Menu

What to do for abcessed tooth for dd7?

BlueTaelon

Yesterday her tooth started hurting but the tooth is lose and its got a spacer attached to it. I called our old dentist in our last state and was told its just the new tooth coming in and the tooth/spacer moving around is making the gum tender. Give her motrin. Today she came home from school and screamed in pain when I gave her a hug:( Her cheek looks a little swollen too. We got heavy snow coming down and its unlikely we will be able to get safely through the passes tomorrow. Nearest dentist is 50 miles away (about 1hr and 15 min) and the roads are already bad the entire way. Her regular Dr is 18 miles and about 30 min away (gotta love those curvy mountain roads!) Would it be safe health wise to take her to the Dr tomorrow for abx then the dentist when the storm clears? I've never dealt with this before. I'm not even sure I will be able to get her seen at the dentist tomorrow as we've never been to them, there is only 1 pediatric dentist that takes our insurance and he's in the city. I'm not even sure my ride will be able to get out of their driveway. I can't wait to get my car fixed.

If it comes down to it I would go to an ER they can at least prescribe  antibiotics. I would not mess around with an infected tooth, that can get very very bad.

Yes to the above.

Your old dentist may be able to call in a prescription for her.

ETA: Remember to get her probiotics when you can. 

Yes, please get it taken care if soon. I will always remember the story here in Martland of the little boy who didn't get his abscessed tooth treated and the bacteria traveled to his brain and killed him :(

I also have heard of people getting into trouble for not taking their kid some where. I mean even an ER can give antibiotics. That pain is HORRIFYING! A friend of mine thought it no big deal her little boy went for days and when they finally went to a dentist they called CPS

The woman I teach religious education with had her son go from absolutely fine to severe infection that required hospitalization for several days in something like 24 hours.  Go take her wherever you must.  It's in the mouth, close to the brain.  Don't mess with it.  Go.

Wow, I know its serious folks, some of you seem to think I'm going to just sit and wait. I'm not stupid, I know the risks and last night when I posted it was already to late to be seen and we had no way to get there. I have called every where in the city that takes our insurance and for reasons I don't understand there are no open dentists on Friday and the clinic I wanted to take her to won't even see her because she's over age 5 with Medicaid. They gave me numbers of other dentists but they are closed until Monday. She has an appt in an hour for the pedi for abx and Monday I can call and see if I can get her into the dentist Mon or Tues. Now the real question is, will the pharmacy have the abx? I have never seen such a poorly equipped pharmacy, they have had to order nearly every script I have ever brought in! (its the only pharmacy for over an hour, ugh, the joys of rural living)

Good luck. The antibiotics are more important than the dentist; the dentist will usually not do anything with an abscessed tooth until the infection is cleared up by the antibiotics, because messing with the tooth would get the bacteria into the blood stream.

I hope you can also get her some pain killers in addition to the antibiotics.

Wow, I know its serious folks, some of you seem to think I'm going to just sit and wait. I'm not stupid, I know the risks and last night when I posted it was already to late to be seen and we had no way to get there. I have called every where in the city that takes our insurance and for reasons I don't understand there are no open dentists on Friday and the clinic I wanted to take her to won't even see her because she's over age 5 with Medicaid. They gave me numbers of other dentists but they are closed until Monday. She has an appt in an hour for the pedi for abx and Monday I can call and see if I can get her into the dentist Mon or Tues. Now the real question is, will the pharmacy have the abx? I have never seen such a poorly equipped pharmacy, they have had to order nearly every script I have ever brought in! (its the only pharmacy for over an hour, ugh, the joys of rural living)

For my abscess, I was prescribed Amoxicillin. It should be very widely available. Dh had to get something stronger, but I had no problem wiping it out with the basic stuff.

Wishing you the best! I'm sorry you're having so much difficulty.

Wow, I know its serious folks, some of you seem to think I'm going to just sit and wait. I'm not stupid, I know the risks and last night when I posted it was already to late to be seen and we had no way to get there. )

Sadly there have been many posts here where a parent would not act in an extreme situation that many felt needed a trip to the ER or a call for an ambulance. That is why people are going into the detail and pushing for your child to be seen. Nothing on you personally

Did you move close to me??? I mean your description of my town is so exact!!!!

Did you move close to me??? I mean your description of my town is so exact!!!!

If your blog is correct, I live on the other side of the country:)

Saw the Dr and he gave us a script for Amoxicillin, he's got the on call shift for the clinic/hospital this weekend and said if we don't see a lot of improvement by tomorrow morning I need to call him for another script and make sure to pick it up because the pharmacy is closed on Sundays. I hate having to give my biz to that pharmacy, they are very rude to those using Medicaid, Dr gave me a refill on dd's Claritian too and I tried filling it and the lady handed it back to me acting like Medicaid wouldn't pay for it and said it was OTC. I told her its covered under Medicaid and I can't afford to pay out of pocket this month and Medicaid will cover it so please fill it. She huffed and stormed off. Last month they refused to fill dd13's blood sugar test strips for the brand we use because they don't make a profit on the reimbursement. Yeah, they actually said that and demanded we switch to True Track which requires a much bigger blood sample and its very painful compared to the Freestyle Lite we use. Thankfully I was going into the city the next day anyway so I just took it to walmart who filled it without batting an eye.

If your blog is correct, I live on the other side of the country:)

Saw the Dr and he gave us a script for Amoxicillin, he's got the on call shift for the clinic/hospital this weekend and said if we don't see a lot of improvement by tomorrow morning I need to call him for another script and make sure to pick it up because the pharmacy is closed on Sundays. I hate having to give my biz to that pharmacy, they are very rude to those using Medicaid, Dr gave me a refill on dd's Claritian too and I tried filling it and the lady handed it back to me acting like Medicaid wouldn't pay for it and said it was OTC. I told her its covered under Medicaid and I can't afford to pay out of pocket this month and Medicaid will cover it so please fill it. She huffed and stormed off. Last month they refused to fill dd13's blood sugar test strips for the brand we use because they don't make a profit on the reimbursement. Yeah, they actually said that and demanded we switch to True Track which requires a much bigger blood sample and its very painful compared to the Freestyle Lite we use. Thankfully I was going into the city the next day anyway so I just took it to walmart who filled it without batting an eye.

Too bad! Thought I found a local :) Sorry people have acted rude over Medicaid we have used that as well and have seen how some act! It is hard I know!!!

DD7 just dealt with an abscessed tooth right before Christmas.  When she told me her tooth hurt, I took a quick look and thought it was canker sores b/c we had had a lot of acidic food that week.  She complained about her tooth just once, and then never brought it up again...in fact I thought her sores had gone away because she wasn't acting like she was in pain.  (She has normally chubby cheeks anyway.) 

We just happened to have a dental appt the following Monday and the dentist informed me that it was abscessed.  Because of their busy schedule, it was 10 days before DD7 could have the tooth pulled but she did well on the amoxicillin.  After reading some of these posts, I honestly had no clue that abscessed teeth were deadly.  I'm so thankful that the kids had a regular check-up when they did.  And I'm a little relieved that CPS didn't show up at our door :eek:

The dentist did tell me not to use a warm compress/heating pad on her face.  I felt like a complete idiot not knowing that my youngest had this problem tooth, but this has been our first abscess in the family.  Hope you can get the prescription filled!