Menu

great audiobooks (not necessarily great books)

Our librarian recommended Clementine for our audiobook-loving family, and it was a big hit because we all loved the performance, not necessarily the book. 

Some audiobooks are great because the books are interesting and the narration is good  (Stockard Channing's narration of the Ramona books comes to mind), but I'm interested in finding more of these unexpectedly entertaining performances. 

Any suggestions? If I have to listen to David Pittu read another A to Z Mystery again, I might drive off the road!

Definitely EB White reading Trumpet of the Swan or Charlotte's Web.

I am so glad you said that! I just grabbed that from the library for a road trip tomorrow :) 

I actually like Jim Weiss (DH tolerates him most of the time, but there are some things he won't listen to) and was pleased to discover he also narrates a lot of classic literature. One of our favorites is Betrix Potter's The Tale of Peter Rabit.

Shiloh. by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor (series)

Little Britches, Father & I were ranchers. By Ralph Moody (series)

Caddie Woodlawn. By Carol Ryrie ? Brinks

Nick Of Time. & Time Pirates. By Ted Bell

My side of the Mountain

Old Yeller

The Kingdom series By Chuck Black

Little House on the Praire series

These are some of our favorites that we listen to on road trips

The Cricket in Times Square was excellent. They included the cricket "singing" and it was very effective.

Agree with others that the Artemis Fowl narration was great (although they threw a new narrator in for a book or two in the middle of the series, which was irritating) and the Tim Curry narration of Lemony Snicket is great too. 

Erica in OR

A Door in the Wall - much better with accents

Understood Betsy - a brilliant story but weird long sentences - amazing on audio

Whales on Stilts - hysterical. Narrator is amazing.

The focus on the Family Narnia series. Read the books first, but the dramatized audio is great for long car rides.

Socks, read by Neil Patrick Harris

The Series of Unfortunate Events books that Are read by Tim Curry. Unfortunately, Lemony Snickett is not a good reader.

I loved Tim Curry but he totally freaked my kids out. A little too authentically creepy. :) 

I loved Harry Potter with Jim Dale as the narrator. He's amazing. 

Skulduggery Pleasant is the best audiobook we've ever listened to.  I tried to read the book and it was good but nowhere near as amazing as the audiobook.  There are parts that are a little creepy and there's magic involved if your family is opposed to that.  DD listened to it with us at seven and we thought it was appropriate.  

Peter and the Starcatchers series. Could be scary for younger kids though.

Any of the Roald Dahl stories

Revolting Rhymes is an all time favorite here-my kids can recite many lines from it.  It's retelling of well-known fairy tales, in rhyme, with some changes in the stories.  Generally I *hate* altered retellings of fairy tales, but these are classic Dahl and we love them.  Also, don't miss The Witches read by Lynn Redgrave.  It is worth looking for her reading of it-soooo good. 

"I'm talking about...REAL witches.."

I thought of a few more:

Ginger Pte and Pinky Pye narrated by Kate Forbes.

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane narrated by Judith Ivey.

As someone else has already mentioned, the Clementine books are fantastic. My girls have listened to the Little House series over and over and over. My own favorites are probably the E.B. White books narrated by the author himself.

Skulduggery Pleasant is the best audiobook we've ever listened to.  I tried to read the book and it was good but nowhere near as amazing as the audiobook.  There are parts that are a little creepy and there's magic involved if your family is opposed to that.  DD listened to it with us at seven and we thought it was appropriate.  

Forgot that one! Totally agree, narrator is amazing!

Erica in OR