Menu

What % of your net income do you spend on groceries?

Quiver0f10

I agree, however, if you are trying to get your budget to a zero based budget as YNAB and DR suggest, it is helpful to know what percentage you spend.

If DR recommends 15% and you only spend 10%, you can see that you have 5% left of your budget to put elsewhere.  The reverse is also true.

Dawn

What good is it to know the percentage?? If I say I spend 3% that doesn't tell you if I'm a great couponer or if I make a million dollars a year.

I have six at the table.....four 'adults' and two kids. I spend about 12% of net income on groceries.

...and I agree with other posters.....percent doesn't always reflect the info you are looking for. I also agree that my goal isn't always to spend as little as possible on food.....we need it to be good enough quality to nourish us and that is easier in some locations and times of the year thathers.

I hope you can find some balance.

I agree, however, if you are trying to get your budget to a zero based budget as YNAB and DR suggest, it is helpful to know what percentage you spend.

If DR recommends 15% and you only spend 10%, you can see that you have 5% left of your budget to put elsewhere.  The reverse is also true.

Dawn

Yes, exactly.

that's why I referred to  how many day's take home pay.  % has too many variables for me.

Even that has too many variables for me. My dh gets paid by the hour with a specific starting rate regardless of how long the job takes. But some days he could make a couple thousand, another day he could make a few hundred and then some days there's nothing. There is such thing as regular work or working hours in his line of work. We pay ourselves wages off of what he earns so percentage is more regular for me to use, but then you are right in that it really doesn't tell anyone anything because no one knows what our net personal income is.

I tend to agree that the percentage doesn't necessarily reflect how frugal/savy one is as this is directly dependent on total income and strongly influenced by family size.  I think category percentages can be helpful to look at in a more global or community sense to give policy makers a better sense of the situation or to allow service organizations to better target interventions and projects. 

For us, Food/Household Supplies/Gardening Costs are lumped and budgeted at ~7.5% of projected post-tax income for 2014.  For 2013 this category ended up a bit under our budget and likely just under 7% of our post-tax income (DH hasn't exactly done our taxes yet but he is very good at estimating accurately).  We actually budget in real numbers for categories based on what we feel are reasonable/likely expenses (as opposed to assigning a percentage to each category and then calculating an amount from there).  

I tend to agree that the percentage doesn't necessarily reflect how frugal/savy one is as this is directly dependent on total income and strongly influenced by family size.  I think category percentages can be helpful to look at in a more global or community sense to give policy makers a better sense of the situation or to allow service organizations to better target interventions and projects. 

For us, Food/Household Supplies/Gardening Costs are lumped and budgeted at ~7.5% of projected post-tax income for 2014.  For 2013 this category ended up a bit under our budget and likely just under 7% of our post-tax income (DH hasn't exactly done our taxes yet but he is very good at estimating accurately).  We actually budget in real numbers for categories based on what we feel are reasonable/likely expenses (as opposed to assigning a percentage to each category and then calculating an amount from there).  

We don't budget on percentages either........... I had to do a quick calculation to figure it out............