Menu

Laughed and left shaking my head

Miss Marple

Ds just got his itinerary for his scholarship interview session at Baylor for next weekend.  There was a reminder that "parents are not allowed to be in the room during the scholarship interview".  Seriously?  Would any parent *want* to be there?  I know that I would not.  That led me to wonder if there were parents who tried to attend.  My son told me that he knew some students whose parents would try to attend.  I'm not so sure about that...but obviously there have been issues or Baylor would not have added that statement :p

Strange world :)

My mother in law still goes to job interview with her kids 20-28. My husband never allowed it, but she would fight about it. He had to reschedule an interview once so she wouldn't know, or else she would just go. When my husband and I were going to buy our first car she said we couldn't do it that day because she wasn't available. She said there was no way we could get a car on our own, yet by some miracle we managed. When I was pregnant she said she would move in when I was in my third trimester, and stay for the first few months since I didn't know how to be a mother. The list goes on. We live in another state now, entirely because of her. So yes, I'm sure it's happened at the college several times.

My mother in law still goes to job interview with her kids 20-28. My husband never allowed it, but she would fight about it. He had to reschedule an interview once so she wouldn't know, or else she would just go. When my husband and I were going to buy our first car she said we couldn't do it that day because she wasn't available. She said there was no way we could get a car on our own, yet by some miracle we managed. When I was pregnant she said she would move in when I was in my third trimester, and stay for the first few months since I didn't know how to be a mother. The list goes on. We live in another state now, entirely because of her. So yes, I'm sure it's happened at the college several times.

LOL!  That's hilarious...but I'm sure it isn't for you :p  I cannot wrap my head around that kind of behavior.  

I am always amazed at that type of stuff.  However, when we were at orientation with oldest, there was a mom there who insisted on going in with her daughter when she was meeting with her adviser - and wouldn't take a tactful "no" for an answer.  Hubby and I wondered how she would be able to leave her offspring the next day - or maybe she wasn't planning to?

Slache - I can't fathom being in your hubby's family.  Like you, we'd definitely have to move away.

My husband was a ROTC commander at a university. One of his duties was to interview the student to see if there was any reason she/he couldn't enter ROTC. He said some of the students had their parents in the room while he was conducting the interview. Sometimes it felt like he was interviewing the parent about the student because the parents answered all the questions and didn't allow the student to speak. I imagine Baylor wants to avoid such a scenario.

BTW, my dd will also be attending the Baylor Invitation to Excellence next weekend. Good luck to your son!

My husband was a ROTC commander at a university. One of his duties was to interview the student to see if there was any reason she/he couldn't enter ROTC. He said some of the students had their parents in the room while he was conducting the interview. Sometimes it felt like he was interviewing the parent about the student because the parents answered all the questions and didn't allow the student to speak. I imagine Baylor wants to avoid such a scenario.

BTW, my dd will also be attending the Baylor Invitation to Excellence next weekend. Good luck to your son!

Cool!  Maybe we'll see you there :)

I was shocked that both St Olaf and Carleton College asked for the parent to be in the interview. I was not on campus for the Carleton one so that was embarrassing. And I was around at the St Olaf one, but not near the admissions office. Daughter found me and brought me in. I thought it was very odd that they wanted the parents in there. Maybe it is a northern thing?

At dd's (very small) LAC, parents are invited into the interview about 45 minutes into it, after the student and the interviewer have met one on one.  That gives the parents a chance to ask any questions etc.  Ironically dd wasn't interested in doing study abroad (having lived overseas several times) but it was more attractive after her campus interviewer described some of their programs and policies.

Fwiw for most of my Naval Academy interviews parents are invited for the first portion. It's a pretty complicated app with fitness and medical requirements as well as a parallel nomination process. Having parents there lets me answer their questions directly. And it does give me a good barometer of when an app is being pushed by the parents.

And sometimes families have some preconceptions about the Navy or USNA that I can help with.

When I do an interview in the home I often show a short video. I even encourage younger siblings to sit in on that part.

But there is also about an hour that is just one on one. If a parent absolutely refused to leave I wouldn't argue. But it would be a prominent portion of the write up.

At dd's (very small) LAC, parents are invited into the interview about 45 minutes into it, after the student and the interviewer have met one on one.  That gives the parents a chance to ask any questions etc.  Ironically dd wasn't interested in doing study abroad (having lived overseas several times) but it was more attractive after her campus interviewer described some of their programs and policies.

From the itinerary, it looks like there are separate sessions for those type of questions.  The scholarship interview is completely separate from anything like...what Baylor offers, financial aspects of Baylor, housing, etc.

I can definitely understand having a group session to address those types of items.  But I think my son would feel totally uncomfortable with me sitting in the same room while he answered questions like "why are you interested in the field of law", "what makes you a good candidate for this scholarship", etc.

When my daughter and I visited Franklin and Marshall, I recall being invited into the interview room after about that same amount of time.  My daughter visited most other colleges on her own, so I'm uncertain whether I'd have been invited in elsewhere.

Regards,

Kareni

LOL -- my mother was like that and worse.  

I can't imagine going to an interview with one of my DC unless I was invited to do so.

That led me to wonder if there were parents who tried to attend.  My son told me that he knew some students whose parents would try to attend.  

There are parents who want to listen in and get tips for their other children.  Here parents do ask informally around for tips for all kinds of interviews and even if tests were given during interviews. My area is filled with hyper-competitive parents.

We've also been to colleges where we (parents) were invited in to talk with the admissions rep AFTER (at the end of) our son's interview.  Like the others, the goal there is to answer any parent questions.

I see that as 100% different than being there IN an interview - esp one at a scholarship competition rather than considering admissions.

Probably most parents aren't trying to push their way in, but enough are that they've had to make a policy.

I remember hearing from a director of graduate studies about an applicant for a PhD program whose mother came to the interview and asked all the questions.

He did not receive an offer.

I remember hearing from a director of graduate studies about an applicant for a PhD program whose mother came to the interview and asked all the questions.

He did not receive an offer.

Poor guy...

One has to wonder about the mental capacity of some parents.  They may be great at academics, but do they truly not get the "rest" of life?