Menu

Reading Program for Kindy

kagmypts

My mom is actually going to begin working with my DS on reading.  He is currently in preschool at a B&M school, and she would like to start "formal" instruction at school.  She would like a program that is phonics-based and has a coordinating pre-primers.  Does anyone have any recommendations?  She has heard good things about MCP.

ETA - My mom plans to work with my son throughout January, and I will be taking over after that.

My 5yo is liking Progressive Phonics. She feels accomplished every time she finishes one book and moves onto the next. This is my first time teaching reading from ground zero since my ds learned to read in ps kindy, so others are welcome to give pros and cons to using Progressive Phonics as the main reading instruction. I downloaded all the Progressive Phonics unto my ipad for free, so it is easy for us move through the books and I didn't have to print anything. It seems like it will be easy for your mom to start the program and you pick up where ever she leaves off. We didn't use any pre primers to reading, watching leapfrog DVDs were good for learning letter sounds for dd. I'm not positive, but Ii think Progressive Phonics had pre reading books. HTH

Aar would probably work well for her. It is really easy on the teacher and everything is spelled out. Hardback readers are included. It's especially well suited for kids that are ready to read on the younger side because it doesn't include any writing.

Progressive phonics requires that you read the books on screen or print them out. There are no books for purchase.

Progressive Phonics is nice.  We downloaded it onto the kindle app, and my son likes to read it on there.  I also printed out a few of the books as well.  It's also free, except for the printing if you choose to print, and that's nice.  My son likes the stories because they are silly, and he also enjoys the part where he finds the difference between the pictures- sort of a little reward after reading.

He also really likes the Starfall website/ app.  You can also print out the readers for that.

I was working through MCP with my DD (5 yr old/kinder) but didn't get far at all.  I felt like it moved pretty fast after the first several lessons.

We're currently happy with Recipe for Reading -- just the workbooks (which are a LOT like ETC, which had too much writing for us) but they have coordinating readers that accompany them.  We have the teacher's manual too, but I don't really follow it.  Just get some ideas from it occasionally.

I was working through MCP with my DD (5 yr old/kinder) but didn't get far at all.  I felt like it moved pretty fast after the first several lessons.

We're currently happy with Recipe for Reading -- just the workbooks (which are a LOT like ETC, which had too much writing for us) but they have coordinating readers that accompany them.  We have the teacher's manual too, but I don't really follow it.  Just get some ideas from it occasionally.

Thank you!  My mom feels very strongly about coordinating readers.  By the way, what is ETC?