Menu

how to do current events?

Hi,

We have never done current events at our house (shame on me!!) but I want to start mostly for my 11th grade daughter.  She has a heavy load so I don't want to overload her more, but I want her to be more aware of what is going on in the nation / world.  She is interested in learning more about politics.

Where do I start?  What resources should I use?  Do I just use our state journal? 

How are other people doing current events??

Thanks for any input-happy new year to all!

pj

I had my sons read one article from the BBC website each day -  but from a different section eg  Monday - World news, Tues - US news, Wed - technology, etc

Each month, they got to select one news topic and write a short 3-5 page analysis.  Then at the end of each semester, an 8-10 page on a news topic with three sections:  report the recent event, describe the history of the area, then make a historical connection between the past and present day tht led to the news event.

And for fun.............

http://crickler.com/crickler.html

This seems to have worked for my boys.   Even now, a year later, I overhear them talking about articles they have recently read on the BBC website - nice.

Myra

Every school day at lunch we listen to the five-minute "hourly news cast" on NPR at

http://www.npr.org/audiohelp/hourlynews.html

It's quick;it's easy; it's meaty. It has national and int'l news. It's not like a course you could put on a transcript, but it's done wonders for the kids' current events knowledge and ability to listen to complex, fast-paced news. We downloaded a free app so it's easy to get on the ipad now, too.

We love Channel One News.  Ds prefers it over CNN Student News.  He watches the daily show (~10 minutes) and we discuss it for 5 minutes or so.  This was shown to my oldest daughter almost every morning in her public high school.  There are also articles to read, weekly news quizzes, and other links.  If you subscribe to the teacher newsletter, you get daily discussion prompts, assessment questions and a complete show transcript.