Menu

Gluten free, dairy free, nut free Thanksgiving recipes?

Spryte

Anyone want to share tried and true recipes?  We are wheat free, dairy free, tree nut and peanut free, sesame free.  A few other not-so-common allergies, too.  

This is our first year adding dairy-free to our list, and I'm struggling with replacing some of the favorites here.

We are limited in our dairy substitutes.  The only safe (not cross contaminated with other allergens) option I've found is canned coconut milk.  So far, the rice milk and soy milk companies I've contacted say that there is a chance of trace amounts.  Blech.  But DS doesn't love coconut milk in many recipes - he says he can taste it.

It would be great to get some ideas here!

Not tried and true, but I am making this stuffing recipe today (http://www.cooks.com/recipe/tu9al5vk/homemade-stove-top-stuffing.html), using Udi's bread ends and Earth Balance for the butter. We're only gluten and dairy free, so I don't know if those are safe for you or not.

Instead of pumpkin pie, I'm making "pumpkin fluff", using canned pumpkin and marshmallow fluff. The dairy people are adding whipped cream. I'm not brave enough to try the whipped coconut milk substitute. I hate coconut.

I'm making egg noodles with King Arthur GF flour. I think the cake and pancake mixes are nut free, unsure about the all purpose flour.

We're having Thanksgiving tonight, so I'll see how these turn out.

The dairy subs can be hard.  Have you looked in to hemp milk?  I've used that at times.  I've started using broth sometimes in mashed potatoes.  And extra of whatever fat your are using to make it creamier.  Coconut milk works well in pumpkin pie, though!  Gravy you can also do with just broth.  I try to just do a lot of dairy-free recipes.  I do plain steamed or sauteed or roasted veggies.  Do you have a safe margarine or spread?  I have used this recipe for vegan butter, which works really well in recipes, but it calls for soy milk. I used hemp milk as a sub and that was ok.  

can you be more specific on what kinds of dishes you are looking for?  Stuffing?  PIes?  what?

We are dairy, egg, and peanut free at our house, so that's where I am coming from.  I am not familiar with wheat allergies, so I apologize if these won't work for you:

Chicken broth is a great substitute for milk in mashed potatoes.

For pumpkin pie, we buy a storebought graham cracker crust (I guess that might be a wheat problem?), and a can of Libby's Ready Made Pumpkin Pie Mix.  We don't add anything to it, just dump it in the pan and bake.  I believe I've heard of crusts being made with Rice Krispies ground up?

Earth Balance is a great butter substitute that tastes good and bakes well.  They have tubs and sticks.

We make a white gravy for green bean casserole instead of cream of mushroom soup.  Just a straight white sauce recipe.  Perhaps you could use cornstarch as your thickener?  

HTH

We are having this vegan curry carrot soup.  It's nice with the low fat coconut milk, and even better with the full fat one.  The cilantro is lovely if you aren't a cilantro-tastes-like-soap person.  
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/vegan-carrot-curry-soup/  

I have made pumpkin pie with Earth Balance instead of butter in the crust, and coconut milk instead of cream or evaporated milk in the filling.  You could skip the crust and just be sure to grease the pan first.

We have a mini vegan feast as a subset of our traditional feast, for the special diet folks in our large crowd.  After doing it for a few years, we've found that it's better to make nice harvest/seasonal dishes rather than trying to replicate the traditional dishes with substitutions.  For example, the soup above is delish, and would fit in well with a harvest themed feast, even though it's not traditional turkey-stuffing-gravy-potatoes-greenbeans type food.

I agree with Empress Bee- I don't spend a lot of time trying to find recipes that pretend to be something else that we used to eat.  My kids are more snobby about how things should taste if I do that.  On the other hand new recipes are generally successful.

My kids loved this recipe for turnip green pesto- we ate it warm with celery, as a dip.  My 5 yo gobbled it up.  You can omit the parmesan instead of buying a pricey parmesan substitute.  http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/turnip-green-pesto-50400000131329/

A side of Roasted veggies of any sort- like cauliflower tossed with cherry tomatoes and sliced shallots, drizzled with olive oil, salt and pepper and then roasted for about 40 min. at 400 degrees.  O.k.- so my younger kids didn't love this but my older ones did and I personally gobbled it up.  The shallots instead of onions really made an interesting taste difference.  Plus it was really pretty. 

Thanks for all the great ideas!  I don't have anything in particular in mind (yes, I'm behind on planning), so all of this is helpful.

I'd love to hear how it all turned out, BarbecueMom.  :)

Oh, and yes, So Delicious is one that wrote back to be that there may be Xcontamination risk with some of DS's allergens.  But we are exploring other options.  It's a slow process.  

Thinking I might be putting a SoyaJoy machine on my Santa list!  

Strangely, I asked DS what he'd like most for Thanksgiving, and none of his requests really have dairy - except for pumpkin pie, which is manageable.  So it may be that I just wing it with what he's requested, and we're good to go.  We are going out of town, so I really only need to make food for DS (we pack his food to take to the family gathering).  

Thanks, all!

The noodles were AMAZING! I mixed 3 egg yolks, 1 1/2 T each of water and oil, and two pinches of salt in a bowl. Added about 1 c. of the gluten-free all purpose flour, then more water until it was a barely held together ball (about 4 T total). Rolled it out with cornstarch, cut the noodles, then cooked them for about 20 minutes in chicken broth. I wanted to cry at how good they were. I see beef stroganoff in my future.

The stuffing was good EXCEPT I used turkey stock instead of water and added a salt. It was too salty. Next time I'd follow the recipe mostly as is (I subbed poultry seasoning for marjoram), and just use stock.

Pumpkin fluff was good. It was like a crustless pie in a parfait dish. Would have been better with the whipped cream and nutmeg (couldn't have the dairy and no one in my family likes nutmeg), but it worked.

The only thing that turned out terrible was the store-bought GF rolls. Usually I do those myself, but I haven't had a working oven for several months.

I haven't tried any of these recipes yet, but I've gotten ideas from the Autoimmune Paleo website.  http://autoimmune-paleo.com 

None of the recipes have dairy, eggs, grains, nuts, seeds, legumes, or nightshades.  She recently posted a pumpkin spice cake recipe that is coconut free and it looks delicious.  (I think it looks more like a pie than a cake, so that is what I am making this year!)

Thanks for all the great ideas!  I don't have anything in particular in mind (yes, I'm behind on planning), so all of this is helpful.

I'd love to hear how it all turned out, BarbecueMom.   :)

Oh, and yes, So Delicious is one that wrote back to be that there may be Xcontamination risk with some of DS's allergens.  But we are exploring other options.  It's a slow process.  

Thinking I might be putting a SoyaJoy machine on my Santa list!  

Strangely, I asked DS what he'd like most for Thanksgiving, and none of his requests really have dairy - except for pumpkin pie, which is manageable.  So it may be that I just wing it with what he's requested, and we're good to go.  We are going out of town, so I really only need to make food for DS (we pack his food to take to the family gathering).  

Thanks, all!

Here's my version of Pumpkin Pie, which Southern Living called "Pumpkin Pie Supreme" in its original form. It's lighter than typical pumpkin pie.

I *really* dislike coconut flavored baked goods, so when I say it doesn't taste like coconut, I mean it. ;) IMHO, I wouldn't tell your son it has coconut milk in it. Wait to see if he notices. You could also sub with hemp milk or half hemp half coconut milk.

Make a crust using crushed GFCF vanilla sandwich cookies ("K-toos" or similar), mixed with a couple of tablespoons of melted Earth Balance. Line the pan with the mixture, bake it for about 10 minutes, let it cool, then fill with pumpkin mixture.

Filling:

2 eggs; separated 

1 envelope unflavored gelatin

1/2 c dark brown sugar; firmly packed

1/4 c cold water

1/2 c sugar

1 can pumpkin

3/4 c coconut milk 

1/2 tsp salt 

1/2 tsp ground cinnamon 

1/2 tsp ground nutmeg 

1/4 tsp ground ginger 

Beat egg yolks until thick and lemon colored. Gradually add brown

sugar, beating until thick. Add pumpkin, coconut milk, salt, 1/2 teaspoon

cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger, stirring well.

Pour pumpkin mixture into top of double boiler; bring water to a

boil. Cook over water until mixture is thickened. Soften gelatin in

cold water; add to pumpkin, stirring well. Set mixture aside to cool.

Beat egg whites (at room temperature) until foamy. Gradually add

1/2 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks

form. Beat in vanilla. Fold egg whites into pumpkin mixture. Pour

filling into pastry shell. Chill.

BarbecueMom, I am totally stealing your menu.  Yum.

And Lisa in Jax, that sounds fabulous.  Why, why, why have I never thought of using K-Toos in that way??  Genius.  Thank you.  We're going to try that, too, DS is excited.

Thanks everyone! These are all great ideas, I'm checking out the website posted above, too.  Yum.