Menu

The Trumpet of the Swan

Juliegmom

Tonight we will read our last chapter of The Trumpet of the Swan. My Dd and I are enjoying this book immensely. I don't recall reading it as a child and just happened to come across it at the library. I'm so glad I did! Now to find the next treasure for our next read aloud... :-)

Trumpet of the Swan... Ahh, one of THE most beloved books by our entire family. We love the father swan: "I glide, swan-like..." And... "He said it was... superficial!"  :D We, too discovered it on the homeschooling journey, as it was not one either DH or I had seen as children...

A few others that rank right up there on the all-time favorite read-alouds:

- By the Great Horn Spoon (Fleischman)

- Half Magic -- and sequels (Eager)

- Ben and Me (Lawson)

- The Great Wheel (Lawson)

- The Ordinary Princess (Kaye)

- A Little Princess (Burnett)

- Letters from Father Christmas (Tolkien) -- OOP; either this edition, or this edition

- Christmas Every Day (Howells) -- free Gutenberg text to read online

- The Hobbit (Tolkien)

Happy, happy reading! :)

Morgan adored that book, too - it was our first homeschooling read aloud this  year!  

Might I suggest, in the same vein, as a followup: The Cricket in Times Square.  She adored that book, and then read everything else George Selden wrote, on her own! I think those books are what catapulted her from easy chapter books into reading "real" books this year.

We just finished that as a read-aloud too :laugh:

We also enjoyed it. I had not read it before and was a bit skeptical, but I'm glad we went ahead and read it anyway because it was great. Our (my daughter's) favorite part was when the old cob flew through the music store window and the chaos that followed. Priceless :lol:

We have enjoyed many laughs over the exaggerations of the father swan! Thank you all for the book suggestions. I'm considering A Cricket in Times Square. Dare I say I don't recall reading this book either. :-) We will soon be returning to the mission field and I've been thoroughly enjoying the, often taken for granted, public library.

We just finished that as a read-aloud too :laugh:

We also enjoyed it. I had not read it before and was a bit skeptical, but I'm glad we went ahead and read it anyway because it was great. Our (my daughter's) favorite part was when the old cob flew through the music store window and the chaos that followed. Priceless :lol:

We read this excerpt in WWE and my dd was so captivated, begging to read more:)

Luckily, I had already added a copy of it to our library and could immediately oblige. We went through several chapters the first day, and finished it very quickly...only to reread it again, lol.

That book was one of my rare disappointments in sharing a book with my child. I loved it so much as a child and read it over and over again. I felt sure my son would feel the same way, and it was really special for me that I was able to share with him the same hard-cover book that I had read myself and had saved since childhood.

And he thought it was just okay. :crying: Maybe I hyped it too much or something.

There have been so many other wonderful times we've shared over books that this one misfire is not a big deal at all. But I'm so glad to hear of others who love it as much as I do.

I recently found a book called Wheel on the School by Meindert DeJong, which I have never seen mentioned before in these types of threads.  It is about a school in a little Dutch village that decides to find a way to get the storks to come to their village. It is such a wonderful book with really deep characters and beautiful themes of overcoming weakness, battling prejudice, and working together.  And there is also lots of science--storks, dikes, weather, etc.

We also just finished the book The House of Sixty Fathers by the same author, and it was also wonderful.  It does deal with the tragedies of war, though, so I wouldn't recommend it for sensitive children.  

I recently found a book called Wheel on the School by Meindert DeJong, which I have never seen mentioned before in these types of threads...

I thoroughly enjoyed that book, but DSs were underwhelmed, so I don't tend to put that one on my book suggestion lists, since usually people are looking for titles that are a big hit with children. ;)

...We also just finished the book The House of Sixty Fathers by the same author...

I also enjoyed House of Sixty Fathers. :) Wheel on the School is an older SL recommendation -- 2 other older SL read alouds I enjoyed that remind me of Wheel on the School and are not often recommended that you may enjoy, Tracymirko: The Family Under the Bridge (Carlson), and Red Sails to Capri (Weil). Happy reading! :)

I thoroughly enjoyed that book, but DSs were underwhelmed, so I don't tend to put that one on my book suggestion lists, since usually people are looking for titles that are a big hit with children. ;)

I also enjoyed House of Sixty Fathers. :) Wheel on the School is an older SL recommendation -- 2 other older SL read alouds I enjoyed that remind me of Wheel on the School and are not often recommended that you may enjoy, Tracymirko: The Family Under the Bridge (Carlson), and Red Sails to Capri (Weil). Happy reading! :)

My dd8 loved, loved, loved Wheel on the School.  Maybe it is boy thing.

The Family Under the Bridge is actually in my library bag as our next read-aloud!  I will look for the other.  Thanks!

I've had this book for many, many years.  I've never read it.  I don't think Batgirl ever read it either (I know for a fact Robin never did).  I'll have to add it to our pile of read-alouds for this year.  Junior Batgirls absolute favorite read-aloud so far have been The Doll People trilogy (The Doll People, The Meanest Doll in the World, and The Runaway Dolls).  We both enjoyed them so much.  Now....these are just for pure enjoyment...they don't have any wonderful lesson to learn or anything super thoughtful to ponder....(other than pondering if dolls really are alive).