Menu

Kid jeans that are generous in the waist?

alisoncooks

Do they still make jeans and call them Husky?  What about for little girls?

My 5 yr old is wearing an 8 or a 10.  She probably weights 60 pounds at this point, and is very solid around the mid-section.  She is not what I would call overweight, but it has been impossible to find PANTS for her for the past 2 years.  Most jeans dig into her tummy and are not comfortable (we tend to stick with jogging pants or leggings with dresses/tunics.)  I think I may just have to buy her jeans in a 10 and have them hemmed by my mom.

But just for kicks:  do you have any luck with a brand that fits "solid" kids, right off the shelf?  Or an alternative idea?  

We're getting tired of being limited to leggings b/c I don't allow leggings unless you have a LOOONG tshirt to wear with them -- or dress/tunic.  Personally, I just don't like "short" t-shirts paired with tight pants... though we do sometimes have to do this around the house.  

Gap kids makes "plus" size for girls starting at size 7.  http://www.gap.com/products/girls-plus-size-clothing.jsp

I buy mine at Gap.  Where she'd normally be a 10 in regular jeans (with those being super long), we can pretty much do a size 8+ at Gap and wear it right off the shelf. It will still be an inch or so long, but that reconciles itself after a few washes.

I wonder if buying them in the boy's dept would work.  Maybe she wouldn't go for that, but it's not like anyone would know.  Many places sell them with adjustable wastes (don't know if they do this for girls).  Plus they have cuts like "relaxed fit" that are more generous all over.

We used to do this when she was younger.  We found boy jeans with "skinny leg" and a dark wash -- they looked like girl jeans to me. :p  Not sure about in the sizes we need now, though...

Thanks for all the suggestions!  We'll do some checking around. :)