Menu

Offbeat documentaries?

We've enjoyed several good slightly offbeat documentaries and I'd love to see recommendations for more.  By this I just mean that they're not things that clearly align with a school subject.  For example, we really enjoyed Life of Mammals, Life of Birds, etc. when we were studying zoology.  So not that.  More like things about unexpected subjects or follow a variety of issues or things that don't fit neatly into a single category.

The two that come to mind are Between the Folds, about origami, and Objectified, about the design of everyday objects.

Any other well made, engaging documentaries that you and you kids have enjoyed together?  Bonus if it's on Netflix or available online easily.

That sounds like a Netflix category I would enjoy, LOL, "offbeat documentaries."

Animal Planet most extreme

I will look through my Netflix history for more, we watch weird educational stuff

On nova/PBS online:

The Dust Bowl

Making Stuff Colder

A few more I can't find right now, they have many interesting things

I really enjoyed Donald in Mathmagic Land. That would be Donald Duck, mind you. In a similar vein (pun intended) is one about the body, whose name escapes me. They're very retro.

My son really enjoyed some episodes of Dirty Jobs. There is some occasional "coarse" language but anything really bad gets bleeped. The host goes around trying out different jobs. I highly recommend the one where he works on the farm recycling Las Vegas buffet food into pig feed. The trip down the SF sewers was pretty lively too. Not quite what you're asking for, but close enough! ;)

I saw Jiro Dreams of Sushi, which is awesome, but I'm thinking the subtitles might be too many for my kids, though parents of older kids should take note!

The Story of 1 seems perfect.  It's not on Netflix anymore, but it is uploaded in full by several people on a certain popular video site that everyone has surely heard of and hasn't been taken down yet.

Several of these others look really interesting.  I'm psyched to load up our watching queue.  Keep 'em coming... :)

"You Have Used Me as a Fish Long Enough" and others by BBC director Adam Curtis. Even the title sounds quirky. They are excellent movies and I highly recommend them, but not till at least Logic stage. Somewhat like Connections they pull together a whole lot of information from many areas, but they are all (or the ones I have seen) dealing with events from 1900 till present and mainly recent past, not long past, and are more about propaganda and politics in history and less about science in history.

Cooking Your Life was different and not a fit in any exact category. Not sure if I have the title exact. It features a Buddhist monk/chef. I think younger kids could possibly appreciate it.

We saw one of service dog training that was very good.

Take Back Your Power doesn't fit any exact category and was one my logic age son thought so important he insisted I post about it after we saw it. He feels it is a subject that other his age should know about for the good of the world. It is a good fit with the Adam Curtis and Connections films, but easier to understand IMO than Adam Curtis films or Connections films. At age 11 my ds can understand Connections and Take Back Your Power, but the Adam Curtis films are still a bit of a reach.

We saw a wonderful documentary film about Spirit Bear, but I cannot recall the title now.

South of the Border is excellent, though maybe not so quirky as you seek, and again a Logic stage or older film.

Art Made the World

The Ascent of Money. also logic stage, IMO.

Other films besides the Story of 1 by Terry ______ -- such as histories of the middle ages are very quirky in terms of the way they are done, though all of those including the  Story of 1 to me fit in with standard academic subjects (history, math).

Maybe Paper Clips.

Incredible Human Journey if it is the one with a female anthropologist--I may have title confused with another.

For younger kids, the documentary parts that go with the Young Indiana Jones have a lot that we found good, for example, an introduction to opera better than anything in our music materials.