Menu

Best Sites for Learning to Code

I have a son who has expressed an interest in learning to code.  I know there are many sites out there, most of them free, but knowing nothing at all about them I wondered if you all could offer your suggestions for the best ones to check out.  We want clear instruction, not just random stuff.  If your child (or you) has used a site they found particularly helpful, would you mind sharing it with me?  Thanks!

Try codeacademy. com  it teaches diff languages for free.

Go to coursera .com and type in "CS 101" for a free class from a Stanford prof - my dd 13 is doing it and loving it.  It's made to be 6 weeks, but you can go at your own pace.  Jr high/highschool.  Really great!

Khan academy has a computer science course for free - dd just started it.  Lots of lessons.

Both my dds loved Tynker.  it's 50 bucks per person - but a great starting point.  Mid-upper elementary/jr high. 15 lessons and the opportunity to build fun apps.

For her birthday, I just bought Mod 1 from homeschool buyers co-op. 135 dollars.  but it lets her create things she can then slip into her Minecraft game.

She's gonna freak out!

Another vote for code academy — plus I just wanted to wish you and your beautiful family the happiest of Christmases, Cyndi. I visit your blog from time to time and you and your kids inspire me so much! You are an amazing mom and teacher. I hope you all have a truly wonderful Christmas and New Year!

:grouphug:

Jackie

Go to coursera .com and type in "CS 101" for a free class from a Stanford prof - my dd 13 is doing it and loving it.  It's made to be 6 weeks, but you can go at your own pace.  Jr high/highschool.  Really great!

This was a great intro course for my boys.  They went on to AP Comp Sci (at the public high school) afterwards.

Here is an online AP Comp Sci class (Java based).  AFAIK it is free, but we haven't actually used it. 

https://users-mooc.amplify.com/

Code what?  If you can be more specific, someone here, possibly me, might be able to give you better suggestions. Learn how to code "C"?  Learn how to write HTML? PHP? What is the objective?

IMHO, it would be great, if the person is interested, to begin learning something like the Linux Operating System, and/or C++.   Linux has a long learning curve and after awhile, it makes more sense.  :-)

I remember when I was thinking about learning how to work with HTML (I use Microsoft FrontPage 2000 for our web sites, which is very long in the tooth), there was a web site with a lot of great courses. Free courses I think.  I am going to Google "Free HTML Course" and see if I can come up with the URL for you. Here it is: http://www.w3schools.com/    Note: I believe their courses are free, but you need to verify that.

If that's not free, or not what you are looking for, let us know...

ETA: Someone who knows Linux and/or C++ can earn $$$.

...plus I just wanted to wish you and your beautiful family the happiest of Christmases, Cyndi. I visit your blog from time to time and you and your kids inspire me so much! You are an amazing mom and teacher. I hope you all have a truly wonderful Christmas and New Year!

Jackie

Seconding this...I love your blog, Cyndi! Your family sounds so sweet--all the best to all of you.

Another vote for code academy — plus I just wanted to wish you and your beautiful family the happiest of Christmases, Cyndi. I visit your blog from time to time and you and your kids inspire me so much! You are an amazing mom and teacher. I hope you all have a truly wonderful Christmas and New Year!

Jackie

Jackie,

What a sweet thing to post.  Thank you for your kinds words, and your suggestion about Code Academy!  I thought it was just Matt who wanted to code, but everyone seems to want to try it out, so we might have a couple of evenings a week where w all try it out!

Merry Christmas to you as well :-)

Seconding this...I love your blog, Cyndi! Your family sounds so sweet--all the best to all of you.

And I obviously didn't scroll down low enough to say thanks a second time!

Had no idea I had any blog readers here :-) Warms my cotton pickin' little heart!

Just one thing about Codeacademy - I wouldn't suggest learning Python through it - they are still on the old version of Python (Python 2.7) while the latest is 3.3 and there are quite a few differences in syntax. I don't have experience with the rest of the languages they cover, but I wouldn't use them to learn Python

For those of you who have used codeacademy - I am interested to know if by the end your children could write whole programs by themselves. I tried it out - but as I already knew how to program I couldn't tell how easy it would be to "go it alone" afterwards. The method of teaching is quite different and I have been intrigued to know if it would work. I also tried a Coursera course and felt that that one started at an odd place without laying any foundation (this is not an issue with codeacademy). I have been teaching live programming classes and am just now transitioning to online ones and trying to work out what works and what doesn't.