Menu

Ironing

Night Elf

It's been years since I've ironed anything. Dd15 has a couple of cotton button down shirts that get wrinkled during the spin cycle of the wash. The dryer doesn't get them all out. So she tried ironing the shirts but the wrinkles still didn't come out. Is there a trick to this? We set it on the cotton setting.

Come to think of it, my mom used to use starch for all her ironing. If the water doesn't work, I'll try starch. I'll also try using the steam feature. I don't know why I didn't think of that. I like the idea of pulling it out early, but I'm sure we'd forget every time.

Back in the day when I was learning to iron, steam irons didn't exist and everything we ironed was cotton.  We used to spray it with water (Ketchup bottle with holes in the lid, i kid you not) and roll it up to let the water soak into the fabric.  If the ironing didn't get done that day, my Mom would put it into the freezer until we got to it another day.

We used to spray it with water (Ketchup bottle with holes in the lid, i kid you not) and roll it up to let the water soak into the fabric.

We had an Orange Crush bottle with the sprinkler top.

I use spray starch when I iron.

Dry it for 10 minutes, then pull it out and flap/snap it by the shoulders. Hang it up and smooth out the wrinkles with your hands as much as possible. If it still needs ironing, mist with water or spray starch (it's only about $1) and iron on the cotton setting with steam.

Dry it for 10 minutes, then pull it out and flap/snap it by the shoulders. Hang it up and smooth out the wrinkles with your hands as much as possible. If it still needs ironing, mist with water or spray starch (it's only about $1) and iron on the cotton setting with steam.

But there are fine, fine wrinkles that must be ironed out. I always iron 100% cotton clothing (and I try to avoid buying it for that very reason!). Clothes come out of the dryer without major wrinkles, but I can definitely tell the difference when I don't iron them; hems and pockets especially need to be ironed so that they lie flat.

For dress shirts, I don't even put them in the dryer. This saves ironing time but also makes them last longer- the dryer is hard on those cuffs and collars. I hang them wet on hangers and when they are almost dry I iron them. Works beautifully.

That said, I really do iron as little as possible. There is a reason I live in t-shirts and hoodies. ;)