Menu

What would you do to my fireplace surround?

caitlinsmom

We are waiting to close on a house that hasn't been touched since 1973.  It's a beauty complete with harvest gold appliances and patterned carpets.  Of all the projects in the house, I am stumped by only one- the fireplace.  The surround is lava rock and it's located in what will be the dining room.  The current weight of the surround makes the 9ft ceilings feel more like 6 ft.

I can't decide if we should tear it all out and start over, give it a makeover, leave it be (gah!). 

So tell me, what would you do to this poor old beast?

post-1750-0-10500200-1389156850_thumb.jpg

Can you remove the metalwork and just leave an open look on the hearth? That alone would lighten up the look. Put a light screen in its place when there's a fire going.

I think painting your ceiling might actually help lighten the room as well. In the photo the surround looks like stone, but since you call it lava rock I guess that's the porous stuff? Don't know what can be done with that, can't imagine it taking paint well. So maybe just do other things to make I work (like painting the ceiling and woodwork).

Eta fraidycat and I were posted at the same time, just so you know there's more than one of us whose initial thought was to lighten the ceiling.

:)  Painting is number 1 on my to do list.  A creamy white on the ceilings to brighten it a bunch (there are two sets of french doors opposite the stove).  We haven't decided if we will paint the beams or not, it will depend on the wall paint color we decide on.  The flooring will be removed and replaced with food floors in a warm cherry/walnut color.

Honestly, I'd have to see it in person to see how it fits with the rest of the room. Just on this one picture, I don't think it warrants total replacement. Then again, I love rock fireplaces. I think they are stately. The metal part is the worst part, but with the way the room is done up, it might not be horrible. If the metal part pulls easily away and you're left with a hole in the rock where a fire could actually fit, I guess you could get a screen put up. My fireplace is stone (doesn't go up to the ceiling though) with a metal frame, but nothing that juts out. We just have a screen propped up. Our kids were 7, 8/9, and 13 when we moved in and they never touched it.

Can you remove the metalwork and just leave an open look on the hearth? That alone would lighten up the look. Put a light screen in its place when there's a fire going.

That is the plan.  The woodstove insert that is present now was added years ago but never fit properly.  It hasn't been used in nearly 2 decades.  I hope by removing the insert it will help take a lot of the visual weight away.  We will just use the existing firebox (after it's been inspected) and use the screen that's already there. 

As for the rocks, they are actually lava rock which is very porous and dust attracting.  Some of what looks like color on those rocks is actually 30 year old dust. :)  Hows that for allergy free!  I'm not sure of the room size, maybe 10x14?  I think that's a fairly close guess. 

I think we may have decided to take the rocks of the top half to help take some of the weight off..... not sure. :)