Menu

OT for a dysgraphic student?

Have you pursued this? I would love to hear about it. How long did you do OT? What kinds of things did your OT do that were helpful? My ds10 has problems with gross motor/balance/planning. His struggles are 100% fine motor (dysgraphic), and are quite severe. He experiences pain while/after writing, his handwriting is far, far below grade level, he struggles with other fine motor tasks, etc. 

I'd be paying out of pocket (insurance only covers OT as needed after an accident) so I want to know if this is something worthwhile for dysgraphic kids before I start exploring that avenue.

Thanks!

Wow, it sounds like yes, this would definitely be worth it.  Have you had evaluations to determine what all might be the specific issues?  My son has handwriting issues, but very different from yours.  I have been doing my own OT since no one around here has a clue on how to help him.  I think in your case I would find a way to get a thorough, detailed diagnosis of what is causing the specific difficulties (since there are many things that can cause these issues) so you can be certain you are addressing the true issues, then definitely pursue whatever path that takes you, including OT.  Has he had an evaluation through a Developmental Optometrist (not a standard vision screening)?

:bigear: 

I've just put my ds on a waiting list to see an OT at a clinic.  First he will have an assessment, and then we will look at therapy.

To echo what One Step says about looking at the cause, I can tell you that dealing directly with the handwriting did not work for us.  DS saw an OT for a few months who sat with him and worked specifically on his handwriting and nothing else.  Although he like her and cooperated, there was not much of an improvement.

We are hoping that a more global approach that looks at things like sensory issues, muscle tone etc. will help him in all facets of his daily functioning.

We shall see ....

You wrote the 'He experiences pain while/after writing,'

Where it might be helpful to understand this pain?

All muscles come in a set of 2 opposing muscles, to move a limb, finger, etc, back and forth.

But these opposing muscles work in unison, so that while controlled contraction occurs in one muscle.

Controlled extension of the opposing muscle occurs at the same time.

Though when the muscles aren't working in unison in their contraction/ extension?

Then the contracting muscle has to struggle against it opposing muscle, which isn't extending.

Where you can probably appreciate the pain that this can cause?

So that remediation involves enabling opposing muscles to work in fluid unison.

Though their are 3 basic muscle groups for our hands.

The muscle group in the palm of our hands, to open and close the hand.

Then the thenar muscle group for the thumb.

Along with the muscle group for our fingers, which are in our forearm, as their are no muscles in the fingers.

Though remediation involves simple exercises, such as the one with fingers?

That involves touching the thumb with a fingertip, going from finger to finger.

To develop a more fluid connection between opposing muscles in each finger.

Both of our sons did it for over a year.  I feel that the motor planning got better, but I'm not sure the fine motor part improved.  I moved them both on to karate for the motor planning, and that is going well.  For fine motor, I have them work in handwriting practice books, but I limit the other handwriting they have to do for school work.  They both type and are pretty good at it.

DS doesn't have a formal dysgraphia label, but has c/palsy and we were told testing would show he had dysgraphia as a related issue.

Our first OT was young and inexperienced (I think, in retrospect) and only worked on handwriting. After two months with no improvement (and other issues with the facility), we switched to a new OT and added in PT. We started to see huge gains in a very short time and continue to see gains. They are not even specifically working on handwriting now but are working on motor planning, balance, building core strength, etc.

We do a lot of therapy at home with him, too, including Diane Craft's writing 8 program. (Used that 4-5 times a week for two months until DS could form all his letters fluently.)

I would say six months in to therapy - we saw night and day improvement in academics and ability to write.

Re: insurance

Our former insurance said they only covered therapy in cases of accidents. We searched around and found a state law (tx) that said insurance companies must pay for therapy for developmental delays. I have no idea if dysgraphia falls under that, but we used that law to fight our insurance company. We lost three rounds of appeals, then called insurance company and said we were filing case with state attorney general. Our case was then expedited higher up and we were notified that day that they would cover all past and future therapy. (With some limits.)

Another thought: have you checked for retained primitive reflexes?

There are websites and books available that show how to test at home.

The ATNR and STNR are especially linked to core issues and posture and how a child sits and "looks ahead" where to write.

Children with these reflexes retained tire out easily when writing.

Something you can test for for free...

GVG, I'm glad that you mentioned the retained primitive reflexes, and it's great to hear about your son's improvement. :001_smile: Goodness knows, you both have earned it.  

DS is diagnosed dysgraphia and was evaluated by an OT 1.5 years ago.  We learned that he had two retained prim reflexes and vestibular issues.  OT for DS lasted 1 visit per week combined with daily exercises for about 7 weeks.  At that time, he also completed Interactive Metronome therapy.  

OT has helped my son, but he sounds like he has different issues.

Right now I don't think my son is going to be able to write by hand well enough to do a lot of things by hand, but he has improved a lot.

If I had been looking for a higher result, I think I would be dissatisfied.  But he has come a long way, and it makes a difference. 

I have one that is severely dysgraphic and I could describe as you did your son. My son has been evaluated twice by OT over the years and both times they said they couldn't do anything for him. He is starting vision therapy next week and the doc thinks VT will help his handwriting as well as other things.

We did OT for 3 years and while it was profoundly helpful for SPD, we did not see improvement in the dysgraphia either. You might get the eval and see what therapy is suggested but there doesn't seem to be much that OT can do for fine motor/handwriting issues. :( As I understand it, dysgraphia is more accommodated than remediated.