Menu

Book a Week in 2014 - BW1 Happy New Year

Robin M

Like this?

To get it to show up, under the video on youtube, there is a 'share' button. Click that & copy & paste that link here. Those are the ones that will show up in your post.

Great link, btw! ;) :D (And I do believe they would fit in the 'dandy' category too, so still slightly on-topic, right?)

Yes, thank you!  Yes, very dandy-ish.   :hat:   Is a tall hat considered dandy?

To all the new members -- don't freak out by all the 70s music silliness!  While we aren't a bunch of blue stockings, we are normally a somewhat more erudite and thoughtful bunch.  

And for the record, pardon the pun, I have a very soft spot for the BeeGees.  Saturday Night Fever was part of the soundtrack of my freshman year in college!  Walking down the hall in the girl's dorm, one song or another was blasting from almost every room. (Those were the days before walkmans and boom boxes!) Of course I wound up marrying the guy who wore a "disco sucks" t-shirt  :laugh:

I don't care very much for the movies Saturday Night Fever and Staying Alive, but their soundtracks are great.  Now I'll be singing "Staying Alive" for the rest of the night!   :lol:

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To all the new members -- don't freak out by all the 70s music silliness! While we aren't a bunch of blue stockings, we are normally a somewhat more erudite and thoughtful bunch.

And for the record, pardon the pun, I have a very soft spot for the BeeGees. Saturday Night Fever was part of the soundtrack of my freshman year in college! Walking down the hall in the girl's dorm, one song or another was blasting from almost every room. (Those were the days before walkmans and boom boxes!) Of course I wound up marrying the guy who wore a "disco sucks" t-shirt :laugh:

Jenn is right -- we're not normally this silly. It's just for the new year!

Jenn, as far as you 'walking down the hall in the girl's dorm', I see you more strutting down the hall. Surely you did that 'Stayin' Alive' type strut when hearing the music???!!! How could you not? I mean, there's just a certain 'walk' that goes w/ the music! :lol:

Jenn, as far as you 'walking down the hall in the girl's dorm', I see you more strutting down the hall. Surely you did that 'Stayin' Alive' type strut when hearing the music???!!! How could you not? I mean, there's just a certain 'walk' that goes w/ the music! :lol:

"Well you can tell by the way I use my walk...."

Now strike the pose....

In keeping with the Japanese theme I'm remembering two books that I read years ago and really enjoyed. First is 'The Tale of Murasaki' by Liza Dalby. I remember taking my time with this since the writing asked that of the reader, not because it was ponderous but because the author's attention to detail was something to savor. I recall her writing as poetic and deliberate. In fact maybe I'll reread that one to see if it still stands. The other one is 'The Pillow Book of Sei Shonagon' which is the diary of a courtesan in 10th century Japan. From the description on Amazon ::

Japan in the 10th century stood physically and culturally isolated from the rest of the world. Inside this bubble, a subtle and beautiful world was in operation, and its inhabitants were tied to the moment, having no interest in the future and disdain for the past. In a small diary, a young courtesan of the Heian period gives her account of the Japanese courts of the day, providing perspective on a unique time in Japanese history. A contemporary of Murasaki Shikibu, the author of The Tale of Genji, Sei Sho-nagon's commentary brings an added dimension to that timeless and seminal work.

In a place and time where poetry was as important as knowledge and beauty was highly revered, Sei Shonagon's private writings give the reader a charming and intimate glimpse into a time of isolated innocence and pale beauty.

It did slog a bit in the middle, but you're around the part where it will pick up and take off until the end. I loved Hobie too. Everyone, even people without issues like Theo's, should have someone like Hobie in their lives. I agree about Tartt's writing. I do want to read her other novels now. The Secret History will probably be next.

I loved Hobie too! I really liked Secret History. Reading it won't make you want to woodwork, but it will make you want to study Ancient Greek :D.

Throwing my hat in the ring and dusting off my blog.

So far this year I have read:

1. The Hidden City by David Eddings (re-read)

2. The Magician's Book: A Skeptic's Adventures in Narnia by Laura Miller (Did NOT enjoy but review to come)

I did keep track of my books last year which were mostly re-reads but I managed 92 books. Mostly audiobooks.

Eddings is my favorite fantasy author!  Sparhawk is awesome :)  Is this a reread?  I usually reread an Eddings book once a year.

It is a re-read. Sparhawk is indeed awesome. The Belgariad was the last books my mom read out loud to me growing up and I too usually read at least one of the books every year. However it has been ages since I read The Elenium and The Tamuli so re-reading both series over the holidays was like hanging out with old friends :)

Another Eddings fan here. I usually stick with The Belgariad, though. When I was a HS Jr, we had an exam where we had to do a character analysis. This was one of thoseprofessionally graded, multischool exams. We could choose any character we wanted, I wrote mine about Ce'Nedra ... And got the high score in my class.

Maybe this would be a good year for Elenium/Tamuli.

Just poking my head in to say happy new year, and many thanks to Robin for launching us into more reading.

(Had to get my courage up to join in the thread, what with all the frightening '70s glam and the disturbing anti-Hawthorne vibe ;) )

Bring it on, woman!  Fill me in on the redeeming value of Hawthorne (something I pretended to do when reading The Scarlet Letter with my son when he was in high school.) But wait--Hawthorne might be a tad too contemporary for you!  :coolgleamA:

Bring it on, woman! Fill me in on the redeeming value of Hawthorne (something I pretended to do when reading The Scarlet Letter with my son when he was in high school.) But wait--Hawthorne might be a tad too contemporary for you! :coolgleamA:

Right, first thing is not to start with The Scarlet Letter. A good approach is to start by reading aloud The Wonder-Book and Tanglewood Tales to children; that will correctly calibrate your Hawthorne irono-meter. Because he has a very dry ironic wit, and generations of high school students (and too often their teachers) badly misread him as a result.

Then some of his short stories. "Young Goodman Brown" and "The Maypole of Merry Mount" give Hawthorne's views on Puritans and their ideological successors, another essential aspect for The Scarlet Letter.

The Blithedale Romance was my last read-aloud to Great Girl. Why don't they teach that one in high schools? That scene near the end, where Zenobia, um, turns up (don't want spoilers) was greeted by Great Girl with cries of "Awesome!" And the novel shows the reader that Hawthorne's distrust of ideology wasn't limited to the Puritans.

By the way, did you know that Hawthorne's daughter, Rose, became a nun (a thing that just wasn't done in their society) and founded the first cancer hospice? We have a children's book about her that my girls really liked.

Right, first thing is not to start with The Scarlet Letter. A good approach is to start by reading aloud The Wonder-Book and Tanglewood Tales to children; that will correctly calibrate your Hawthorne irono-meter. Because he has a very dry ironic wit, and generations of high school students (and too often their teachers) badly misread him as a result.

Then some of his short stories. "Young Goodman Brown" and "The Maypole of Merry Mount" give Hawthorne's views on Puritans and their ideological successors, another essential aspect for The Scarlet Letter.

The Blithedale Romance was my last read-aloud to Great Girl. Why don't they teach that one in high schools? That scene near the end, where Zenobia, um, turns up (don't want spoilers) was greeted by Great Girl with cries of "Awesome!" And the novel shows the reader that Hawthorne's distrust of ideology wasn't limited to the Puritans.

By the way, did you know that Hawthorne's daughter, Rose, became a nun (a thing that just wasn't done in their society) and founded the first cancer hospice? We have a children's book about her that my girls really liked.

My general feeling on books that have withstood the test of time with which I don't connect is that I am the one who is missing something.  Your post confirms this so perhaps my perseverance may yet be rewarded.

Thank you so much for offering a kernel of hope.

Violet Crown actually makes me want to give Hawthorne another chance. Few people could do that. :)

Thank you, Violet! This is going into my English literature files.

My general feeling on books that have withstood the test of time with which I don't connect is that I am the one who is missing something.  Your post confirms this so perhaps my perseverance may yet be rewarded.

Violet Crown actually makes me want to give Hawthorne another chance. Few people could do that. :)

As someone who has never read Hawthorne at all, this is a great introduction.  Thank you, Violet Crown!

Thank you, Violet! This is going into my English literature files.

:iagree:

I just downloaded Blithedale Romance on the kindles for free. :) Thanks for the suggestion. The Wonder Book was my favorite Greek Myth read aloud. We read it several times and the paperback copy has earned many airmiles as a book everyone can read. ;)

I somehow managed to skip The Scarlett Letter and have been waiting for the dc's to read it with them. I was looking forward to it now......actually still think it will be fine.