Menu

Canadians? Need authentic food ideas

dirty ethel rackham

Our homeschool 4-H club has chosen to represent Canada for our county's International Night.  We need to prepare food that screams "Canada", but it needs to be economical and, preferably, vegetarian or inexpensive meat and can be handed out in individual servings.  Also, we serve desert as well (that can be put out as single servings as well.)  We need to be able to make them ahead of time and serve it there.  We can have crock pots. 

Any ideas? 

For dessert, Nanaimo bars. :)

For a main dish, what about poutine? 

That dessert looks really good.  I'll have to make that.  But, I just can't stomach the thought of gravy on fries.  Plus, this doesn't seem like something that would be able to be made at 4 pm, kept warm and served at 6pm.  We won't have kitchen facilities where will be - only an outlet to plug in a crock pot. 

Bolt, you crack me up.

Look in your grocer's canned bean aisle. Van Camp's, Bush's, etc will have maple-flavored baked beans.

ETA You can just make your favorite beans in the crockpot and add a lot of maple syrup. Serve in those little plastic cups with a small spoon like you get at the ice cream place--they may even give you some if you ask and tell them it's for scouts.

When we go to Canada, the main things my guys always want are Fish & Chips and Poutine...

To me, poutine is as native Canadian as you're going to get.

Of course, if you can't find cheese curd (as we can't around here), then you're out of luck even thinking about making it.  It just doesn't taste right with regular cheeses.

If you can find cheese curd, then gravy could be made in the crock pot and fries would have to be the baked and kept warm variety.

Fish & Chips would likely be far more expensive and far more difficult to keep warmed and still taste good.

Not Canadian, but we've lived here for the past 2 years:

For dessert, Nanaimo bars. :)

For a main dish, what about poutine?

These are the two things that immediately came to mind.

That dessert looks really good.  I'll have to make that.  But, I just can't stomach the thought of gravy on fries.  Plus, this doesn't seem like something that would be able to be made at 4 pm, kept warm and served at 6pm.  We won't have kitchen facilities where will be - only an outlet to plug in a crock pot.

I thought that about fries and gravy when we first got here ;) but now poutine is one of my favorite dishes.

Perhaps you could use those plastic nacho trays and serve the fires where the chips go and the gravy where the cheese goes. Then the fries wouldn't get soggy and folks could dip in whatever amount they feel led.

Canadians, would it still count as poutine that way, or do the fries have to be sauced? You could keep the fries warm in a roaster oven and the gravy in a crock pot.

Thanks for the link. Lots of great ideas here.  I hope that I get to try more of these things.  I loved the Barenaked Ladies song (and video) - had me laughing out loud. 

I think I may go with the maple beans.  We are doing a pot luck at tomorrow's meeting to sample different dishes and the food committee will pick the dish that will be served.  I am sure someone else will bring poutine.  I know one of the moms will bring perogies (a family favorite - her husband is both Canadian and Ukrainian.)