Menu

Aplogia science is killing me... science is killing me.

I need ideas.

I am getting a little put out by Apologia. Although we believe in God and the Bible we are not "thumpers". I don't beat my kids over the head with the Bible and we don't go to church. We don't put God in every single itty bitty thing we do on a daily basis.

We are using Apologia right now because that is one I have found that explains things well however the "thumping" is just ridiculous. Every. Single. Page. Has something about how God is the designer and yadda. Yes, I KNOW already. Can we move on? Does it need to be mentioned on every page?  Even my daughter mentions it almost every time she reads the text.

We aren't young earth, we aren't old earth. Honestly? We don't care how old the earth is. It just is relevant to our lives. Not the hill I will die on. I also don't care about evolution. Again it doesn't matter. Another hill not to die on. We are all inclusive, regardless of earth age or evolution God made it all so who cares.

However I don't want a science thumps "anti-God" either.

Is that to much to ask?

Anyone have any suggestions for science outside Apologia, BJU, Abeka? I tried Rainbow Science and it didn't explain it thoroughly enough for us.

Help?

I have no suggestions on other curriculums, but I wanted to agree with you. We are using Apologia simply because it's all that is offered at our co-op and I don't feel capable enough to teach it at home. That said, I cannot stand the book for the very same reason you mentioned. I feel like I should give a bible credit. Is a curriculum that presents all views equally too much to ask?

It's rare for science texts to be specifically anti-God. They just take for granted that you get your religion elsewhere.

For high schoolers, you might Google "[the type of science] 101 syllabus" and see what textbooks universities are using for their intro courses, and then shop for a used one.

I don't think I've read things that are anti-God in a secular science book. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I'm just saying that every one I've ever read has just not mentioned religion at all, other than possibly historical events involving religious people.

You might mention which course and grade you're looking for, for more helpful answers.

Thank you for the responses. I wasn't clear, that was my fault. I put "anti-God" in quotes as meaning not that the texts were calling out religions, but not trying to discredit a creation theory. Our family is more creationist but if evolution ended up being totally proven and true it wouldn't matter. We still believe God would have caused it.

Anyway. :)

I am looking at 10th, 11th and 12th grades.

8FillTheHeart... excellent idea. I didn't think to search by subject! I will try.

We switched from Apologia Biology for the same reasons with the exception that learning about the age of the earth and evolution are important to us as a foundation for understanding astronomy, geology and biology. 

We ended up going with Miller Levine Biology and were very happy with it. You can do a search here and find quite a few threads about it.  There are many here that purchased it new in order to get all the bells and whistles but I purchased the text and TM off of amazon for about $30 total, added some labs from The Illustrated Guide to Home Biology and virtual labs and I felt that dd got a good biology foundation...enough so that she's doing Honors Anatomy and Physiology (Hole's) this year with no problems at all. 

A Beka has been a good fit for our science oriented family. We have only done 1st grade through 10th, but I imagine 11th and 12th will be equally as good.

Here are the pluses for us:

1. Rigorous.

2. Emphasizes scientific method.

3. Tough labs.

4. Tough and thorough tests and quizzes.

5. Beautiful photography and illustrations.

6. End of section review questions and applications.

7. End of chapter reviews.

8. Easy to follow curriculum guide in the back of the teacher's manual. It is important to me to have my own copy of the text.

Negatives:

1. Labs are quite expensive as written because lab equipment usually found in only colleges is required. Many people just watch the DVD labs because of this.

You are going to have a very difficult time finding a text that does not ram the 'how stupid these people are to believe in evolution' down your throat, and is still compatible with a literal young-earth creation. I don't think the secular books go out of their way to discredit a creation theory, but they certainly do not give it any credence.

You might look at one called Science Shepherd for biology.

I think you are going to have fewer issues with chemistry and physics textbooks in general.

I put "anti-God" in quotes as meaning not that the texts were calling out religions, but not trying to discredit a creation theory.

Just wanted to mention that there are, in fact, science programs these days that go to great lengths to discredit young earth, just the same as Apologia sometimes does about discrediting old earth, especially in the area of Biology. 

Miller-Levine has an entire website dedicated to the topic, including "Articles on the Failure of Intelligent Design," and a page is specifically to help teachers convince students of evolution -- which to me must clearly mean he wants teachers to discredit parental teaching.  One of his articles for teachers includes this quote, which I think shows there is a "bash on the head" of sorts going on, even if it isn't out loud.

"Finally, I will argue that science educators have a powerful, surprising ally that can be enlisted in

our efforts to normalize the teaching of evolution — 21st century American popular culture.

Evolution's power as an explanatory narrative of our planet's human and biological past has

influenced movies, television shows, books, even games and toys. By using these media as

classroom tools, one can fire the imagination of our students and simultaneously defuse the issue

of evolution as a "controversial" theory."

http://www.millerandlevine.com/km/evol/

millerandlevine.com/evolution/index.html

Howard Hughes Institute has conferences every year for science-minded high schoolers and several times the whole theme has been to enthuse teens about evolution, including young earth teens they have specifically invited into the audience. 

I would also say that almost every Teaching Company science course has spent about 30 seconds making clear that young earth was wrong and not worth discussing further - not permeating the entire course but not left out, either, sort-of implying young earth is so wrong that there is no scientific discussion possible. 

I don't have much experience with other secular high school textbooks, but I do feel the word "evolution" has crept further and further into textbooks I've looked through, even where it isn't necessary, so it feels to have a kind of promotion to it.

I just felt this conversation was missing that info.

Julie

Here are some of those past threads 8 was referring to:

Homeschool High School Biology -- Dicentra's big list of Biology programs

Homeschool High School Chemistry -- Dicentra's big list of linked past threads, resources, etc, with lots of discussion by others

Can we discuss Physics? -- when to do it, what kind to do, etc.

I need a Physics class for my son! -- (who has only had Algebra, not Calculus)

Physics for Poets: My Attempt at a Living Books Approach to Physics -- lewelma's outline of goals and resources for a DIY physics

Physics: Knight vs. Gioncoli -- comparison of these 2 texts, plus discussion on several other options

Lesson Plan for College Physics by Knight

If you used Gioncoli Physics...

Hewitt's Conceptual Physics resources -- Dicentra's compiled list of resources to go with this program

How do I build an Astronomy course?

Astronomy books, DVDs, courses?

Astronomy? -- request for course/text suggestions

Need Marine Biology direction for 11th grader

Text book for Marine Biology?

Marine Biology resource -- (poster recommends NOAA's Ocean Exploration, and further in the thread, additional resourses)

Secular Marine Biology

Apologia Marine Biology

Online Forensics class?

Sharing Forensics resource -- original poster shares about Forensics Illustrated by Sapp; other posters also share additional resources

Has anyone used this Forensics course? -- asking about Forensics Illustrated by Sapp; other posters list additional resources

Forensics -- question re: a gr. 6-12 co-op class; post #6 lists some high school level resources

Anyone use Winter Promise's Human Body and Forensics -- for grades 7-12

Shepherd Science Biology.  Look at the FAQ on the website. My son felt this author let the science speak for itself with regard to a creator.  There are a few chapters specifically devoted to origins, and the author does believe in creation.   My son felt those chapters were well done and respectful.   I felt the text was more vigorous than Apologia and it includes human anatomy.  So after 2 kids in Apologia my 3rd did SS and liked it.   Regarding Apologia, I think the Chemistry book is a little less so than the Biology and the physics book I think is even less so with regard to constant drawing attention to origins.  We are back to Apologia for Chemistry.  

Anti-God and anti-young-earth are not the same thing, and there are many people who are anti-young-earth who are devoutly religious.

When I see anti-God I think of one of Dawkins' screeds, which may have a fair amount of good information in them, but are so polemic I cannot read them.

Please, let's not contribute to the conflating of the two.

We use the Apologia Chemistry book, and haven't found the issue to be much of a problem.  We are planning on using the Advanced Chem too, and in looking through it has very little Biblical referencing.  I refuse to use the Biology one for the "thumping" and have Science Shepherd for that.  Having only looked through Physics peripherally, I can't comment there.  I know the middle school Apologia series is significantly filled with Biblical ideology and we couldn't handle it.

We use the Apologia Chemistry book, and haven't found the issue to be much of a problem.  We are planning on using the Advanced Chem too, and in looking through it has very little Biblical referencing.  I refuse to use the Biology one for the "thumping" and have Science Shepherd for that.  Having only looked through Physics peripherally, I can't comment there.  I know the middle school Apologia series is significantly filled with Biblical ideology and we couldn't handle it.

We are using Apologia for chemistry as well.  There are one or two short discussions early on in the book but if you find them objectionable they are easy to skip and move forward with no loss.  I find the book is clearly written, well explained and easy to use at home.  I am considering their physics text as well for the future (I have one student that might suit and another who might be better suited to Knight).  For earth science we use Tarbuck (a general text for early college probably) and I am considering either Campbell or Miller for biology. 

We used Miller Levine for Biology because I just can't take the YE stuff in Christian Biology texts. We are Christian, but care nothing about the age of the earth.

Ds did use Apologia for Chemistry. Apologia still has a lot of references to God in Chemistry, but nothing like the thumping of Biology, so if you like the writing and clarity, it might still be an option.

Searching each subject and following Lori's links will get you lots of good options.

We follow Kolbe Academy's suggestions for high school science. Kolbe is Catholic and would not recommend anything that's anti-God. However it's not young earth by far. (The Pope has recognised evolution as being fact)

http://kolbe.org/academics/curriculum-grade-level/high-school/science-curriculum/

You'll notice that Kolbe does include Church teaching in Biology, but they're add-ons to the main text which is secular. You can use that to see where you might need to step in and discuss.