Menu

Is there a using a walker to 1 mile program? ;)

Joanne

Today the regular staff is back and I will be doing "discharge planning". I am scared; I am not ready for being at home. I can shower with supervision and help. I can toilet by myself. I can brush my teeth.

But getting from sleep position to sitting up can take a LONG time. Walking from my hospital room to the first exit sign tires me deeply.

My family needs me, but I can't be there for them anyway. I mean, not functionally.

I remember when they wanted to discharge my husband after his accident.  I didn't think he was ready and I felt very afraid.  The PT and OT kept telling me that he would heal faster at home, but I was still concerned they were pushing him out the door too fast.  But, they were right.  That first 24hrs was a bit hard and he needed me there for assistence, but after that he became independent very quickly.  I hope and pray it will be the same for you.

Glad to see you smiling!

Perhaps they can send in a visiting nurse to help with that part.  And although I'm sure you want to be the mommy, this might be a time when you need to let your kids baby you for a bit. They are old enough.  You can be there for them in mind and spirit, offering wisdom and emotional support for their daily needs, but they can be there for you physically, help you get up before they go to school, and do more of the housework and cooking.  Consider it training them for when you move in with them in your old age. ;)

A recliner or a chair will be much easier to get out of than a bed. The people I know who have been in your situation returned to bed about three weeks after the accident, and then with pillows and careful body placement. In the first three weeks , they slept well in their recliners, which really helped with healing.It did take longer for those who had rib surgery.

Teens are great at helping out.

Great idea. I was wanting to dump my king anyway (bad mojo). I am working on getting 2 used (thrift store) recliners.

Joanne,

Ask to talk to a social worker about getting help at home.  Don't sign any discharge papers until you have had a chance to talk to a social worker.  Discharge should include some sort of home care until you are more mobile. Yes, you will heal better at home, but only if you can do the things that will help you get better.  I wish I lived nearby (I don't think 1000 miles qualifies.)  I would love to bless you with meals and visits to help you get to that 1 mile mark!

Discharge planning often starts days or even a week or so before someone is ready to go home medically/physically. A lot of times after an accident equipment needs to be ordered or assessment for home health will be made. Those things have to be approved by insurance or Medicare and then ordered/set up. It’s always easier to start earlier and then have everything ready when the patient and the doctor are ready for actual discharge than to have a doctor ready to discharge a patient and then a long list of equipment and other items that need to be coordinated that haven’t happened yet. 

All that to say, it doesn’t mean they are trying to send you home necessarily. It often just means they are trying to make sure that everything is ready for when you are ready to go.