Menu

Email from Target offering credit monitoring?

Annie G

I rarely shop Target - maybe twice a year tops, but did shop in early December while in the town where dd attends college. I used a debit card from our local credit union. I haven't had any suspicious activity on my account, and I'm not particularly worried about it because this credit union has been excellent regarding catching unauthorized use. 

So today I got an email from Target offering credit monitoring. Um, how did they get my email?  Is this legit? Please tell me you guys have gotten this...

It may or may not be a scam.  I would NOT use the information in the e-mail and would not reply via that e-mail just in case it is a phishing expedition.   These thieves are clever, and this could be a way to harm people further.

What you can do is go to the official Target website and click on the link that Mrs. Mungo linked to to take them up on their offer for credit monitoring that way. 

It may or may not be a scam. I would NOT use the information in the e-mail and would not reply via that e-mail just in case it is a phishing expedition. These thieves are clever, and this could be a way to harm people further.

What you can do is go to the official Target website and click on the link that Mrs. Mungo linked to to take them up on their offer for credit monitoring that way.

:iagree:

Don't take any chances -- don't use the link in the email.

Just got the same email a few minutes ago. The data breach also involved addresses, phone numbers, and emails of customers. I'd take them up on the offer of credit monitoring, though I would type the email address into my browser myself rather than clicking on the link.

I've lived in my quiet little world with not much intrusion from the outside world- I have never even received the infamous Nigerian prince email claiming I inherited a zillion dollars. So tell me...how did the data breach allow them to get my address, email, and phone numbers? How does Target have that stuff in the first place?

I do know enough not to click on the link but don't know whether a fake email should concern me or if they're common and  to treat it just like junk mail. 

I've lived in my quiet little world with not much intrusion from the outside world- I have never even received the infamous Nigerian prince email claiming I inherited a zillion dollars. So tell me...how did the data breach allow them to get my address, email, and phone numbers? How does Target have that stuff in the first place?

Well, the breach included that sort of info (http://www.cnbc.com/id/101328613). Also, data brokers have comiled this sort of information and have ways of linking it up. You can bet hackers do this sort of thing too. Plus, they could just be casting a wide net to see who they can catch.

More on the credit monitoring specifically here - https://creditmonitoring.target.com/

yes, i would be wary of the email also. I used my chase debit card in dec at Target and got an email and letter from chase that they are replacing my debit card. 

If you used your debit card, it wouldnt make sense for the email to come from Target

yes, i would be wary of the email also. I used my chase debit card in dec at Target and got an email and letter from chase that they are replacing my debit card. 

If you used your debit card, it wouldnt make sense for the email to come from Target

I tend to agree. FWIW, our bank sent us all new cards. If you wanted to use the services Target is offering, then I would use the link on their site.

As an update, I went to the Target website and used their link and then opened another tab and pasted in the website from my email. (You guys told me to do that instead of clicking the link straight from the email). It was the same page, same web address, everything. So I guess that leaves me feeling a little better that it was likely a legit email from Target. But how do THEY have my email address to send me this? I used my debit card from my local credit union, I have never ordered from them online, and don't have their red card or anything. 

As to how Target got your email address when you just used a debit card....

< play sinister music here>

1 - easiest method - you used your debit card online SOMEWHERE along with your email address.  The company that owns that website sold their customer list (name, address, email, debit card last 4 digits) to a consolidator.  Target bought the list from the consolidator (it may have passed thru 2 or 3 more companies on the way) and is using that to "get the message out" to affected customers because Target has your name, billing address, and debit card number to match up with the consolidator's list.  Exact match = easy.

2 - more round about method.  You NEVER used this debit card online.  Target still has billing name/address from debit card.  They do a "most likely" match against a consolidator's list.  In the effort to "get the message out", Target may send emails to folks who never purchased anything from Target stores, but still end up looking good because "at least they made an effort".  Since sending emails is relatively cheap, this would be a good investment from a marketing standpoint.

< end sinister music>

Anything you do on the internet is there forever.  And prolly available to the consolidators for a price.

we just got new credit cards from our company.  they didn't ask us, they just did it.

it will be work to switch payment plans out, but it will be good to not worry.

i like that better than monitoring.

ann

Twice in the past year we have received notice that our debit cards have possibly been compromised.  One was a local grocery store and I can't recall the other one.  Both times the credit union sent us new cards, which meant we had to change all our autopays. What a pain- especially trying to recall all the little ones that only get charged once a year like our Ipass for the tollway or the XM radio subscription. I was trying to avoid that this time, but I guess better safe than sorry. But ugh-- this is what I use to pay for both kids' college bills (tuition, books, food, etc., all at different times) and things like that. 

Dh is on the board at the credit union and they were kind of upset because the grocery store one caused them to have to send out a LOT of new cards, and in the end nobody has yet tried to use those numbers.  So that incident cost the credit union a lot of money and it wasn't THEIR security breach. Yeah, it's part of doing business but like I said, this is the third one on a little over a year and it's costing a lot for them to reissue new cards.  

Off to call and get a new card. Ugh. 

1 - easiest method - you used your debit card online SOMEWHERE along with your email address.  The company that owns that website sold their customer list (name, address, email, debit card last 4 digits) to a consolidator.  Target bought the list from the consolidator (it may have passed thru 2 or 3 more companies on the way) and is using that to "get the message out" to affected customers because Target has your name, billing address, and debit card number to match up with the consolidator's list.  Exact match = easy.

2 - more round about method.  You NEVER used this debit card online.  Target still has billing name/address from debit card.  They do a "most likely" match against a consolidator's list.  In the effort to "get the message out", Target may send emails to folks who never purchased anything from Target stores, but still end up looking good because "at least they made an effort".  Since sending emails is relatively cheap, this would be a good investment from a marketing standpoint.

< end sinister music>

Anything you do on the internet is there forever.  And prolly available to the consolidators for a price.

In addition, if you've ever ordered anything online from Target, they'd have your email address.

< end sinister music>

Hmm...all stuff I didn't know. Thanks for taking the time to explain it.  I'm not freaky about my privacy- I am reasonably cautious but not overly worried about people hacking my identity.   But I knew there was a reason I refuse to give my email address out at a store! I bet Kohl's sells that info faster than I can get home and cut the tags off my stuff.