How Do You Pronounce Niche?

Jean in Newcastle

290 members have voted

1. 1. How do you pronounce niche?

• nich
    • neesh
    • nish
    • ubiquitous other

They pronounced it that way because it's the name of the town and always has been since its founding. The woman who suggested the name knew the correct pronunciation but deliberately Americanized it so the bue- would match the first syllable in beautiful.

Is that it??  I pronounce it that way now....but it's still hard since the streets [and film company] I grew up with uses the Spanish pronunciation.  And here in Virginia it's back to the Spanish "Buena" instead of "Buuna".

Of course there's also the difference between Houston, TX and Houston Street in NYC.  Lesson being - ALWAYS let the natives tell you how to pronounce their place names!!

Definitely neesh. Do the nitch people also say kitch or keech for quiche? Genuinely curious.

I've always said keesh. That's the only way I've ever heard it.

Oh, and while we're at it, we could discuss "clique."

"click" or "cleek"?

I vary with that one depending on who I'm around when I say it. Cleek would be correct but it's pretty uncommon to hear it pronounced that way anymore.

I don't agree with any of you! :) I say NEECH and always have, and that is what people around me have always said, as far as I've ever noticed.... just in the past couple of years I have started to hear people say Neesh and it seems Frenchified and artificial to me. BTW I am from New England if that makes a difference, but I live on the West Coast now.

• 9 years later...