Menu

Toaster Oven, what do I want???

DawnM

I have had only a toaster oven ( no toaster ) for over 20 years.   My first two were Black and Decker toaster ovens.  They were great, until I got a convection /toaster oven.  Huge difference in quality.

I love my Cuisinart Convection oven. Bought it at Costco for 79.00 probably 5 years ago already.  It's wonderful.

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-TOB-155-Toaster-Broiler-Stainless/dp/B000PYISIW/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1387771190&sr=8-10&keywords=convection+toaster+oven

All of my 4 kiddoes have one now.  Different brands, but all have the toaster/convection features.  None of them have toasters.  Some leave them out all the time, some put them away until needed due to lack of counter space. Two of my kiddoes have different brands than Cusiinart, but I don't recall which ones they are.  All are happy with them.

Hmmmmmm……..so what can the convection oven do that the regular toaster oven can't?  Do I need a convection oven?

I have had only a toaster oven ( no toaster ) for over 20 years.   My first two were Black and Decker toaster ovens.  They were great, until I got a convection /toaster oven.  Huge difference in quality.

I love my Cuisinart Convection oven. Bought it at Costco for 79.00 probably 5 years ago already.  It's wonderful.

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-TOB-155-Toaster-Broiler-Stainless/dp/B000PYISIW/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1387771190&sr=8-10&keywords=convection+toaster+oven

All of my 4 kiddoes have one now.  Different brands, but all have the toaster/convection features.  None of them have toasters.  Some leave them out all the time, some put them away until needed due to lack of counter space. Two of my kiddoes have different brands than Cusiinart, but I don't recall which ones they are.  All are happy with them.

Convection oven blows the heat around so it cooks faster at a lower temperature. ( approximately 25 degrees lower and 25 % faster)  

8x8 pan of browinies in about 15 minutes.. 

They also are built stronger, sturdier etc than just the toaster ovens I had previously. 

I use it for a 2nd oven at Thanksgiving time especially.  I have many corning ware casseroles that fit in it as well as several baking pans.

Yes, we do, and it gets used. I like both sides of the bread toasted, and a toaster oven really doesn't do that unless you turn the slices over. Too much work just for toast. :D  We never use the toaster oven to make toast. or to toast any bread type product (bagels, English muffins, etc.)

I have an older (5 years or so) model Cuisinart convection toaster oven/broiler with "brick" oven. It has attached stones/bricks on the sides and a removable one on the bottom. I loved it at first, but I now have a full size convection oven and I resent the amount of counter space taken by the toaster oven. A search didn't pull it up, but it was a prize dh got for 25 years with his company (there were other choices, he wanted the toaster oven as much as I did). 

Anyway, I've been considering getting a smaller one. I thought about just getting rid of my current one and not replacing it, but I think a toaster oven is a wonderful small appliance for anyone with teenage boys. Ds probably uses more than anyone, and I appreciate the savings on electricity plus the fact that it doesn't heat up the whole kitchen like the oven would.

Yes, we do, and it gets used. I like both sides of the bread toasted, and a toaster oven really doesn't do that unless you turn the slices over. Too much work just for toast. :D  We never use the toaster oven to make toast. or to toast any bread type product (bagels, English muffins, etc.)

Mine has settings for Bagels, english muffins, etc, so it toasts longer. Yes sometimes I have to flip the toast, but it's usually because I have 4-6 slices  going at one time.  I figure the time I have to spend flipping them offsets the time it would take to toast them in batches.

I, but I think a toaster oven is a wonderful small appliance for anyone with teenage boys.

Yes, my sons used it for pizza frequently.

Ds probably uses more than anyone, and I appreciate the savings on electricity plus the fact that it doesn't heat up the whole kitchen like the oven would.

Yes, this!

I have a Breville that my dh got me a few years ago from Sur la Table.  Did you check what Williams-Sonoma is selling?  They have a 20% off coupon floating (from the emails I get), but it might end soon.  I don't think the brand is so important, but I REALLY like the electronic timer and thermostat on mine.  You wouldn't think a timer would be so awesome handy, till you have one.  :)

I was eyeing those.  They have very high ratings, but honestly, I just don't want to spend that much on a small countertop oven, even with 20% off.

Dawn

I have a Breville that my dh got me a few years ago from Sur la Table.  Did you check what Williams-Sonoma is selling?  They have a 20% off coupon floating (from the emails I get), but it might end soon.  I don't think the brand is so important, but I REALLY like the electronic timer and thermostat on mine.  You wouldn't think a timer would be so awesome handy, till you have one.   :)

I got a Cuisinart Classic toaster oven, about $75, cheaper at Bed Bath Beyond with a coupon than at Amazon. I like the price, the size, and the fact that it toasts both sides of a piece of bread uniformly. My old de Longhi did not do that. It also has a bagel setting and a bunch of other features.

Size - not too big.

Another nice feature- removable crumb tray, so it is a snap to clean. No need to take the whole machine over to the sink.

I was eyeing those.  They have very high ratings, but honestly, I just don't want to spend that much on a small countertop oven, even with 20% off.

Dawn

Yeah, I hate to think what dh spent, lol.  On the other hand, we use ours every single day, sometimes multiple times a day.  The timer that is electronic (so it begins when the unit comes to temp and cuts the unit off at the ding) is SO handy.  If a less expensive unit has that, go for it.  And I assume you've figured this out, but having the interior height for small pots is nice.  Another little but nice thing, the Breville has magnets in the doors that catch the rack when you open the door, pulling it automatically open.  After you burn through a few oven mitts, you see that as a really nice feature.  :D

They run about $250.  They would have to come down to half price for me to consider!  Or a 2nd hand one.

Yeah, I hate to think what dh spent, lol.  On the other hand, we use ours every single day, sometimes multiple times a day.  The timer that is electronic (so it begins when the unit comes to temp and cuts the unit off at the ding) is SO handy.  If a less expensive unit has that, go for it.  And I assume you've figured this out, but having the interior height for small pots is nice.  Another little but nice thing, the Breville has magnets in the doors that catch the rack when you open the door, pulling it automatically open.  After you burn through a few oven mitts, you see that as a really nice feature.   :D

We've been married 19 years and we've only ever had a toaster oven, no toaster.

We have a pretty cheap black and decker convection one now and I like it. It's not terribly attractive but when it's not being used I cover it with a brown/grey towel that kind of blends in with my granite.

Toaster oven, no toaster. The biggest feature for me (we buy inexpensive ones, btw--as in $30 would be a substantial price point for me ;) ) was to have one that included a timed heat as well as just a temperature setting. The first one we had would reach the desired heat for one batch of toast, then had to cool off before you could toast again, if that makes sense. Very annoying. IIRC, it only had one knob, no timer. This one (which I got at a thrift store) has the setting based on time, so you can do multiple batches. We use it a lot to make toast (I like to toast mine pre-buttered which you can't do in a toaster), mini pizzas on English muffins, cheese toast, peanut butter toast, toasted sandwiches, bagels, etc. I used to have a small Pampered Chef stoneware bar pan that fit in it, but my husband used it to do some crafts on and now I won't use it for food because I worry it's not safe. Think about how many slices of toast or sandwiches you may want at a time when considering size. I think mine will do 6.

I love my infrared toaster oven. :)  It heats instantly and does a great job on roasted veggies from unshucked corn to potatoes tossed in olive oil. Baked potatoes too. The only negative is that it's on the small side.

ETA: It also does a more than capable job as a toaster.

They do make a smaller one for $150.  Is that the one you were looking at?  It wont' hold as much, but would fit better on my countertop.

I was looking at a breville that was 150 and you could get 20% off. I wasn't concerned about the convection feature though. Mil grandma actually gave me her old black and decker she never used and so now I can't splurge!

Ok, DH and I went to BBB today to look at toaster ovens.   He went right to the Breville and he compared all the rest of the toaster ovens to the Breville.

We got the Breville.  :laugh:

We did have a 20% off coupon.

He seemed quite excited that it could cook two 9" pizzas at once!  :w00t:

I have had only a toaster oven ( no toaster ) for over 20 years. My first two were Black and Decker toaster ovens. They were great, until I got a convection /toaster oven. Huge difference in quality.

I love my Cuisinart Convection oven. Bought it at Costco for 79.00 probably 5 years ago already. It's wonderful.

I could have written this post. :) We use our Cuisinart every day for toasting bagels, reheating food, making mini pizzas, etc. No need for a separate toaster. If you take out the pan and just use the rack, both sides of bread get toasted.

We have an Oster that we bought at Costco....oh, 7 years ago or so? We use it every day. We don't have another toaster. We don't have a microwave either. 

I love it. We use it for toast, to reheat leftovers, to melt butter... basically for anything we would use a microwave or toaster for, and anything small that's not worth heating the oven for.

Which one? And then you need to update when you've used it!

Ok, DH and I went to BBB today to look at toaster ovens. He went right to the Breville and he compared all the rest of the toaster ovens to the Breville.

We got the Breville. :laugh:

We did have a 20% off coupon.

He seemed quite excited that it could cook two 9" pizzas at once! :w00t:

What brand is your ir oven?

I love my infrared toaster oven. :) It heats instantly and does a great job on roasted veggies from unshucked corn to potatoes tossed in olive oil. Baked potatoes too. The only negative is that it's on the small side.

ETA: It also does a more than capable job as a toaster.