Menu

Tornadoes in November in Illinois

Only me

My daughter sent me a text at 11. They were in the tornado shelter in her dorm in Peoria A few tornados touched down within 10 miles of her. Thankful she is ok. We are in Chicago suburbs. They are evacuating Soldiers Field and moving people inside the concourses. Strange weather. Everyone in this area keep safe!

Just found out that the tornado went right over the church she usually goes to. Many cars were damaged but everyone is ok. Glad she didn't go today.

One cell went just north of us, and a supercell with a large tornado was 10 minutes south from my house.  We were *just* in between them, so we were very lucky.  Now, tornadoes aren't entirely out there for IL in November, but this was a particularly large and widespread storm.  I can't remember one that stretched that far and that long over the state. I mean top to bottom-Milwaukee, WI down to Paducah, KY. Tornadoes in Peoria, Chicago, Marion, Bone Gap, Centralia, Champaign (right outside), Shelbyville area, etc.  Everywhere.  It's been nuts.

Yep, this weather has been bizarre.  Dh picked up my nephew from the train in Joliet and they were commenting on how black the sky had become.   We were watching the Bears game (actually watching them evacuate the Bears game)  My friend's son in college in Peoria has reported back that he is OK.   Several of dh's cousins were in the path as one was spotted in their town.  He has been checking FB all afternoon to see that everyone is OK. Praying for all those who were hit!

I go to church in Washington, IL. Our congregation was huddled in the church basement. My friend and I were in a bathroom with the children singing every Sunday school song we could think of. The tornado was less than a mile from our church. Afterwards my friend discovered her home was destroyed. At least 5 families in our church of 150 people lost their home, maybe more. Several more had significant damage.

We stayed at church for quite a while. We had a potluck scheduled anyway. Some of the families whose homes were destroyed sought shelter and food at church. My girls were the more useful than I, playing with the kids who have no homes right now, and distracting them.

I just hugged my friend, and helped her think about what you do next when your home and your neighborhood are leveled.

We live several miles away and our home is fine, we even have power. But we all feel a bit traumatized. The girls know their friends don't have homes tonight. They heard the sirens for hours, saw the fear of the adults as we hid under tables/in bathrooms in the church basement. As far as we know all of our friends/acquaintances are safe and have a place to sleep tonight.

We just prayed that everyone would have a good nice sleep. I hope I do. My brain is fried and I recently spent 30 minutes trying to explain insurance to my contemplative 6 y/o who is concerned about her friends.

I am in Southern IL right by New Minden where 2 died. Its a bad scene. The 2 that passed away took a direct hit by an EF4. Their house is completely gone and they were found away from where their house was and covered in debris. A bunch of other houses were leveled but everyone is now accounted for.