Menu

whale

Melissa in Australia

My ds16 saw a whale at the beach today and rushed home to tell me as he knows I have only seen one other whale before. We go the lookout ( 5 minute walk from our house) and have a great view of the whale. it was sort of playing in the shallows and looked like it might have been a mother and a calf.  There were people in the water surfing who stopped and sat on their surfboards just enjoying the moment. It was so beautiful. 

Until some loony in a powerboat went out the river entrance and proceeded to circle around the whale at high speed and chased it away. :glare:  :cursing: . Some people are such morons   :cursing:  :glare:

People who mess with innocent animals (or children...) have a screw loose. I just don't get it. What thrill do you get by terrifying, torturing, harassing, etc. some animal that has no idea what is going on? It makes me sick to my stomach.

I'm assuming that this was an adult driving a boat. What do you do to neighbor boys who find it funny to throw a toad in the air to watch it splat on the ground? I was able to save the poor thing, but I just don't understand what drives someone to do something like this.

People who mess with innocent animals (or children...) have a screw loose. I just don't get it. What thrill do you get by terrifying, torturing, harassing, etc. some animal that has no idea what is going on? It makes me sick to my stomach.

What makes you assume they did it to mess with or torture the whales? I assumed they were clueless and wanted a better look, not being malicious.

Seeing a whale--how exciting! When I was in high school I saw dolphins at the beach. We were at a bay beach and the pod of about 20 actually swam into the bay and played for a bit before swimming away. I was actually in the water at the time so I was pretty close to them. It was awesome! Fortunately no motor boats anywhere nearby.

What makes you assume they did it to mess with or torture the whales? I assumed they were clueless and wanted a better look, not being malicious.

Word Nerd, I assumed they were "messing with the whales" based on the observations of the op. She said they were in a power boat and circling the whales at a high speed. I've been in boats. If I wanted a closer look, I wouldn't be going at a high speed. But maybe you are right. They were not malicious, just clueless since they didn't realize that to take a closer look, they would need to slow down.

Op, what a fun experience to share with your ds. Sorry it had to be cut short by people who didn't realize that speeding around in a circle around whales may frighten them away.

Is it possible that the whale was dangerously near to shallow water and needed to be "scared" into moving to a safer depth?

I don't know much about whales, but I've heard how terrible it is for them to get "beached" -- maybe they thought they were helping.

Is it possible that the whale was dangerously near to shallow water and needed to be "scared" into moving to a safer depth?

I don't know much about whales, but I've heard how terrible it is for them to get "beached" -- maybe they thought they were helping.

This was my thinking as well.

No there was no danger of that. whales go past this area pretty regularly.

It was just a  stupid yahoo in a boat.