Menu

My Side of the Mountain - We LOVED it!

We recently read My Side of the Mountain, On the Far Side of the Mountain, and currently reading Frightful's Mountain (we bought the trilogy):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0525462694/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Love, love, love, love, love it! Seriously, love! I found the first book especially amazing. I didn't ever want it to end!

Any other favorites that I might love as much as this one?

HUGE favorite with DSs here too! :) At about that same age, these were VERY much enjoyed:

Realistic

- The Great Wheel (Lawson) 

- Sign of the Beaver (Speare)

- Kildee House (Montgomery)

- Chucuro, Wild Pony of the Pampa

- Wolves of Willoughby Chase (Aiken)

- In the Year of The Boar and Jackie Robinson (Lord)

- Toothpaste Millionaire (Merrill)

- Island of the Blue Dolphins (O'Dell) -- more serious/mature than My Side of the Mountain

Non-Realistic

- Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH (O'Brien)

- The Rescuers, Miss Bianca, The Turret, Miss Bianca in the Salt Mines, Miss Bianca in the Orient (Sharp)

- Half Magic; Magic by the Lake; Knight's Castle; Time Garden; Seven Day Magic (Eager)

- Five Children and It (Nesbit)

- Book of Dragons (Nesbit)

- Ben and Me (Lawson)

- The Twenty One Balloons (du Bois)

- Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (Fleming)

I've thought about those before, but then I read reviews where people literally HATED his stuff. I ended up thinking it wouldn't be for us. Hmmmm.

Paulsen's survivor story books are excellent.  The only one we didn't like was The Rifle - it was actually good - until the stupid ending.  If you were going to skip any Paulsen books, skip that one, but the rest are really good.

Her nature books are wonderful, too. Definitely not stories, but she really engages the reader.

Do you have any you'd recommend? I'm not sure which ones you are referring to. Thank you so much! It sounds like they are non-fiction? (which we love also!)

Paulsen's survivor story books are excellent.  The only one we didn't like was The Rifle - it was actually good - until the stupid ending.  If you were going to skip any Paulsen books, skip that one, but the rest are really good.

Thank you! Which one would you start with? Hatchet?

Two that weren't mentioned that come to mind are A Week in the Woods by Andrew Clements and Gone Away Lake and its sequels by Elizabeth Enright.  The Gone Away Lake books are also real naturalist books, full of tons of nature details.  They will make you long for a lush summer if you read them now, that's for sure.

My 4th grade son fell in love with Sam's adventures last summer.  He is using the K12 curriculum through a virtual academy this year and has since been introduced to adaptations of Robinson Crusoe and now Swiss Family Robinson (whose author wrote the book because his sons loved RC a couple hundred years ago).  He LOVES these books.  I guess Robinson Crusoe is the classic survival story.  Missed that in my education (or don't remember it).  Also, Jean C. George wrote a nature study guide with her daughter Twig and my son loves this book too.  My son just read the SFR book this week for school and couldn't put the book down.  He came down glowing and raving, I love this book. 

Jim Weiss has recorded Swiss Family Robinson and we checked the cd out from the library this week.  About 12 hours of material?  Maybe that one is unabridged. 

Yes, I wasn't sure if my son would like SFR based on the Amazon reviews I'd read; wasn't sure if it'd be too different from My Side.  Some reviews stressed all the hunting and killing in the book and then they complained about abridged versions too and which events were left out.  In fact, I posted about a week ago to see what versions of SFR other people recommended.  Our K12 unit uses a Dover edition of the book which I have since found out is an unabridged version of an English translation of the original.  So my son wasn't even reading an abridged version last week.  I'm surprised he hung with that vocabulary.  I have only read 30 pages of it so far but I think I am starting to see why he loves this book.  This family is discovering a new creature or creating inventions for survival not just every chapter.  Not just every page, but almost every paragraph!  If the rest of the book is like this, I can see how the author (who was a preacher) crafted this story for his four sons all those years ago based on their love for Robinson Crusoe.  There's lots of moralizing too by the father in the story.  But it seems to me, the original version's intended audience was young people.  So maybe that is why my son enjoyed the unabridged Dover edition.

I checked out all the different editions at our public library plus the Jim Weiss cd.  The Jim Weiss cd is a big hit.  My son says there's even more detail on the cd. 

Some of our favorite books,...... Shiloh, Shiloh season & Saving Shiloh.----  About a boy & "his" dog

Little Britches, Father & I were Ranchers.....That is the first one There are a bunch. (By Ralph Moody)  About the Authors Chilhood on a ranchout west.(think male version of little house on the Prairie .....LOVE This series

Banner in the Sky--Climbing the impossible mountain

Where the Red Fern grows--A boy & his dogs

Nathen T Riggens Serries By Stephen Bly --A boy & his adventures in the old west. (There are 6 books With interesting names #1  The Dog that Wouldn't Smile)

Bud & Me  By Alta Abernathy   --About Bud & Temple Abrnathy's Horseback adventuresin 1909  (True story about a 6 &9 year old boy)

North to Freedom

Escape From Wausau

Snow Treasure          ---Last # relate to war era in some way

Books by Lois Walfrid Johnson She has a few different series we like.

We love to read  =)