Menu

Affordable options to get fitted for contacts?

Swimtaxi234

Last Spring, I took my children for a yearly eye exam.  Since we hadn't lived here long, I asked several people where they went and the place I choose was highly recommended.

I really liked the office, the service, and the doctor, but my heart almost stopped when I got the bill for $175 just to "fit" my daughter into contacts (it was $60 at her prior visits).  My daughter had been wearing contacts for years and the only thing that changed was adding a fractional change to her existing prescription for daily disposable contacts. The $175 fee was in addition to the eye exam and wasn't covered by our insurance.

If you or your children were contacts, how much do you pay for this service and where do you go?

We go to a local place, but have vision insurance which pays for most of it. However, they also offer a number of coupons for those without insurance so I'd search the web for something like "contact lens fitting" plus your lcation plus coupon. VisionDirect.com is by far the cheapest place I've found to buy the lenses.

I had never heard of such a thing until I took my 10 yo son in for an exam at a new-to-us place a few months ago. I was LIVID to find out that not only was the "fitting" an additional fee (on top of the exam, which is already higher for contacts), but that it required another appointment. Then, of course, at that appointment, they put you in contacts and make you come back a week later. That is a whopping three visits, over two to three weeks, minimum, for contacts, theoretically every year. Everyone in my family wears contacts, so that would be 15!!! visits per year minimum. Who has time for that?

Anyway, long story short, we are going back to our old guy, who is a little strange but far more straightforward, and are staying away from the big clinics from now on. It seems to be the new thing, and it is ridiculous.

WHOA! My 12 year old wears contacts. We do have some eye insurance that covers and annual exam and partially cover a pair of glasses OR contacts once a year. But I'm pretty sure we paid maybe $50 at most for our first contact fitting and CLASS! We go to a pediatric ophthalmologist and they set up a private class with a tech to learn and use contacts. It was an hour and a half and it was awesome. This place is great - it has the most amazing children's eyeglass collection. People come from out of state to use this place.

Boy needs an exam and update in May. I will be interested with what needs to happen. We did have 3 visits for initial contact fitting (exam and fitting, contact "class", recheck), but I will be irritated if we have to do that every year. I was fine for it for the first fitting. It shouldn't be rocket science to fit contacts with someone who's already been successfully using contacts IMO.

I went to Costco before I had LASIK. I wouldn't go there if I had any real eye issues, but it was fine for a basic exam and contacts. The contact exam is usually more than an eyeglass exam because they won't make a profit off your glasses. Costco has an independent optometrist who doesn't make money off your glasses anyway.

I go to Costco (you don't have to be a member for the appt part- but you do to buy the contacts).  Then I  buy the contacts monthly-- I buy twice as many as I use for the entire year, then I have another year's worth of contacts and I don't have to go through the expense of another visit. 

(is that the appropriate use of an apostrophe? is the year possessive?) GAH...

We went to an independent optometrist not affiliated with any chain 11 days ago to get contacts for my 14 year old.  The total cost was $130.  That included her annual eye exam, contact fitting, class to learn how to put them in and take them out (this was the first time she's ever had contacts), and a follow-up a week later to make sure the contacts were working okay for her (total of 3 visits).  I think the contacts added around $40 or 50 to the cost of the regular exam (but future years will be less since she won't need the class and follow-up appointment).