Menu

Frozen pipes...again

GSOchristie

I fell asleep while laying with my kids last night and didn't turn the faucet to drip.  I am done with this weather.  I have never in my 36 years on earth had frozen pipes, now twice in the past month.  The first time I didn't even know that pipes could freeze if the temperature of your house was 68 degrees (I live in North Carolina :)).  This time, however, I can only blame my negligence, so I hope that they don't burst :(.  I think the frozen pipe is in on the outside wall of my garage because only the kitchen and one outside faucet are affected.  I have my faucet turned on, my oven on, all the cabinets open, and a space heater in my garage.  Any more suggestions?  The faucet is letting a drop of water through about every 30 minutes, if that make a difference.

If you are getting a drip, there is hope that your pipes won't completely freeze and burst.

You are doing the right thing. Just be careful about putting your space heaters too close to the walls! They are fire hazards. Keep the room uncomfortably warm (80+) and hope for the best.

Outside walls are a dangerous place for pipes. You will want to have someone insulate or move them in the spring. It is far less expensive than emergency plumbing repair.

You're in Greensboro?  I'm in High Point and nobody in our neighborhood has had any problems.  But it's a newer development, and I'm pretty sure nobody has pipes in outside garage walls.  I only know of one person in the area who's had a frozen pipe, and that was one of DH's co-workers who lives in an older house and has pipes in his attic.

Yes, in Greensboro.  We live in Reedy Fork, if you know where that is, and I'm pretty sure our houses are not that well constructed :/.  We have people with frozen pipes in showers and kitchens, bathrooms that are over garages and kitchens that are next to garages.  I asked dh why he didn't turn the faucet on, his reply, "I didn't know it was going to be that cold last night." The high was in the 20's yesterday  :huh:.  I am getting a faster drip now, crossing my fingers.

if you can find the spot sometimes a good hairdryer can warm up the pipe. They make heavy duty types you can get at the hardware store as well. The space heater often works well too. It sounds like yours should open up soon since  you are getting a drip. Getting up to drip a faucet is a drag but the best solution.  :grouphug:

I had a frozen pipe this morning as well.  We have one in our bathroom that is connected directly to the outside faucet and I must not have left it dripping enough.  The hair dryer at the frozen pipe under the sink was enough to get it running.  Now the one on the fridge line is frozen.

A couple of things I do to keep water flowing without having to have a faucet drip........ One, set my clothes washer to start at midnight. That makes water flow for an hour. Two, set the dishwasher to start around 2-2:30. That keeps water flowing for two hours. Dh gets up at 5:30 and gets water going via his shower.