Menu

how clothes fit and aging.....

HollyDay

My jeans and pants just don't fit as well as they used to.  I've lost weight, about 10 lbs and they do fit better, but still not like they did.  I should say, I'm back down to the weight I should be. In fact, a bit lower then when I bought these jeans/pants a couple years ago.  These pants/jeans "should" fit.  We live in an area that doesn't have a lot of "jeans weather" so these clothes are still in great shape.  I think the oldest pair of jeans is about 8 years old and the pants are about 3 years old.  And they are too tight.

I'm also 51.  Cycles are getting further and further apart.  I'm on topical progesterone.  I still exercise regularly. So, how much of this is "just" the aging process?   Gravity taking over?  I've never worn anything like Spanx or other "tummy control" under garment.  Is now the time to purchase such a thing? And if so, which one? 

Size up pants looks sloppy.  My size feels too tight.  How do I solve this problem?

Buy new pants that fit with your body shape?

Honestly, I have told so many first time moms not to try to wear their old jeans when they're back to pre-pregnancy weight. Their body shape has changed and they just don't fit the same.

I think the same applies here.

I would go out and try some new pants and jeans that will fit and flatter your body shape and weight now.  Shapers make me feel squeezed and uncomfortable, but you might find something that works for you.  My body has changed a bit over time and I find things that looked great a few years ago no longer work for me, even if they do fit.

Usually when a woman is unhappy with her body despite losing weight and reaching her goal weight, or previous weight, the problem is body composition, the ratio of body fat to muscle mass.  As you age you lose muscle mass unless you do weight bearing exercises to combat that loss.  What do you do for exercise and do you go to a gym?  I suggest adding some strength building exercises and if you do them already then maybe you should change up your routine.  

yes, I do some strength training as well as Pilates and "power" walking. 

I went to 4 clothing stores yesterday and tried on pants of various manufactors in various sizes.  10 was tight, 12 was sloppy.  In some cases 8 was tight 10 was sloppy.  I tried on various cuts: relaxed, straight, at the waist, below the waist, comfort waist, curvy, "figure flattering", "slimming", etc., etc., etc.  It is frustrating!!

Have you measured yourself? It may be that you're holding more weight in your mid-section (instead of your hips or butt or other places like you once did). 

It's harder to find 'straight' jeans. Target has some. Levis is now making a jean for women with fewer curves. 

I'm not saying this is your problem, but as a life-long apple shape I can tell you it's a difficult fit problem and most stores don't have a solution. 

I had to alter my jeans drastically after I had kids, and then again just in the last few years (at about age 38-ish).  I weigh what I weighed in high school, and as far as fat vs muscle, I'm the same as I was then - but things just move south, I guess, lol. 

I did fine a new jean that fit great, and made sure they were the stretchy denim (that makes a huge difference in fit for me).

For my shape, mid to low rise, well fitted, boot cut worked the best.

Use the jeans you have for outdoor work, camping, painting, etc., and treat yourself to some new pants :)

Also - I've found that going one size up (so - if you're a 6, you'd go to a 7, etc.) from my misses size in the juniors made a better fit for me (whereas misses size just looked wrong in all the wrong places...), so you may want to try on junior jeans.  It can be hard to find pairs that aren't -well - too young, but I managed :)

Branch out in what you think you like.  If you've never tried a lower rise or a wider leg, you may be surprised at how much more they flatter a body.  I look 100 times better in a flared leg and mid rise pant than I do in straight and high waist.

Also - I've found that going one size up (so - if you're a 6, you'd go to a 7, etc.) from my misses size in the juniors made a better fit for me (whereas misses size just looked wrong in all the wrong places...), so you may want to try on junior jeans.  It can be hard to find pairs that aren't -well - too young, but I managed :)

FWIW, I found exactly the same thing. I'm in my 50s & at my desired weight with a straightish figure. Tried on lots of types of misses jeans, but none looked right on me. One day, I was shopping with dd in juniors & tried on some jeans to kill time. I found that I had great success going one size up (10 to 11). Yes, it's hard sometimes to find styles that don't look too young, but they do exist. :001_smile:

You really need to try on a lot of different brands to find what fits.  Eddie Bauer currently has 3 (I think) different fits, Curvy, Slightly Curvy, and Straight.  And the jeans and pants are not low cut.  You can also try the jeans at  the higher end stores, like Dillards or Macy's.  They tend to have a better fit.  

Don't give up.  You'll find something that works.  

There is also the jeans with stretch in them, which helps a lot.

Trying on clothes is a nightmare, but you may want to keep trying. When you find something that fits, buy extra. I had to change my go to brand of jeans a few years ago and in the end the effort was worth the fuss.

This is a lesson I'm teaching to DD12 nowadays. She has hit puberty and her body shape is changing, so she can no longer just buy the next size up. Additionally, she is into adult sizes now, where there is a lot more variability of shape in the clothing. She is learning that it takes a LOT of trying on to find stuff that works for her.

And yes, if you find something that fits buy as much as you can afford if your weight and shape have settled for a while. Fashions change and most women's clothes makers won't leave a good thing alone -- they change them. What is available now won't be in a few months, and won't necessarily be back next year. There are few exceptions; Gloria Vanderbilt's Amanda line is one exception -- it works for DH's grandmother. It didn't work for me until recently, but now that it does I can at least find jeans that are reasonable.

:iagree: I've made the mistake of thinking, I'll go back later and buy a few pairs of this perfect pair; only I find they are now so different in fit or not available.

This is a lesson I'm teaching to DD12 nowadays. She has hit puberty and her body shape is changing, so she can no longer just buy the next size up. Additionally, she is into adult sizes now, where there is a lot more variability of shape in the clothing. She is learning that it takes a LOT of trying on to find stuff that works for her.

And yes, if you find something that fits buy as much as you can afford if your weight and shape have settled for a while. Fashions change and most women's clothes makers won't leave a good thing alone -- they change them. What is available now won't be in a few months, and won't necessarily be back next year. There are few exceptions; Gloria Vanderbilt's Amanda line is one exception -- it works for DH's grandmother. It didn't work for me until recently, but now that it does I can at least find jeans that are reasonable.

You really need to try on a lot of different brands to find what fits.  Eddie Bauer currently has 3 (I think) different fits, Curvy, Slightly Curvy, and Straight.  And the jeans and pants are not low cut.  You can also try the jeans at  the higher end stores, like Dillards or Macy's.  They tend to have a better fit.  

Don't give up.  You'll find something that works.  

There is also the jeans with stretch in them, which helps a lot.

And Boyfriend. I was quite surprised to find that these are the ones that fit me. I've been able to get them at pretty good prices by using sales and their friendship/membership card with discounts at certain times. 

I had to alter my jeans drastically after I had kids, and then again just in the last few years (at about age 38-ish). I weigh what I weighed in high school, and as far as fat vs muscle, I'm the same as I was then - but things just move south, I guess, lol.

I did fine a new jean that fit great, and made sure they were the stretchy denim (that makes a huge difference in fit for me).

For my shape, mid to low rise, well fitted, boot cut worked the best.

Use the jeans you have for outdoor work, camping, painting, etc., and treat yourself to some new pants :)

Also - I've found that going one size up (so - if you're a 6, you'd go to a 7, etc.) from my misses size in the juniors made a better fit for me (whereas misses size just looked wrong in all the wrong places...), so you may want to try on junior jeans. It can be hard to find pairs that aren't -well - too young, but I managed :)

Branch out in what you think you like. If you've never tried a lower rise or a wider leg, you may be surprised at how much more they flatter a body. I look 100 times better in a flared leg and mid rise pant than I do in straight and high waist.

I'm one of those people who DETEST low- and mid-rise (on me). They don't fit me well and the seam junctions end up right where my pressure points are. I'm much better with waistbands that come up to the belly button or just below. (Industry now calls the belly button height "above the waist", which it is not. The belly button is on the waist.) Two C-sections have left a scar that causes a bit of a sag. This sag looks just like a beer gut on a guy if the rise is too low. Additionally, I find most low- or mid-rise pants gap far too much in the back.

Try things on, lots of things. Include things you normally wouldn't try. Yes, it's a lot if work, and can get discouraging. I hate shopping for this very reason. But it's the only way to find what works for you.

If it has been that many years since you've bought jeans, I would guess that a big chunk of the problem is that jeans are cut differently than they used to be.  You are comparing modern jeans to old jeans.  Your body may well have changed, but so have jeans.  That doesn't help you find jeans you like, but I find it is easier to blame problems on clothing manufacturers than on my butt.  

I have a friend who swears by Not Your Daughter's Jeans, which I think are serious dollars (I think she gets them at Nordstrom), but they do look fabulous on her.  And hey, if you're only buying jeans every 8 years, you can afford to drop some cash on them!

If it has been that many years since you've bought jeans, I would guess that a big chunk of the problem is that jeans are cut differently than they used to be. You are comparing modern jeans to old jeans. Your body may well have changed, but so have jeans. That doesn't help you find jeans you like, but I find it is easier to blame problems on clothing manufacturers than on my butt.

Yes! I am at a very normal weight for my height, but the pants they make today don't fit me at all and it's the most frustrating experience. After the big dress thread over the summer I started wearing dresses and skirts and I am loving it! So easy and comfortable and I have zero desire to go on a search for pants this fall/winter. So I bought some cute and comfy boots to wear with with them. I do have my last year's jeans I can wear, but don't think I'll be trying for new this year.