Menu

X-post: Text book for marine biology?

Hobbes has read a lot of picture books/seen documentaries about marine biology, but wants something meatier: definitely middle school, rather than elementary; perhaps closer to high school. Do you have any ideas?

This would be for him to read, rather than for us to study, although I'm happy to help out if he likes. He studies biology at school, but wants something more specific.

Laura

Sorry. For some reason, the link I'm trying to post isn't working. If you go to Rainbow Resource and search for marine biology, you will find a text by that name with support items. It's listed as grade nine and up, but this I know it is being used in a coop class nearby for 6-8th graders. I will be doing it next year with my 13 yo.

I used the book from Rainbow last year for my youngest, he was sixth grade then. I found it a bit thin, but the experiment/activities were interesting. I filled it out with resources I had. One thing that I thought was really great for this age is http://www.sonlight.com/3S11R.html It probably has Christian content, but it goes category by category of all animals very detailed. They use it in 3rd or 4th grade but it is more appropriate for middle school.

I used the book from Rainbow last year for my youngest, he was sixth grade then. I found it a bit thin, but the experiment/activities were interesting. I filled it out with resources I had. One thing that I thought was really great for this age is http://www.sonlight.com/3S11R.html It probably has Christian content, but it goes category by category of all animals very detailed. They use it in 3rd or 4th grade but it is more appropriate for middle school.

Thanks, that helps - he's a bright child, so 'thin' might not work for him - he's in 7th grade in US terms.

I had a look at the SL book, but he's really looking for Marine Biology in particular, as he's already studying general biology at school.

Laura

If he has a particular area of interest, you might consider locating a good reference book on that subject and utilizing the table of contents to develop a more indepth program. For example, Dr. John Reynolds has written a number of excellent reference books about marine mammals. They are college level books. If that was an area of interest, you could take the table of contents and follow those breakdowns. You could then supplement this material with the "thinner" or lighter materials from your local library or online to give a very complete study of a particular species or subject.

Don't be leary of college or adult level texts. There is no law that you have to use them word-for-word. I often rely on them for topic organization and subject headings. If the student enjoys the pictures and other illustrations, or may even be tempted to read a passage here or there, then that is an added benefit.

I used to work as a marine biologist. Is there a particular area of interest that attracts Hobbes?

Thanks, that helps - he's a bright child, so 'thin' might not work for him - he's in 7th grade in US terms.

I had a look at the SL book, but he's really looking for Marine Biology in particular, as he's already studying general biology at school.

Laura

The detailing of all the types of invertebrates is invaluable for marine biology because there are so many in the sea. I encourage you to consider it. You can skip land dwellers and just read the relevant sections. I have yet to see any other book that covers taxonomy in such simple straight forward way.