Menu

Have any of you ever heard of doing this re: college negotiations?

8filltheheart

My brother called me a couple of days ago and told me that I need to call one of the universities that ds is interested in attending and request in-state tuition even though we are most definitely out-of-state and have been for yrs.   Dh and I are both alumni of this university and we are the only ones in both of our families that live OOS.   My nephew is a sr in math with a 4.0 at the university right now.  (My sister called and told me the same thing today and said that our niece (different brother) was successful in doing that at an OOS university where 2 of her children were attending.

I have never heard of being able to negotiate in-state tuition before.   Is it even a possibility?   I am not sure who I would even call.   In-state tuition would make this school a viable option.   OOS, it simply isn't.  

I figured you all would know.  :)

Yes, you can negotiate in-state tuition, especially with strong students.  Definitely call - admissions or registrar or scholarship office.  Sometimes schools will offer this to top students as part of a scholarship package - no negotiation needed.  Children of alumni often get special consideration if they have the required qualifications.  At one of our state unis (top 100), about the only students who get in are the children of alumni or tippy top students.

UC Berkeley used to offer legacy applicants the CA in-state admissions preference even if they lived outside of CA (my mom's a Cal alumna). I have no idea if that's still the case. But tuition is based on state of parental residency. The alumni association offers merit scholarships that might bring down the OOP cost to that of a state resident, but those are not technically coming from the university.

University of South Carolina offered DS in state tuition in their acceptance letter.  Plus the letter emphasized that was the minimum merit aid he would receive and strongly hinted that he should expect more.  His stats are significantly above their average.  So . . . yeah, in your shoes I'd try to negotiate.  If your DS won't go there otherwise, then what do you have to lose by trying?

Seems like it is worth calling. As a new, out of state graduate student I was offered in-state tuition in addition to a stipend. Through no clever action of my own.

- out of state tuition is financially difficult for anybody.

- your son will obviously be an asset to their program, they want him and will want to count him as a graduate (meaning they will want him to be able to stay all 4 years.)

-they can offer it for one year and see how he does (I can't imagine an issue, but they might feel better not committing to 4 years up front)

Get the right person in the phone, lay that out politely, and then see if they can do anything for you. "DS is a very strong student, and your program is his top choice, but I'm doing the math and it looks like just freshman year will cost us xxx. Is that correct? Would it be possible for him to pay in-state tuition rather than out-of-state?" Then be sure to leave enough silence on the line for him/her to answer (you may not need that reminder, but I often do).

Good luck!

OP - Thank you for asking this - we are in the same situation where ds's (current) top choice is out of state (though we are not alumni) - the tuition/R/B would be only slightly less expensive than a private university where he has also been accepted. Two in-state public universitities are offering good chunks of merit aid and ds will likely be offered more in music scholarships.

Thanks also for the responses. I tend to need very specific suggestions on how to go about these kinds of things!

There should be someone in the Financial Aid office. Having the physics dept. dean and the CSM undergrad admin willing to support his candidacy should help, but the FinAid office is the one in charge of packages.

But is the FA office responsible for wanting to bring in strong students?   Is someone in that office responsible for making those types of decisions?    The "who" just doesn't seem clear cut to me and I am terrible at cold calling anyway.   I would like to at least start off in the right office.

If you want his strong academics to help get him in with in-state tuition, I would recommend your son emailing or calling the professors/deans he's met with and explaining to them that he'd love to attend there but can't afford the OOS tuition.  He can then mention that he would be able to afford the in-state tuition and is thinking of asking the financial aid office if they would be able to help.  Maybe they can put in a good word for him.  As a parent, I would contact financial aid, but I would not contact people in the physics department.  Just my opinion.

Edited:  I agree with Pawz4me that this should only be done after you've gotten their financial aid offer.

Hmm. I'm not sure whom you should call. Maybe a helpful prof who has met your son?

I did find this online and Georgia Tech participates. Might be worth a look.

http://www.sreb.org/page/1304/academic_common_market.html

I cannot figure out how to work this site. When I select our state, it only brings up institutions in our state. Does that mean bc the major is offered here, there are no OOS institutions? (This has been a very long day.......I am feeling completely inept!)

I cannot figure out how to work this site. When I select our state, it only brings up institutions in our state. Does that mean bc the major is offered here, there are no OOS institutions? (This has been a very long day.......I am feeling completely inept!)

You are right. It only works if your major is not available in-state.

He has applied for a departmental scholarship, but it is a small amt. as far as financial package, our EFC is too high for their really to be one (but that doesn't mean anything real for us. It is way out of our league OOS.)

High EFC doesn't rule out a merit aid award.  Our EFC is such that DS won't quality for any need-based aid, but USC offered him in-state tuition (merit) and strongly hinted there would be more.  How do your DS's stats align with the institution's averages?

High EFC doesn't rule out a merit aid award.  Our EFC is such that DS won't quality for any need-based aid, but USC offered him in-state tuition (merit) and strongly hinted there would be more.  How do your DS's stats align with the institution's averages?

This school doesn't have merit scholarships other than a very limited number that have already been distributed.   He is definitely above their avgs, but they only have a handful of full-ride scholarships (largely influenced by community service projects) and small departmental scholarships.  That is it.   Definitely nothing like UA.

This school doesn't have merit scholarships other than a very limited number that have already been distributed.   He is definitely above their avgs, but they only have a handful of full-ride scholarships (largely influenced by community service projects) and small departmental scholarships.  That is it.   Definitely nothing like UA.

What DS was offered by USC wasn't actually a scholarship, I don't think.  They simply said in their acceptance letter something along the lines of "Your academic record is such that you qualify for in state tuition, a value equivalent to [whatever the amount was] per year.  This will be the minimum that you will receive.  Our final financial package will be made available by late March."

But in any event, if your DS is high stats for the school, then I would think you're in a good position to negotiate.

Yes - DD20 was initially given a WUE (Western University Exchange) award that is for 150% of in state tuition, then had it upgraded to a different scholarship that awarded her instate tuition plus merit aid in the amount of that instate tuition. A complicated way of saying that she was given a full academic ride, but the value of it was equal to the cost for an instate student even though she is OOS. DS18 is in the running for similar scholarships at both of his top two school picks, so I think it is not that uncommon for good students.

My daughter has a friend who did this.  She was a recruited walk-on in her sport, an underrepresented minority and a good but not outstanding student, and in-state tuition was the bulk of what she was offered.  Her mom says it helped that she is from a state from which this school does not have a lot of students--think single digits (absolute numbers, not percentages).  She had the athletic department behind her, but they were pretty sure from the get-go that the least they could get her would be in-state status.