Menu

I want to give up Sugar...

SharonM

I'd tried a lot of times but failed....until recently, after going paleo. The difference,I think, is the extra fat I'm consuming. It helps you feel satiated without sugars.

every so often I'll have a piece of fruit, but I'm better off without that really as it makes me crave another piece.

I'm no help, because I don't want to give up sugar.

But I can't help but notice that you capitalized "Sugar" in your thread title, so either it was a typo... or you like sugar A LOT. ;)

Do you want to give it up completely and immediately, or do you plan to cut back first and gradually quit?

AMDG

Well, I have given up sugar and I'll tell you right up front: it isn't easy!

It is possible, though.

My kiddo has pretty bad headaches and in searching for some relief, we tried giving up sugar.

My daughter felt that facing a future with NO sugar was not a future she really wanted to contemplate so we started off with having no sugar all days but one and then we'd have one sugar day per week. My daughter almost immediately felt a difference in her headaches and fatigue and I felt an e.n.o.r.m.o.u.s difference.

We played around with which day to keep as our sugar day. We started with Saturday but we felt awful on Sunday and especially Monday. We didn't want to start the week off that way. We tried shifting to Thursday and did that a couple of weeks.

This all started last August.

Eventually we just gave it up altogether and decided that we'd still just have sweets on special occassions.

However, Halloween, All Saints, Thanksgiving, end of semester parties and cast party all came along, back to back, and the next thing we knew, we were right back at eating sugar as before. A week or so before before Christmas, my girl came to me very tearfully and said she just couldn't go on eating it b/c of her headaches. We went to no sugar then. None at all on a regular basis and have decided that we needed to define the special occassions that we'd have sugar.

I am at a place where I'm ready to say never again when I'm home alone and have all food things at home that don't have sugar. I'm good when we eat out and I dont have very much problem with cravings that can't be managed with fruit or sometimes 85% dark chocolate.

For both of us, though, the most difficult of all is going to parties. When someone makes a lovely dessert it is very hard to say no. It's hard to say no to a person who worked hard to make it and it's hard to deny myself a yummy homemade goody. Recently, we had both a Valentines Day party and a birthday party. The Valentines party was much easier on us. The sugary offerings, while looking really good, were boughten and less tempting and the food was NOT the focus of the party. At the party last night, though, the cupcakes were homemade and the food and just sitting around visiting and eating was the party so, it was very difficult.

We did it, though.

We have another party coming up in a couple of weeks . . . Sigh . . . I really believe my daughter will have sugar at that party. Her headache will spike and she'll go back to no sugar with a whimper.

I feel better in every way. I never want to go back. I face temptations/challenges for sure but I really do hope this is the end of sugar for me.

While my daughter's headaches are about halved, they aren't gone. We are starting the UW headache elimination diet and my daughter really hopes that she will discover that it was something else altogether. She's hoping that she'll find out that dairy is the problem and sugar was getting a bad rap. She'd be happier still if it turns out to be onions or something.

AMDG

Well, I have given up sugar and I'll tell you right up front: it isn't easy!

It is possible, though.

My kiddo has pretty bad headaches and in searching for some relief, we tried giving up sugar.

My daughter felt that facing a future with NO sugar was not a future she really wanted to contemplate so we started off with having no sugar all days but one and then we'd have one sugar day per week. My daughter almost immediately felt a difference in her headaches and fatigue and I felt an e.n.o.r.m.o.u.s difference.

We played around with which day to keep as our sugar day. We started with Saturday but we felt awful on Sunday and especially Monday. We didn't want to start the week off that way. We tried shifting to Thursday and did that a couple of weeks.

This all started last August.

Eventually we just gave it up altogether and decided that we'd still just have sweets on special occassions.

However, Halloween, All Saints, Thanksgiving, end of semester parties and cast party all came along, back to back, and the next thing we knew, we were right back at eating sugar as before. A week or so before before Christmas, my girl came to me very tearfully and said she just couldn't go on eating it b/c of her headaches. We went to no sugar then. None at all on a regular basis and have decided that we needed to define the special occassions that we'd have sugar.

I am at a place where I'm ready to say never again. When I'm home alone and have all food things at home that don't have sugar, I'm good. I'm good when we eat out and I dont have very much problem with cravings that can't be managed with fruit or sometimes 85% dark chocolate.

For both of us, though, the most difficult of all is going to parties. When someone makes a lovely dessert it is very hard to say no. It's hard to say no to a person who worked hard to make it and it's hard to deny myself a yummy homemade goody. Recently, we had both a Valentines Day party and a birthday party. The Valentines party was much easier on us. The sugary offerings, while looking really good, were boughten and less tempting and the food was NOT the focus of the party. At the party last night, though, the cupcakes were homemade and the food and just sitting around visiting and eating was the party so, it was very difficult.

We did it, though.

We have another party coming up in a couple of weeks . . . Sigh . . . I really believe my daughter will have sugar at that party. Her headache will spike and she'll go back to no sugar with a whimper.

I feel better in every way. I never want to go back. I face temptations/challenges for sure but I really do hope this is the end of sugar for me.

While my daughter's headaches are about halved, they aren't gone. We are starting the UW headache elimination diet and my daughter really hopes that she will discover that it was something else altogether. She's hoping that she'll find out that dairy is the problem and sugar was getting a bad rap. She'd be happier still if it turns out to be onions or something.

First you have to decide why you are doing what you are doing and then start by defining "sugar".  Years ago my husband and I gave up any refined sugar and white flour.  But my favorite treats were dried dates...  Lots of sugar in those:)

We stayed completely off processed sugar and flour for a couple of years- and felt great- but then one of our children had an unrelated medical crisis that kept us in and out of hospitals for a couple of years.  Then we went into survival mode and ate anything people brought us.

Now we eat clean- food should remember where it came from- tons and tons of fruit and veggies and and we eat a lot of venison,  I stay off of gluten but eat other grains, especially oats.   I am a big chocolate lover...  So yes we are back "on" sugar and I have no motivation to go completely off again.  I do limit my sugar to things that look really really yummy and I really want them- not just casual snacking.

To go completely off - in my experience was that cold turkey was the easiest way to go.   No diet book required for that.   I decided ahead of time that for my kids birthdays that I would have dessert but other than that nothing.  I felt like I had the flu after about a week in. It was awful.  Terrible withdrawal headaches too.  Frequent snaking on raw almonds helped.  All in all I felt extremely lousy and cranky for about a month and then I felt fabulous.  The craving for sugar disappeared in a couple of months.  Even now my tastes buds remained changed and I no longer like things as sweet as I once did.

Btw, we did it for health reasons, not weight loss.  I'm not a big fan of giving up food groups as a viable way to keep weight off.

If you eat no sugar, what do you have for breakfast? That is our biggest downfall. My kids love a sweet breakfast. They will do fine all day but breakfast is so hard to figure out. They want pancakes, waffles, muffins, cereal, etc. I like leftovers for breakfast (soup is great!) but they won't do it.

I have finally been able to do it, but I have to have ways to have sweet without sugar.  I have started Trim Healthy Mama.  It has really helped.  Lots and lots of recipes with stevia.  They do have some other sweeteners in there, but I can't use the sugar alcohol stuff, it gives me digestive issues.

Dawn

Guest submarines

I was off processed sugar for a 4 years, but not 100%--I'd be mostly off, but would have an occasional week when I'd be "on" again. Last year when I was depressed and busy and couldn't work out because of an injury I ate a lot of chocolate and carbs and gained a lot of weight. I'm not even sure how much, because I'm afraid to find out. :lol: I'm guessing more than 30lb. It is the first time I gained so much and so quickly without being pregnant, so I was also in denial for a long time, and I wasn't motivated to do anything about it. Then something clicked! :laugh:

I've been off sugar (including fruits) and low carbs for the last 13 days. So this time it is to lose weight, but I'll maintain a less strict version more long term as well. I find it rather easy after the first 3-4 days, as I'm not a sugar person. 

In 2 weeks I'll start having some berries and fruits and dark chocolates on occasion.

I know I lost weight based on how my jeans feel--I can wear my previously very tight jeans comfortably, even as they came out of the wash. I think I lost at least an inch or more on my hips and thighs. I still have a way bigger than usual muffin top, but I'm very encouraged by the results of the first two weeks. I might even weigh myself in 2 weeks time.

Nowadays so many people are off sugar, either as a 30 day challenge, or as a lifestyle, that it is quite easy socially to say "no" to sugar and people seem to understand and no bug you. When we do a potluck, I just say in the beginning that I'm off sugar--this way I'm not tempted to sneak a muffin. I usually bring a lot of cheese and fruits for myself to snack on.

Guest submarines

If you eat no sugar, what do you have for breakfast? That is our biggest downfall. My kids love a sweet breakfast. They will do fine all day but breakfast is so hard to figure out. They want pancakes, waffles, muffins, cereal, etc. I like leftovers for breakfast (soup is great!) but they won't do it.

My kids used to like cereal and pancakes for breakfast, but we transitioned to bacon and eggs, or just eggs. I feel that if they have a muffin in addition to an egg, it is already better than just a muffin.

But not just any muffin! I make almond flour muffins, or black bean brownies, sweetened with figs and / or maple syrup. I started gradually using way less sweeteners, and the kids haven't complained. :D

I gave up sugar Jan 1 due to a knee injury, and let me tell you that I didn't just capitalize the s, I wrote the whole word in large caps. I do drink green smoothies with fruit, those are my sweet allowance. I haven't lost any weight, but haven't gained any either despite inactivity due to another health issue. I am slim and athletic, so perhaps I just dont have any to spare.

It was easer at first than expected, but the last few weeks have been a bit more difficult. I an still craving sweets a bit, but those who have gone before me say it will get better.

Good luck to you; please let us know how it goes. :)

Thanks to everyone who replied. I have gained a lot of weight since my babies were born (23 yrs ago!)  It just keeps going up. I think I have gained almost 10lbs since Christmas.

Since I went back to school, our eating at home is horrible. Lots more fast food and convenience food.  I want to move to more veggies and whole grains, lean meat..

I do feel better when I eat and egg and whole wheat toast for breakfast. So I will start with that. I also take almonds to snack on in the morning and afternoon. Trying to only drink water.

I am glad to hear others who have been successful with changing their life style too.

Guest submarines

Thanks to everyone who replied. I have gained a lot of weight since my babies were born (23 yrs ago!)  It just keeps going up. I think I have gained almost 10lbs since Christmas.

Since I went back to school, our eating at home is horrible. Lots more fast food and convenience food.  I want to move to more veggies and whole grains, lean meat..

I do feel better when I eat and egg and whole wheat toast for breakfast. So I will start with that. I also take almonds to snack on in the morning and afternoon. Trying to only drink water.

I am glad to hear others who have been successful with changing their life style too.

What about drinking unsweetened tea? It is an acquired taste, but now I can't imagine adding sweeteners to teas (black, green, herbal). The flavor is so much better without the sweeteners.

Good luck with your journey!

On the breakfast, bulletproof coffee is what finally helped me get rid of the sugar in my coffee, and that is my whole breakfast. But, I eat LCHF, which is more complicated than just no sugar (for instance, I eat fat meat rather than lean meat. fat replaces carbs as my energy source.)

My kids still eat plenty of sugar. They aren't on my meal plan.

For me it was easy.  Process of elimination told me that my asthma troubles tied in to eating sugary stuff.  I stopped all sugary things (other than natural sugars), and my breathing troubles were almost nil.  Fell and started eating sugar again, and breathing trouble came back.  So the being able to breathe, for me, trumps the urge to eat sugar.