Menu

I just ordered a set of College Physics books. (1st edition texts and 2nd edition workbooks, per Regentrude's suggestions.)

I have been using the course outline for Honors Physics at UCCP's Open Course site. It already considers using one of three textbooks. When I get my copies of Knight/Jones, I'm planning of doing a chapter matchup and going from there.

I'm hopeful that this will work because the UCCP course is arranged topically and not just by reading assignment.

• 2 weeks later...

BTW, I did order the book Five Easy Lessons, by Knight. I'm still in the first section, which details what doesn't work in teaching physics and the misconceptions students bring to physics. I'm hoping it will help me with outlining what we need to cover in the Knight Jones books.

I still need to lay out the UCCP schedule with the Knight Jones book and see if I can use them together. If not, I may end up dropping the UCCP or at least using it as the secondary resource. Still working through this.

Maybe there's a market for Regentrude to write a syllabus/lab/test book the way others have published outlines for teaching writing.

If you send me a pm with your email address, I'll be happy to send you the schedule of reading and homework assignments I am using for my college classes based on Knight.

And since Sebastian mentioned tests: I have written quite a few and would share. It would be nice if we had a place to upload documents, the pm/email route is a bit cumbersome.

ETA: see post below with links to google docs.

Edited by regentrude

If you send me a pm with your email address, I'll be happy to send you the schedule of reading and homework assignments I am using for my college classes based on Knight.

And since Sebastian mentioned tests: I have written quite a few and would share. It would be nice if we had a place to upload documents, the pm/email route is a bit cumbersome.

Could I please have access to these too? I don't have any ideas about uploading the documents though.

Thanks!

Karen

I tried playing around with google docs. These links should work:

First semester (mechanics):

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B15QlB7oEIoYa3dqQzZXRTRrbFU

Second semester (electricity and magnetism)

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B15QlB7oEIoYQzBQc0Fvc3pmYWs

In my course I do not have time to cover Modern Physics (ch. 26-30).

You can easily fit these in if you school for longer than just two 15 week semesters.

I will have time later in July to upload some test files as well.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

You can easily fit these in if you school for longer than just two 15 week semesters.

I really appreciate it!

Karen

Melissa, thank you for asking and regentrude, thank you for sharing. I had used about a third of the Hewitt book to beef up the physics portion of Rainbow Science at the beginning of seventh grade. I was looking for another plan for ninth grade. This makes life much easier.

My eldest son's comment is, "Well Trained Mind for the win."

Thank you so much. If nothing else, you've probably saved my kids from having to attempt solving all of the end of chapter problems.

:lol:You get those WTM comments from your kids too, do you?

My kids have gone from mocking me and my "virtual friends" to "Do you think you can ask xxx about my paper?" Apparently xxx's advice is are far superior to mine.

Then of course there is telling your kids that you are going to actually meet one of those "virtual friends." You know, you are going to do the thing you have warned them about numerous times: meeting an absolute stranger off the Internet.

My youngest still clamors to road trip north at intervals to see his favorite TWTM boardie and her family.:D

• 1 month later...

If you are after the instructor resources for this book, they are available from Pearson; but I'd recommend starting early in ordering them. It's taking me a while to work through the various calls to customer service and email requests. I thought I had everything set up with an Oasis account, but only the student materials and not the instructor materials showed up in my cart.

Now I'm waiting to get another form, so I can attest to being a homeschooler and finally get my order processed. I don't get the feeling that anyone is trying to be obstructionist. It just seems like each person is trying to solve their little piece of the puzzle, without realizing that there are several more steps required.

If this doesn't work in the next week, I may have to throw in the towel and go with something else. I don't mind tackling physics, but I do mind doing it without a solutions manual.

If you are after the instructor resources for this book, they are available from Pearson; but I'd recommend starting early in ordering them. It's taking me a while to work through the various calls to customer service and email requests. I thought I had everything set up with an Oasis account, but only the student materials and not the instructor materials showed up in my cart.

Now I'm waiting to get another form, so I can attest to being a homeschooler and finally get my order processed. I don't get the feeling that anyone is trying to be obstructionist. It just seems like each person is trying to solve their little piece of the puzzle, without realizing that there are several more steps required.

If this doesn't work in the next week, I may have to throw in the towel and go with something else. I don't mind tackling physics, but I do mind doing it without a solutions manual.

Almost 2 weeks later and I've had the same thing re-entered twice more. At least this time I got a new ticket number and an estimated timeline. But really? I've been working this issue since the end of June.

This is more frustrating than I think it needs to be.

The saga continues. It looks like the reason Tuesday's customer service rep couldn't find find Thursday's info was because Thursday's rep didn't spell my name correctly. Because I now have an email with the order status (backordered, which I knew was the case for the instructor guide), but under the wrong name.

I'm not sure if this means that someone decided the affidavit I'd submitted via their electronic form sufficed or if there will still be another homeschool form to fill out and return.

(This is probably more than most people care about, but I recall that Pearson had been a thread topic for some other subject last year. I thought sharing the process might provide help for someone else.)

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)

(This is probably more than most people care about, but I recall that Pearson had been a thread topic for some other subject last year. I thought sharing the process might provide help for someone else.)

Keep sharing! I'm sure your experiences will help more than one person :001_smile:

I'm not sure if this means that someone decided the affidavit I'd submitted via their electronic form sufficed or if there will still be another homeschool form to fill out and return.

I would expect that it means the form worked. I never spoke to a anyone at Pearson, but received an email linking the electronic form then the order went through. The less you speak to them and the more you work with them online the better off you are. Everyone who calls (see the M/L Biology thread) seems to have trouble. Those that only email and use their online tools have no problems.

I would expect that it means the form worked. I never spoke to a anyone at Pearson, but received an email linking the electronic form then the order went through. The less you speak to them and the more you work with them online the better off you are. Everyone who calls (see the M/L Biology thread) seems to have trouble. Those that only email and use their online tools have no problems.

The plot thickens. I had one order entered yesterday using a mispelled name (but correct email). I had a second request using a different spelling and a different order number that was input today.

However, when I called (again) I was told (among other things) that the account number I have with Oasis is not the account number that is being used to order the material. Evidently they have a dummy number that they use for "one time customers" to order college materials.

I will also say that this morning was the one customer service rep who was surly and impatient on the phone.

I realize that they don't make anything like the same profit for homeschoolers that they get off of putting a book on a college class list or selling it to a school district. But this is one of the worst systems I've ever encountered.

Makes me think that when time comes around for the next course, I'll think twice about using Pearson, just because I know I'll have to invest weeks into getting the order right.

On the other hand, we should have a rockin' year for physics.

• 4 weeks later...

So I now have in hand both the Knight Jones College physics textbook and student workbooks and the instructor resource dvd.

One reason that this seemed to be tricky was that because these are AP level books they are produced by the college textbook side of Pearson, even though they are listed within the K-12 school education website. So when I contacted customer service for the college side (following the initial links from the textbook) they said they couldn't do anything to approve sales for homeschoolers. When I called the K12 customer service number, they were occasionally confused that I was trying to order college books through them.

I ended up having to fill out two different homeschool forms. One was an online form for Oasis. The other was a Pearson Homeschool Affidavit that was emailed to me. I had to sign it and agree not to sell or pass on instructor material.

I still have not managed to order directly through Oasis for anything, because the button allowing credit card purchasing (instead of a purchase order) is not yet activated for me. In any event, I couldn't order the instructor material through Oasis. (It's possible that both of these issues are fixable.)

The good news is that my neighbor, who is also teaching physics this year (I'm a bad influence), was able to get her books ordered in much better time than I did. So maybe they are developing a smoother process at Pearson.

Skimming through the Instructor Resource disk, it does seem to have answers to the chapter problems (the actual worked problems, not the comprehension questions). Answers are a figure showing what the solution should be. The solutions don't show steps or give explanations.

There are power point presentations for each lecture.

The disk also has links to instructor downloads. That is the quest for the coming week. But I do feel like we're in a place where we can add in physics for the year. This will be quite the grand adventure.

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)

So I now have in hand both the Knight Jones College physics textbook and student workbooks and the instructor resource dvd.

One reason that this seemed to be tricky was that because these are AP level books they are produced by the college textbook side of Pearson, even though they are listed within the K-12 school education website. So when I contacted customer service for the college side (following the initial links from the textbook) they said they couldn't do anything to approve sales for homeschoolers. When I called the K12 customer service number, they were occasionally confused that I was trying to order college books through them.

I ended up having to fill out two different homeschool forms. One was an online form for Oasis. The other was a Pearson Homeschool Affidavit that was emailed to me. I had to sign it and agree not to sell or pass on instructor material.

I still have not managed to order directly through Oasis for anything, because the button allowing credit card purchasing (instead of a purchase order) is not yet activated for me. In any event, I couldn't order the instructor material through Oasis. (It's possible that both of these issues are fixable.)

The good news is that my neighbor, who is also teaching physics this year (I'm a bad influence), was able to get her books ordered in much better time than I did. So maybe they are developing a smoother process at Pearson.

Skimming through the Instructor Resource disk, it does seem to have answers to the chapter problems (the actual worked problems, not the comprehension questions). Answers are a figure showing what the solution should be. The solutions don't show steps or give explanations.

There are power point presentations for each lecture.

The disk also has links to instructor downloads. That is the quest for the coming week. But I do feel like we're in a place where we can add in physics for the year. This will be quite the grand adventure.

Please do update as you get a chance, Sebastian. We just started this text last week and I'm feeling completely ill-equipped to proceed as I'd planned. We have the workbooks (I didn't realize they didn't come w/ answers so they do us no good at this point).

I am looking at the teacher resources CD-Rom but it's $$$ and I'm wondering if it's worth it.

Update on the instructor downloads.

I followed the link in the instructor DVD, which took me to a log in page. There I found a link to request access. I had to provide info on what material I was requesting. This eventually resulted in my getting an email asking for info documenting that I'd purchased books through Pearson (document or invoice or order number, address shipped to, date ordered and ISBN. (I did have to submit a request for access twice. I'm not sure if they were slow or if I did something funny on my end. When I submitted the form, it took me back to the request page, so it was hard to tell if the request had gon in properly.)

Incidentally, this is the same process that I'd gone through back at the beginning of the summer, before purchasing the books. The email I got back at that point indicated that the ticket for requesting access would remain open for 30 days.

If I were ordering again, I would probably go right to Customer Service and order my material and then turn around immediately and request the access to the instructor material (you can get to the same access request screen by following the links on the Pearson College website that list the instructor materials). There really isn't a reason to wait to have the books in hand before requesting access, since it can take several working days to get the email asking for more info.

I may still try to follow up on getting my Oasis account set to allow me to purchase via a credit card instead of a purchase order. On the other hand, it doesn't seem like I can buy instructor materials without going through customer service, so it might not be worth the effort.

ETA: It does amuse me that I'm now getting popup and sidebar ads for Pearson Homeschool materials. Mostly because I've looked at what is on offer and it seems so paltry, especially when I know they publish tons of useful texts.

Thanks for the update, Sebastian.

I am fairly confused. I saw the teacher's CD-Rom available on Amazon but you are talking about accessing other materials via links on the CD-Rom, is that correct? Or do you have to go through Pearson to activate the disc? (Can you tell how much I know about technology...:tongue_smilie:)

Can you use the disc as a stand-alone resource or do need to go through Pearson to use the disc? Do you feel like the disc alone, without going through Pearson or Oasis or whatever to access additional materials, was worth the price?

I'm wondering if we wouldn't get more out of the Mastering Physics (student access) which I think you get for free since you purchased your text directly from Pearson. When I finally got someone on the phone that could talk to me about Mastering I got a little lecture about how if I had gone through Pearson it would be free. I could not get a straight answer about what I would need to do so that my son could use the Mastering stuff since I didn't buy the text from Pearson. I was told I needed teacher access but he didn't know if that would cost extra or not, which seems like something a customer service rep would know. I was told I could buy a student access code through Pearson but I have no idea how to get teacher access. Bleh.

I am fairly confused. I saw the teacher's CD-Rom available on Amazon but you are talking about accessing other materials via links on the CD-Rom, is that correct? Or do you have to go through Pearson to activate the disc? (Can you tell how much I know about technology...:tongue_smilie:)

Can you use the disc as a stand-alone resource or do need to go through Pearson to use the disc? Do you feel like the disc alone, without going through Pearson or Oasis or whatever to access additional materials, was worth the price?

I'm wondering if we wouldn't get more out of the Mastering Physics (student access) which I think you get for free since you purchased your text directly from Pearson. When I finally got someone on the phone that could talk to me about Mastering I got a little lecture about how if I had gone through Pearson it would be free. I could not get a straight answer about what I would need to do so that my son could use the Mastering stuff since I didn't buy the text from Pearson. I was told I needed teacher access but he didn't know if that would cost extra or not, which seems like something a customer service rep would know. I was told I could buy a student access code through Pearson but I have no idea how to get teacher access. Bleh.

What I bought from Pearson was the student text (with 6 years of Mastering Physics), the student workbooks, and the Instructor Resource DVD.

The DVD is a disk with a bunch of different instructor files. It's not actually playable as a dvd. It has powerpoint lectures for each chapter and solutions for the problems in the student text (not for the comprehension questions, only for the end of chapter problems to solve).

There are downloadable instructor resources, including the workbook solutions. You can see what is available in the listing for the book on the site for college texts. (Look at the Resources tab.)

I was able to purchase the instructor resource dvd directly from Pearson K12 Customer Service after submitting a homeschool affidavit. Then I followed the links to download the solutions. This took me to the instructor registration site and thence to the request for access. I had to submit another homeschool affidavit to this set of support personnel. (It doesn't seem like they are actually creating an account with much of a record of what I've submitted, but I'm trying to remain flexible.)

I think that you would be able to purchase just the instructor resource dvd and also get access to the downloadable solutions, without purchasing a student text through Pearson. But since that's not what exactly what I did, I'm not 100% sure.

Not sure if this helps or not.

What I bought from Pearson was the student text (with 6 years of Mastering Physics), the student workbooks, and the Instructor Resource DVD.

The DVD is a disk with a bunch of different instructor files. It's not actually playable as a dvd. It has powerpoint lectures for each chapter and solutions for the problems in the student text (not for the comprehension questions, only for the end of chapter problems to solve).

There are downloadable instructor resources, including the workbook solutions. You can see what is available in the listing for the book on the site for college texts. (Look at the Resources tab.)

I was able to purchase the instructor resource dvd directly from Pearson K12 Customer Service after submitting a homeschool affidavit. Then I followed the links to download the solutions. This took me to the instructor registration site and thence to the request for access. I had to submit another homeschool affidavit to this set of support personnel. (It doesn't seem like they are actually creating an account with much of a record of what I've submitted, but I'm trying to remain flexible.)

I think that you would be able to purchase just the instructor resource dvd and also get access to the downloadable solutions, without purchasing a student text through Pearson. But since that's not what exactly what I did, I'm not 100% sure.

Not sure if this helps or not.

Thank you again for taking the time to type all of that out. It does help, and it's also helpful to know that I'm not the only one trying to navigate these waters. Ha ha.

You got 6 years of Mastering Access? Holy cow. I didn't know you could even do that!

Thank you again for taking the time to type all of that out. It does help, and it's also helpful to know that I'm not the only one trying to navigate these waters. Ha ha.

You got 6 years of Mastering Access? Holy cow. I didn't know you could even do that!

I'm pretty sure what I bought was the 6 years of access; I know I paid a little more for it. In one long ago discussion with customer service, they explained that it was six 12 month seats for Mastering Physics. I could either have six students or use a couple students for more than one year. I'm hoping to be able to run my youngest through in a few years before it expires.

I just got the codes for setting that up yesterday, but I haven't done anything with it yet.

I forget exactly where I went to set up the Mastering Physics. I think I followed the link from the instructor resources page at the higher ed site again. It took me to the same request page as the one for asking for instructor downloads. This time, since I already had a login, it went much faster. I had codes for setting up Mastering Physics within about one day.

It doesn't look like you assign much from the workbook. I'm only seeing a few problems first semester.

Is this something you encourage them to use for their own improvement?

It doesn't look like you assign much from the workbook. I'm only seeing a few problems first semester.

Is this something you encourage them to use for their own improvement?

I do not assign the workbook problems for homework, but I do use the workbook regularly in class. For at least 30 minutes per week, instead of me lecturing, I have the students get into groups or pairs and do exercises from the workbook which we discuss as a class afterwards.

The WB problems are mainly conceptual, and it is very beneficial to discuss them in order to clear up misconceptions and cement the concepts. I find this very valuable in addition to working problems (which is what the homework focuses on).

• 2 weeks later...
As promised, I have uploaded tests and their solutions for two semesters of physics.

I am trying to share a folder, so let's see if this will work:

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B15QlB7oEIoYcEdwT0lOMU1vS3c/edit

Regentrude,

On the syllabus, what do CQ and MC refer to. I'm assuming that WB is the Student Workbook.

Regentrude,

On the syllabus, what do CQ and MC refer to. I'm assuming that WB is the Student Workbook.

QC= Conceptual Questions

MC= Multiple Choice

Both are found at the end of teh chapter, before the actual problems. Anything with "P" or without a letter refers to worked problems from the end of the chapter.

It looks like the Workbook Solutions and the Solutions to end of chapter items in the textbook are available several different ways.

There is a free download available to instructors (including homeschoolers). You will have to provide them with proof that you purchased the text from Pearson (order number, date and ISBN if I remember correctly). You may also need to submit the homeschool affidavit (I now just have this saved to my hard drive so I can submit it anytime I'm asked.)

The Instructor DVD has power point lectures and links to the same solution downloads (so if you bought the texts elsewhere, you could still get the solution sets).

Mastering Physics' Instructor login also seems to have the same solution resources. So you might try asking again about homeschoolers and getting Instructor and Student access to Mastering Physics.

I set up part of Mastering Physics today. It looks like it has lots of good homework resources. I'm not sure that getting student access alone would do anything. It seems like a student has to have both an account and then a course code to get what the instructor has set up.

I am getting better about navigating the Pearson system. One of my friends ordered Human Geography material at the same time as Physics and has been setting up homework and labs for that course. She sounds pretty pleased with the features.

• 1 month later...

I'm still fumbling around making this really work for us. We hit something of a perfect storm of increased swim practice, demanding Latin and higher level academics all around.

But what I have done is gone into the Mastering Physics page and assigned several of the lessons from Regentrude's schedule. Then I added into those lessons the various tutorials available in Mastering Physics (these sort of walk the student through what they read in the book).

Now I just need to move them through their work in a way that gets things done. :glare:

I'm still fumbling around making this really work for us. We hit something of a perfect storm of increased swim practice, demanding Latin and higher level academics all around.

But what I have done is gone into the Mastering Physics page and assigned several of the lessons from Regentrude's schedule. Then I added into those lessons the various tutorials available in Mastering Physics (these sort of walk the student through what they read in the book).

Now I just need to move them through their work in a way that gets things done. :glare:

So I hate to be asking this question, but it is where we are.

We have been late getting started with physics. At the moment, we will either have to continue through the summer or pare down what we are covering. I would rather not drop down to a conceptual level. They seem to be handling the math dependent parts; it just takes them quite a while to complete a lesson. Unfortunately that is quite a while in the midst of a lot of other demanding coursework and long hours of sports practice.

Is there anything that is somewhat optional? I have already taken out the lesson on the nervous system (as related more to college level life science majors than a high schooler getting his feet wet). I'm eyeing optics (but I also remember liking that as a high schooler. So maybe I'll just have to do this particular section over the summer as a separate unit).

I'm not planning on SAT 2 tests this year or AP exams until a later year.

Any thoughts? My kids are smart, but overwhelmed with their overall workload.

Is there anything that is somewhat optional?

Sebastian,

if you look at the schedules I have provided, you see that there are certain chapters I do not cover in my college physics course. I leave out all thermodynamics, because they will cover this in chemistry, and Modern Physics - because we don't have enough time. I also cut very short chapter 8 and basically only cover springs and the idea of static equilibrium.

You can shorten or even eliminate wave optics; I would not cut ray optics because that is easy and has many applications in daily life.

You can always do fewer practice problems - they are the time consuming part.

If you want better suggestions, it would be helpful for me to know how you are covering the material currently, for example, how time consuming the Mastering Physics part is - that would be the first thing *I* would cut out in favor of just working with the text which does have good worked examples that are very close to the assigned problems. Also, it would be good to know how far you are currently.

Right now we are at the beginning of chapter 2. So really at the beginning of the course.

What I've been asking them to do is to read the chapter and take notes on it. (In particular I want them to take note of the Tactics Boxes and work the related sample problems.) Then I have assigned the problems from your syllabus in Mastering Physics, along with the tutorials for that section that are in Mastering Physics. I'm also asking them to do the workbook practice as they go through each section (ie, read 2.1; do 2.1 in the workbook; read 2.2, do 2.2 in the workbook). Now that I write this, it seems that I'm asking them to demonstrate understanding of the material 2-3 different times. At some point, perhaps this becomes make work.

The biggest problem at the moment is that almost everything seems to have take a back seat to Latin and our coop literature course. (Which isn't really where I want the emphasis of our school to be, but as ever the outside course with the hard and fast deadlines looms weightier than anything that seems flexible.) Of course that isn't the fault of your syllabus, but of my execution. Because I know that our last summer wasn't very effective school time, I was trying to be done with most stuff before we had summer activities spool up. But it may be that what I need to do is plan on doing the optics in August when other subjects have dwindled. (Do we still have a head banging smilie?)