Menu

Doctor Who: Help me prepare for the anniversary episode

MeaganS

Spoilers are probably going to happen in this thread, just so you know.  Consider yourself warned. :)

In preparation for the anniversary episode in a few weeks, I want to go back and rewatch some episodes and was wondering if my fellow whovians could help me come up with a playlist of sorts.  I want to be fresh on all the important topics relevant to this episode.  Here's what I'm thinking so far:

"Rose" (first episode of the series)

"Stolen Earth" & "Journey's End" (The Doctor Donna, also the last one with Rose)

"End of Time" 1&2 (the one with the Master, other Timelords, and when Tenant regenerates)

"Eleventh Hour" (first with Matt Smith)

"Pandorica Opens" & "Big Bang" (not sure if this one will be relevant, but dh thinks it might be)

"Asylum of the Daleks" (first with Clara)

"The Snowmen" (Christmas special with Clara)

"Bells of St. John" (first with Clara as a companion)

"The Name of the Doctor" (last episode aired)

Are there any that you think might be important?  I feel like there was an episode where we learned a lot about the time war, but I can't remember which one it is.  I think it might have be the End of Time, but I'm not sure.  As I suspect the anniversary special is about the time war, I'd like to rewatch it if I can.  I sort of themed these by ones that have to do heavily with Rose and Tenant as they are both in the special, as well as Clara and Matt Smith's doctor.

I plan to rewatch the episodes that include Doctor-Donna and the other 10th Doctor who ended up with Rose, as I'm assuming he's the one who will be in the anniversary special rather than the real 10th Doctor.

Did you watch the trailer? You hear someone (John Hurt?) say, "I'm looking for The Doctor" then you see Ten and Eleven standing together. Ten says, "well, you came to the right place."

So, is Ten 2 The Doctor? I am not sure he is. So, it doesn't seem like he could be The Doctor 10 in the special? Just a thought.

We have an exchange student this year that we were going to try go "get up to speed" on Dr. Who before the anniversary special -  I was just thinking of making just such a short list!   We'll probably add in a few more from Dr's 9 and 10 - off of the top of my head, definitely Empty Child and Doctor Dances, at least a few more with Donna (I just love Donna)... I need to look at the list and ponder. :)

There have been other 'special' episodes where multiple doctors came together to deal with an issue.  I think I've seen two very old ones, and in those, the timelords had arranged to break the rules and allow the doctor to cross his own timeline.  At least one of them, there was some other crisis and no one else could have helped.  So I dont think its going to be Doctor Two, as my 10 yo dubbed him.  Remember, they have jumped in to the doctors timestream.  We last saw Clara interacting with every past version of the doctor.  

Idk, my kids havent seen season 7 at all, because its not on netflix.  I have a website i watched it on (and a lot of old ones), but it cant stream to the TV.  We'll probably buy all of season 7 if its not on netflix by xmas, and then buy the special.  My teen is going to watch it at someone's house (who has cable, obviously lol we dont).  I'm mostly working on my patience . . . 

I dont know why you think it makes more sense to have the 'other' doctor when, in the history of doctor who, there have been MULTIPLE specials which included multiple doctors.  I mean, doctor who world logic is not the same as real world logic.  I think he's trying to give a nod to the full 50 years of Doctor Who history - this isnt just a celebration of the last 7 years.  Its a celebration of FIFTY years of television shows.  We saw clips of most of not all of the 12 doctors in that last episode. 

From the trailer it looks like Rose has gone all Bad Wolf again, so you might want to watch the last two of the first series - "Bad Wolf" and "Parting of the Ways".

I think this is a post-"Waters of Mars" Ten, but I have my doubts that Moffat has written him to be nearly insane like he was at that point.

ETA: I am very glad that it doesn't appear to be the Metacrisis Doctor. The benefit of him and Rose being locked away in another universe is that Moffat can't mess with them.

The last episodes of Season 4. 

Blink, just cause it is good and classic Dr. Who

Silence in the Library (part 1 of 2) and Forrest of the Dead (part 2 of 2) explains River Song meeting the Doc.

The Hungry Earth and its sequel explain Rory's death

Christmas Invasion explains David Tennant

The last episodes of Season 4.

Blink, just cause it is good and classic Dr. Who

Silence in the Library (part 1 of 2) and Forrest of the Dead (part 2 of 2) explains River Song meeting the Doc.

The Hungry Earth and its sequel explain Rory's death

Christmas Invasion explains David Tennant

Is River Song supposed to be in the 50th? I haven't seen her around in any of the previews our promotional stuff, so I'm thinking not. Also, I'm guessing Amy and Rory aren't as well. Does anyone know otherwise?

I second "Bad Wolf" and "Parting of the Ways".  The official promo shows a sign that says Bad Wolf so it'll tie in somehow.

I'd also add "Army of Ghosts" and "Doomsday" since they involve the Daleks that escaped the Time War in the Genesis Ark and void ship.

I'm pretty sure they're using some sort of predestination paradox to allow the different Doctors to cross their own time streams.  And no, River is not in the special unless they brought her in at the last minute and managed to keep it very much a secret.

Thought I'd share this as well. On November 4, 2013, the BBC released the official synopsis: "The Doctors embark on their greatest adventure in this 50th anniversary special. In 2013, something terrible is awakening in London’s National Gallery; in 1562, a murderous plot is afoot in Elizabethan England; and somewhere in space an ancient battle reaches its devastating conclusion. All of reality is at stake as the Doctor’s own dangerous past comes back to haunt him."