Menu

Anyone Do Chicken Agility?

Χά�ων

I show poultry--some people think I'm pretty weird for that--but I'd never seen chicken agility. :laugh:

I do "train" my chickens, kind of. Basically, I cage train them so they aren't stressed when they go to shows and have to sit in the small exhibition cages for a couple days. It also helps to accustom them to being handled and, even better, if you can get them nice and hand-tame so they expect treats every time you come to the cage. That way, they "show" better. A chicken that is alert and excited for a treat--and not afraid when you move toward them and pick them up--is going to show better than a chicken that is desperately trying to get away from the judge.

ETA: the gist I get from the video, though, is not that they are doing chicken agility as a competition or hobby, but that they were doing some kind of training on operant conditioning and happened to use chickens for that purpose. I wonder if anyone is actually doing chicken agility as a "thing"?

Queen, just let your DS show chickens at poultry exhibitions. :laugh:  He can still train them!

I show poultry--some people think I'm pretty weird for that--but I'd never seen chicken agility. :laugh:

I do "train" my chickens, kind of. Basically, I cage train them so they aren't stressed when they go to shows and have to sit in the small exhibition cages for a couple days. It also helps to accustom them to being handled and, even better, if you can get them nice and hand-tame so they expect treats every time you come to the cage. That way, they "show" better. A chicken that is alert and excited for a treat--and not afraid when you move toward them and pick them up--is going to show better than a chicken that is desperately trying to get away from the judge.

ETA: the gist I get from the video, though, is not that they are doing chicken agility as a competition or hobby, but that they were doing some kind of training on operant conditioning and happened to use chickens for that purpose. I wonder if anyone is actually doing chicken agility as a "thing"?

Queen, just let your DS show chickens at poultry exhibitions. :laugh:  He can still train them!

My middle dd does Agility and TTD with dogs.  Chickens are used to practice/learn how to use clickers in operant conditioning, as far as I know, because they forget everything after 3 or so days and then can be re-trained by the next group of learners. LOL

Than being said, she did train one of her chickens to jump on her shoulder on command. It was cute!

hth,

Georgia

Omg. My dh thought I was crazy that I taught my chickens their name, to come when called and to sit when I go to pick them up, but this is amazing!! No longer am _I_ the crazy chicken lady!! I think I will try teaching Gracie this (she's our awesomely awesome buff orpington.

Omg. My dh thought I was crazy that I taught my chickens their name, to come when called and to sit when I go to pick them up, but this is amazing!! No longer am _I_ the crazy chicken lady!! I think I will try teaching Gracie this (she's our awesomely awesome buff orpington.

Instructions for building a course

http://workingwings.com/?id=300