference in the foods I eat.  

You might try supplementing with a good zinc supplement and see if that makes a difference.  I usually notice a difference in just a couple of days.  But beware-zinc taken on an empty stomach can cause nausea and vomiting so if you decide to supplement it is best when there is food in the tummy.

I haven't read the other replies so sorry if any of my suggestions are redundant.

One can test negative for celiac and still be gluten sensitive. a gluten sensitive child will often times not grow at a normal rate and tend to be smaller. I know an eleven year old gluten sensitive kid who is the same size as her seven year old sister, who isn't as sensitive.

I strongly suggest bioenrgetic testing for allergies/food sensitivities, it's quick and painless and accurate. you need to know yesterday what's causing her to mouth to itch. Call local allergy clinics Or naturopathic type places and ask who does bio energetic testing.

I would strongly suspect any food to be a culprit if she's eating it repeatedly and only wanting it. Sounds like wheat is a biggie for her. Can you replace her breads and crackers with gluten free variety to ween her off of it?

Hang in there. I have a kid who was extremely picky with foods and textures gradually eliminating many until only a few remained. Today, that kid is 13 and eats almost everything, including some really weird things like lobster and greens when five years ago he would only eat grilled cheese sandwiches. It does get better.

It is not your fault.

It is not your fault.

It is not your fault.

I know it, but I don't feel it sometimes. I know I've been to hard on her in the past.

Please don't listen to any voice that makes you think that it's a parenting issue. It isn't.

Also ignore all comments that say, "When she's hungry, she'll eat." This is not true for every child. All children are not the same, and most people only know about their own experience.

Please look for help beyond the child's pediatrician. From my experience they are unhelpful for issues in this category.

Might she eat more if she made her own snack? 

Allergy tests should probably be the first thing on the list (in my opinion).

I now realize it isn't my issue anymore. She does like to help cooking and says things look and smell good but she just doesn't want to try them. I suppose it's a stepping stone. Sometimes I make what she asks and then she is so disappointed (like banana muffins.) It's sad for both of us :( It's like she wants to like things but she just can't.

If it is a sensory issue, buying gluten free is probably not going to help. Most of those foods have a different texture than wheat. It takes a lot of experimenting with different flours for different types of food.

Until now I always avoided talking to her about her food choices thinking bringing it up would make it an 'issue' and I didn't want her to know that there was one. I was asking her why she doesn't like eggs anymore today and she said "I like how they taste but they feels so icky in my mouth." That's TOTALLY sensory! She said she like crunchy things, which is true for the most part. I asked if she would like hot dogs (she ate a bite last summer) and she said "no, you said I'd choke on it." ACK! She must have heard me tell DH how to cut up hot dogs so the baby wouldn't choke. Is this an anxiety thing? She doesn't seem to be anxious otherwise, or is that what her cranky outbursts are? I asked if things get stuck in her throat and she said they are more lately because some things are hard to chew. This morning she spit out 2 bites of French toast and said she just couldn't chew it. 

I would 1) schedule a full allergy panel, 2) make an appointment with a feeding specialist.   An OT or SLP will be able to help you with techniques like food chaining to help her eat different things.  In the meantime, feed her what she will willingly eat.  Kids with strong food aversions can end up hospitalized due to refusal to eat.    Here is a good article for youhttp://mealtimehostage.wordpress.com/tag/food-chaining/

I'm going to do this! Thanks for this website.

I'll look into zinc supplements or a good vitamin/mineral that she'll take.

Thanks everyone for the advice. You've really helped me sort out and think of what the problems might actually be and how I can go about helping her. Sitting and crying in the evening hasn't gotten me anywhere :(

Could the itchy fingers really be a nerve thing from nutritional deficiencies? I think I read that somewhere. I think she looks very pale, more in her face than even the rest of her body. I thought it was anemia, but can it have other reasons? I've had relatives comment about it lately.

I also have a child I believe has sensory issues along with his picky eating habits. I'll reiterate that these kids will NOT just eat when they are hungry. I fell for that when he was younger. He's three, he just has to eat what I serve, it's a power play, I'm not a short-order cook! My poor little guy didn't eat for almost two days and then I found him eating paper, he was that starving. I still can't believe I did that to him.

My ds sounds a little better off than yours in that he will drink chocolate milk and certain orange juices, loves medicine/vitamins (I do not understand that at all) but the salty, buttery (only one brand!), carbohydrate thing is identical. He lived on pediasure his whole second year of life.  

I don't have any advice. We stopped fighting him so he can trust us again. You'd probably recognize the look of terror that he brings to each and every meal, fearful of what food I'd be forcing him to 'just try two bites'. He will now ask what's for dinner and just be absolutely giddy that the menu includes something for him and there won't be any pressure to try new foods. 

As we've regained his trust, he has willingly tried one or two new foods that we were 99% sure he'd like (like garlic french fry puffs at a restaurant). 

We've got a visit to a specialist on our list, and I thank the other posters for their suggestions. It's nice to know we're not alone in this. It's just so sad when your child is fearful of food.

I also have a child I believe has sensory issues along with his picky eating habits. I'll reiterate that these kids will NOT just eat when they are hungry. I fell for that when he was younger. He's three, he just has to eat what I serve, it's a power play, I'm not a short-order cook! My poor little guy didn't eat for almost two days and then I found him eating paper, he was that starving. I still can't believe I did that to him.

My ds sounds a little better off than yours in that he will drink chocolate milk and certain orange juices, loves medicine/vitamins (I do not understand that at all) but the salty, buttery (only one brand!), carbohydrate thing is identical. He lived on pediasure his whole second year of life.  

I don't have any advice. We stopped fighting him so he can trust us again. You'd probably recognize the look of terror that he brings to each and every meal, fearful of what food I'd be forcing him to 'just try two bites'. He will now ask what's for dinner and just be absolutely giddy that the menu includes something for him and there won't be any pressure to try new foods. 

As we've regained his trust, he has willingly tried one or two new foods that we were 99% sure he'd like (like garlic french fry puffs at a restaurant). 

We've got a visit to a specialist on our list, and I thank the other posters for their suggestions. It's nice to know we're not alone in this. It's just so sad when your child is fearful of food.

It is so sad. There is something about the look in her face depending on what's on the table - disappointment, maybe fear. Yesterday she asked me (crying), "How come everyone else gets what they want to eat but I don't?" I think she meant that everyone else is enjoying what's on the table and there is nothing she likes, so she thinks she was left out. So I gave her toast with butter, what she wanted.