Menu

Do you have a vocab program that you love??

We used Wordly Wise 3000 for several years and Dd liked it.  I liked the daily bits of application and the use of the words in an essay with some basic composition questions as the final step for each word list.  It didn't take very much time out of the day and it did the trick of having her practice using (spelling) the words in context. 

We use WW too. I know a lot of people dislike it as busy work, but ds has never gotten less than 99th percentile in vocabulary on a standardized test. The things I like about it are the questions in similar formats to what you find in standardized tests and the reading comprehension questions in each chapter. My kids needed these and have benefitted enormously from them.

The best way to study vocab is in context of reading, but that isn't nearly as easy. WW is as easy to implement as you can get. :)

We used the workbooks.  Dd was already strong in vocabulary, it was more about focusing her attention on spelling and word analysis for us.  (Also as Mom2N's noted the format keeps that standardized test thing in the mix)  I am not familiar with the elementary or middle school levels.  Dd did the high school ones in middle school.

The online thing is new and last I looked, I couldn't figure out pricing for an individual, only schools. We still use workbooks. If you figure out the online thing, please update us. I know my kids would prefer it.

I haven't tried it, but you can buy an individual subscription for the online version of Wordly Wise currently for around $40 through Homeschool Buyers Co-op.

https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/Wordly-Wise-3000-Online

The online thing is new and last I looked, I couldn't figure out pricing for an individual, only schools. We still use workbooks. If you figure out the online thing, please update us. I know my kids would prefer it.

Looking on here to find some answers for a friend and wanted to let you know you can get a single student for $40 at homeschoolbuyersco-op here.

Then there is a discount for each additional student. HTH someone ;)

Looking on here to find some answers for a friend and wanted to let you know you can get a single student for $40 at homeschoolbuyersco-op here.

Then there is a discount for each additional student. HTH someone ;)

I just went and looked. This is a one year SCHOOL license you get access to all the levels for a year. If you have several kids this could be a great deal. I would want to confirm that you can use more than one level simultaneously.

I just went and looked. This is a one year SCHOOL license you get access to all the levels for a year. If you have several kids this could be a great deal. I would want to confirm that you can use more than one level simultaneously.

Double check, but I think it is per child and the "school" part means that you get access to the same reports, etc as a teacher would. (but adding a 2nd child is cheaper).

And my understanding is you do get all levels, so if one level seems to hard then you can change to another level in mid stream. The same company does ETC online and you do get all levels so you can assign your child as needed to do different sections.

How do you use the MCT vocab?

For the high school level books, we do most of the work orally - there's no "workbook".

First we go over the list of stems.  I read all of the words associated with the stem and have them guess what it means and what language it's from (this is easier than it sounds).  If they don't get it, then I tell them. :)

Then there are lots of other activities.  We read and discuss and analyze how the roots are used in different words and how we can deconstruct them to learn their meaning.  We do the "mystery spelling" where they spell complicated words by thinking of the meaning of their stems.  We puzzle out the analogies. 

They do Quizlet on their own to help with retention, and then at the end there's a quiz and on to the next list.  All the quizzes are cumulative, so retention is fantastic.

Double check, but I think it is per child and the "school" part means that you get access to the same reports, etc as a teacher would. (but adding a 2nd child is cheaper).

You are right. It is 29.95 for each additional student. Compared to $10 workbooks, thats a bit pricey. Their price for schools is $15/student but with a minimum purchase of 25. If Homeschool buyers coop could get that deal for us, I'd be all over it!

We started WordBuild Elements this year, and I like it for my dd12.  The worksheets are somewhat fun (puzzle like), and she's learning roots and prefixes/suffixes.  Its not totally independent like some workbooks (though my daughter has offered to just read the teacher manual herself.)  We haven't used it long enough to know how much is "sticking", but I feel the emphasis on roots/prefixes/suffixes has been helping her sound out words (mild dyslexia) as well as vocab. I would like to see more review, though...should be easy enough to add, but I haven't taken the time.  There's supposed to be bingo games and such on their website, but I can't access it as a homeschooler (as far as I can tell.)  Overall, we're quite happy with it, though.  Even dd12 has commented that she's learning from it.   We also purchased Words and Their Stories to use online as a supplement...she doesn't like that much. (That's not to say it isn't a good program, just that it didn't work with this child.)

We started last year with 1100 Words You Need to Know, she whizzed through it and really enjoyed it.  No parent involvement.  We made a game of it, when she could use one of her vocabulary words in a sentence in general conversation, she could get a chocolate out of the jar.  We quit doing that, but she still uses new words and then says, "I should get a chocolate for that word!"

Using the words in conversation is great for her to retain the information.

This year she is doing Vocabulary Cartoons for SAT, and occasionally root word flashcards.