Menu

Kitchen cabinets

DawnM

Dh and I have gone around and around on the kitchen cabinet deal.

We would love, love, love a complete kitchen remodel, complete with new flooring, re-arranging the layout, new cabinets, and a wall knocked down.

The budget will not allow it.  Not only that, but honestly, the cabinets are in good shape.  They are just an older style.

We like the look of wood.   

But what are our options if the wood is a little darker than we would like it to be and the style is outdated?   We have looked at paint stains and may go that route, but what color?  We have talked about painting an off-white.  It isn't our first choice but would be ok.

This picture is very similar to what we have.  There are some suggestions here, but wanted more if you have them.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg1223260219606.html

Sand them down and either paint or stain them.  the color would have to go with whatever countertops you have or want and the rest of kitchen.  You could also get new doors and drawers fronts in a different style and sand and paint/stain them and frames to match.  This would allow you to get a new look without an entire replacement.  

I sanded and painted our cabinets a very light tan color.  they look good but when I have the time and money I'll be replacing the doors because I don't like the style.

I'm dealing with this situation also. LOL

I've narrowed my options down to two:

1. replace the doors only; gel stain the rest of the cabinets to match new doors.  Ellie's suggestion to veneer is also an idea.

2. glaze the current cabinets - it gives some color, lets some wood show through, and is an easy enough for-now fix.

It only took me hundreds of hours perusing HOUZZ to get here.  And here I sit, still, trying to figure out how to settle my caviar wishes with my sardines budget.

I love oak!! I am sitting with 9 y/o builder grade that can't hold granite or quartz...

I see three options:

1) For light cabinets, paint white or cream (if they can be sanded smoothly), then get medium or dark counter tops

2) If you keep the cabinets, then a dark counter top

3) Stain the cabinets dark, then light colored counter tops

Honestly, if they're oak (which I think is attractive, though maybe not my fav) and in good condition, I'd put your money into new countertops, new appliances, maybe a new moveable island or installing a prep sink, and new hardware.  The only reason styles are going so quickly is because of the idiot internet.  Oak is fine.  I have oak downstairs for the kitchen we started with.  I put in a really modern granite-look formica (yes, they make such a thing) and I think it looks sharp.  Mine is blackish because dh didn't like the blue version that I thought was even better.  You can look at some place like Lee Valley for new hardware.

Sure you can sand and paint them, but that just seems like a lot of work.  Maybe they wouldn't bug you so much if your eyes were going to new countertops or a shiny new sink, kwim?  Or a wall color change or new curtains... Or that Breville convention toaster oven...  :D

They will need to be sanded and at least stained anyway.  There are areas where you can tell they are worn where the stain or glaze or whatever has worn out.

We have new appliances (well, new since we bought the house, they are stainless).  We need a countertop.    Still deciding on that.  Looked today at Home Depot.  I know what you are talking about and they did look nice enough for me, but DH still wants something else.

DH has agreed to build me more cabinets in the corner where there are none.  It has a peninsula and can't fit an additional island.  No curtains as we rather like bare windows and no one can see in anyway.  Walls do need to be painted as well.

Dawn

Honestly, if they're oak (which I think is attractive, though maybe not my fav) and in good condition, I'd put your money into new countertops, new appliances, maybe a new moveable island or installing a prep sink, and new hardware.  The only reason styles are going so quickly is because of the idiot internet.  Oak is fine.  I have oak downstairs for the kitchen we started with.  I put in a really modern granite-look formica (yes, they make such a thing) and I think it looks sharp.  Mine is blackish because dh didn't like the blue version that I thought was even better.  You can look at some place like Lee Valley for new hardware.

Sure you can sand and paint them, but that just seems like a lot of work.  Maybe they wouldn't bug you so much if your eyes were going to new countertops or a shiny new sink, kwim?  Or a wall color change or new curtains... Or that Breville convention toaster oven...   :D

Thanks all.  SwimTaxi, those are beautiful for your bathroom.  I am a little hesitant to go that dark in the kitchen.

We went to Home Depot today and looked at kitchen cabinets and they had a large section with just doors to see refinishing colors.  We came home with a couple to try and will try them on my son's sink/cabinet in his bathroom as we don't care what happens to those cabinets! 

Huh!  I didn't think of that.  I brought it up to DH last night and asked him if ours were builder grade and told him about your comment.  He said he had been wondering about that!  :crying:   He didn't communicate that to me!

So, we may be stuck with getting something lighter weight.  He thinks that even if we can't get granite or stone, that we could get Corian or something like Corian..

I thought you could get thin granite somewhere that didn't weigh as much.  I will have to do some research.

I love oak!! I am sitting with 9 y/o builder grade that can't hold granite or quartz...

I see three options:

1) For light cabinets, paint white or cream (if they can be sanded smoothly), then get medium or dark counter tops

2) If you keep the cabinets, then a dark counter top

3) Stain the cabinets dark, then light colored counter tops

one thought about a lighter weight granite - there are grainite "tiles" that are 18X24.  it's much cheaper than a slab, and lighter weight.  you will have periodic grout lines, but natural stone doens't need to have as large of a space as say porcelain tile.

there are also kits for refacing a formica counter top with granite.  the countertops are left to provide a base for the "hollow" granite which weighs much less.  this is one (there are quite a few out there.)http://www.bathandgranite4less.com/kitchen-countertops/

We had that in our last home.  DH installed them.  He doesn't want them again.  I said I would be fine with them, but he said no.

one thought about a lighter weight granite - there are grainite "tiles" that are 18X24.  it's much cheaper than a slab, and lighter weight.  you will have periodic grout lines, but natural stone doens't need to have as large of a space as say porcelain tile.

there are also kits for refacing a formica counter top with granite.  the countertops are left to provide a base for the "hollow" granite which weighs much less.  this is one (there are quite a few out there.)http://www.bathandgranite4less.com/kitchen-countertops/