Menu

John Rosemond's column this week: advice to homeschooling mom

Kathryn

The Kentucky Board of Psychology and the Kentucky Attorney General have asked him not to identify himself as a psychologist when he dispenses advice in our state because he is not licensed. He sued and claimed it violated his First Amendment Rights which is nonsense in my opinion. We all have the right to distribute advice, but we don't have the right to do it while claiming medical credentials we don't have.

Whoa....

First, good job Bluegrass state for calling him on his B.S. (And I don't mean the degree! :P )

Second, that says enough about his character to tell me I don't want to touch his advice with a 10 foot pole.

Wow.  What in the heck is she doing for that long each day?  Any why in the world would they need homework?  And if they were in PS, I guarantee you that as a parent you would be expected to help them figure out their homework assignments in the evening, believe me, I have BTDT as a teacher and a parent of kids in school.

What a ridiculous post, both by the parent and the author.

My ethics, as a licensed professional in mental health, dictate that I be *exceedingly* clear and direct about my credentialiing and licensing. I am expected to correct any person who may think I am more credentialed than I am.

He does't appear to actually HAVE a license? His education is equivalent to mine.

I'm applying for a few Ph D. options. I should just add "psychologist" or "Doctor" to my business cards now. It will only be 4-6 years before they are accurate.

I find this all very confusing, because I don't know what they standards are.  Is it specific to KY or common in EVERY state that the person have a phd to call themselves a psychologist?  See in the description they put on the Cincy convention website (which thousands will read and to which thousands are coming) he states very explicitly multiple times that he practiced as a psychologist.  Copied directly from http://cincinnatihomeschoolconvention.com

Professional Credentials

John Rosemond has worked with families, children, and parents since 1971 in the field of family psychology. In 1971, John earned his masters in psychology from Western Illinois University...

From 1971-1979, he worked as a psychologist in Illinois and North Carolina and directed several mental-health programs for children.

From 1980-1990. John was in full-time practice as a family psychologist with Piedmont Psychological Associates in Gastonia.

The Kentucky Board of Psychology and the Kentucky Attorney General have asked him not to identify himself as a psychologist when he dispenses advice in our state because he is not licensed. He sued and claimed it violated his First Amendment Rights which is nonsense in my opinion. We all have the right to distribute advice, but we don't have the right to do it while claiming medical credentials we don't have.

I'm not a psychologist but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn...

I find this all very confusing, because I don't know what they standards are. Is it specific to KY or common in EVERY state that the person have a phd to call themselves a psychologist? See in the description they put on the Cincy convention website (which thousands will read and to which thousands are coming) he states very explicitly multiple times that he practiced as a psychologist. Copied directly from http://cincinnatihomeschoolconvention.com

The title psychologist is reserved for persons credentialed through the process described by the American Psychology Association. It involves much more than a master's degree or another type of doctorate.

It is national.

He is a "psychological associate."

See here for description: http://ncapp.org/issues/nc-lpas/

And here for license search (type in Rosemond in the last name box, he's the only one):

http://www.ncpsychologyboard.org/search.htm

Also, I note that under "board action," it says "yes," but you have to write them for more information.

ETA: ooh, and he's at a "supervision level" of 1. Wonder why?

Advice is good for older students and for when mom schedules independent work, but I think that kids her age shouldn't be doing school from 8:30 to 2 pm plus 2 hrs if homework. It seems to me 4 hrs of school with somewhere between 1-2 hrs of independent work, perhaps mixed in with working with mom, ought to be plenty.

I have recently began working with dd, 6, about how to be respectful and not interrupt if I am working with her younger brother and quietly work independently and vice a versa but we just started this and the independent work is about 2 15 minute slots a day. I am only doing this because next year ds will be in k so I would like to start preparing her to do an hour of independent work a day so I can work with her brother one on one. For her age however I will likely break up independent work into 2-4 small increments of 30, 20 or 15 min where she is still with us at the table or near by.

He is a "psychological associate."

See here for description: http://ncapp.org/issues/nc-lpas/

And here for license search (type in Rosemond in the last name box, he's the only one):

http://www.ncpsychologyboard.org/search.htm

Also, I note that under "board action," it says "yes," but you have to write them for more information.

ETA: ooh, and he's at a "supervision level" of 1. Wonder why?

That supervision level is the amount of hours of supervision he's supposed to get if he works in their system.  Apparently he hasn't logged enough hours in their system to move that.  

http://www.enamp.org/PDF/Licensure%20Information%20NAMP.pdf   This is the list of what states allow for licensure of practitioners with a masters and what they are called.  All the states that license someone with a masters seem to have their own term that delineates that it's not the same as a psychologist.  

What does that mean?

Click her links.   Basically it's this oddity that he was licensed years ago through NC and maintains licensure there but gets a different title than what is listed on the cincy convention resume.  A doctoral student graduating with a phd needs hours of supervision for licensure, so they're letting in these people with masters to fill the gap (per the NC website info) and setting up similar supervision tiers to work through.  The longer they work in the system and are supervised, the less supervision is mandated.  Thing is, it appears he basically chose not to fulfill that structure, even though he has maintained his licensure there.  In other words, he has kind of gone rogue.  ;)

Whatever, no skin off my hide.  The whole thing is pretty curious though.

I thik it sounds like good advice!

I thick it sounds like good advice for older children.  At 7 and 9, they are doing way too much school.   Indy has a set amount of things to do in a day, and while I will teach and go over everything and answer questions, I'm done at a certain time.  I have things I have to do and I need to give Han Solo some time.  Indy keeps working until he finishes.  If he doesn't know how to do something, he's to do his best, and I will look over it the next morning and work out what he needs to do.  *I* can't school all day.

I also have a set period of time that is just for me.  We call it "Mommy Time."  It started when he was about 6.  I would set him up with toys, a DVD if he wanted it, a snack and drink, and he was to let me have 1 hour in peace.  Of course it went longer if he was watching a DVD.  Yay!  Now it takes place when Han Solo goes down for his afternoon nap, but I don't have to set him up with anything, as he can do it himself now.  Mommy time is my favorite time of the day.  I have no one making any demands on me and can just relax.

fwiw: I only see that he has a Master's degree. It takes a Ph.d. to designate as a "psychologist." Just saying.

Wiki says his degree is in Community Psychology. He didn't seem to have space to fit this detail in his own bio.

I had never heard of him before, but just from his bio and the op's quote, he makes me want to lock him in a cell with Michael Pearl.

ETA I just scrolled through the rest of the posts and I see Kathryn has a lot more info about this guy's actual licensure. Thanks, Kathryn .

The Kentucky Board of Psychology and the Kentucky Attorney General have asked him not to identify himself as a psychologist when he dispenses advice in our state because he is not licensed.  He sued and claimed it violated his First Amendment Rights which is nonsense in my opinion. We all have the right to distribute advice, but we don't have the right to do it while claiming medical credentials we don't have.

So who's going to attend his lecture and stand up to question his credentials? *poke*  Not me, but wouldn't that be fun. 

The Kentucky Board of Psychology and the Kentucky Attorney General have asked him not to identify himself as a psychologist when he dispenses advice in our state because he is not licensed.  He sued and claimed it violated his First Amendment Rights which is nonsense in my opinion. We all have the right to distribute advice, but we don't have the right to do it while claiming medical credentials we don't have.

Since professional licenses and titles are regulated by licensing boards his first ammendment rights claim is a red herring, not to mention total b.s.

This  would be like my dh calling himself a physician because he's a doctor. (psychologist, btw, with 2 master's degrees, a doctoral degree and 2000 post graduation (not counting pre-grad) clinically supervised hours at an A.P.A. approved internship site and a multi-hour licensing exam, along with C.E.U's every year, fee to the licensing board and standards to uphold).

Or it would be like my calling my self a psychologist. I have the exact same level of degrees- no wait- I have 1 degree more than he does.