Menu

nm

HSmomof2

I'm wondering if it is at all like a tic. My dd has had a few tics off and on (verbal--throat clearing, non-verbal--blinking, neck stretching). If it's something similar, the instructions are to not worry, try to ignore them, they usually go away on their own. But I agree that it's worth checking in with her doctor.

My friends dd has something like this last year, when she was 8. However it progressed and affected more than just her speech. At the hospital they found out her brain was having seizures. As soon as they put her on anti seizure medicine she was fine. They don't know the cause; they thought possibly due to a virus. But she still takes the meds. I would probably have her checked out.

Thanks, I agree she should be checked....she'll be nine in a couple weeks and has her yearly checkup scheduled the day after her birthday.

I would call your doctor and describe the symptoms and ask him if waiting a couple weeks is reasonable or if she should come in earlier.  If it is neurological in origin (ie seizures or something), I would think they would want to address that as soon as possible and it would likely mean a referral and figuring that time in, too.

I would call your doctor and describe the symptoms and ask him if waiting a couple weeks is reasonable or if she should come in earlier. If it is neurological in origin (ie seizures or something), I would think they would want to address that as soon as possible and it would likely mean a referral and figuring that time in, too.

I agree with Laurie. Ask anyone on this board....I am one to wait and hold out before going to the doctor or hospital. To the point that I get on some people's nerves, but I *think* I would at least call and ask since that sounds neurological, BUT ultimately you have to trust your mommy sense on these things. Mommy sense is brilliant.

I would have her checked out.  Given the changes in speech and the history of headaches, I would ask for a consult with a peds neurologist.  Might be nothing but for one dd the headaches were actually seizures and seizures worsen her fluency.

I would try not to make a big deal about it right now though in front of dd.

Stuttering sometimes runs in families -- it did in mine.  I can tell you my experience.  My stuttering began when I was about in second grade, and everyone made such a big deal about it, that I became very self-conscious about it.  It became a lot harder to overcome, I believe, as a result.

My son began stuttering when he was younger than that, and though I had him meet with a speech therapist, I didn't tell him who that person was or why he was meeting with him.  I can't remember what I told him, actually!  :)  In the end, it just came and went, and I was glad I never said anything.  Maybe if we had made a big deal about it, he would have become self-conscious about it and would have thought about it so much, that it would become more difficult to overcome.

Because of my experiences, I'd let it ride for awhile and not make a big deal of it.  You said your daughter's headaches are much better, so as long as she doesn't have any other symptoms, I'd wait it out for awhile.  I wouldn't bring it up with her at all.  Make sure you give her plenty of time to speak, and don't interrupt or make her feel hurried.

There is also developmental stammering or stuttering. My son's good friend has a developmental stutter. His sister had the same thing, but it stopped when she was three. She suddenly started stammering and it lasted for a few weeks and went away. It was a sign of increased mental development. Her mouth literally could not keep up with her brain. Now, her brother has the same thing but it comes back at times when he is growing or developing a lot. Right now he is a 5th grader and it is fairly pronounced. It had not been seen in years. His mom recently commented that obviously 5th grade is a more challenging year for him than second, third or fourth, lol. When he is very excited he almost always stammers, just a bit, in the most endearing way.

He has been evaluated many times by SLPs both through the school and privately and they all come to the same conclusion. It is developmental and it is a sign of growth or stress and it will go away on its own.

But, if she is noticing it, if she is asking about it, then it is a really good idea to take that seriously and I am glad you called the doctor. 

Guest submarines

I would insist on being seen immediately, no matter for the nurse says (without making it a big deal in front of DD). My cousin's stuttering was the first sign of a brain tumor (he was in his 50's, though.) I'm sure there are many relatively benign reasons for stuttering, especially if it runs in the family, but it is not something I'd gamble with. If it is something serious, you wouldn't want to wait for 2 weeks.

I hope it is nothing :grouphug: