Menu

If you use a brush to apply your liquid foundation make-up...

houseofkids&pets

I have always applied liquid foundation with my fingers.  A new Ulta store opened nearby and I ended up buying way too much stuff at their grand opening sale. One of my purchases was a new set of make-up brushes, including a brush for foundation.

The sales person told me to only brush in upward strokes when using it; otherwise, it will clog my pores. Is there any truth to this? Brushing up seems awkward to me. I want to brush it on in downward strokes, like I'm painting a wall :laugh: .

This is the school year that I will start taking care of myself. I am going to resume wearing make-up when I leave the house, I WILL exercise (um, I'll start that next week....maybe), and I will eat healthier. I just don't want to go to all of this effort and then end up with clogged pores.

Any opinions?

I have always applied liquid foundation with my fingers.  A new Ulta store opened nearby and I ended up buying way too much stuff at their grand opening sale. One of my purchases was a new set of make-up brushes, including a brush for foundation.

The sales person told me to only brush in upward strokes when using it; otherwise, it will clog my pores. Is there any truth to this? Brushing up seems awkward to me. I want to brush it on in downward strokes, like I'm painting a wall :laugh: .

This is the school year that I will start taking care of myself. I am going to resume wearing make-up when I leave the house, I WILL exercise (um, I'll start that next week....maybe), and I will eat healthier. I just don't want to go to all of this effort and then end up with clogged pores.

Any opinions?

I have never heard of applying liquid foundation with a brush. :confused1:

I do apply my Bare Minerals "foundation" with a brush. I used quotations because Bare Minerals doesn't call it "foundation," but it's what you put on your skin first. :-)

The reason you were told that is that your pores open downwards, and if you apply any make-up with an upward movement, yes, you're pushing it up into your pores. Whether or not that is bad...I don't know. We're usually advised to use upward motions when we put on our skin because somehow that upward motion is supposed to counteract the affects of gravity...but seriously? Can we really do that? Not likely, lol.

I *clean* with upward strokes, apply make-up with downward strokes...unless I'm using Bare Minerals, in which case it's with a kabuki brush for the "foundation," in a circular motion, and the mineral veil in a circular motion after the concealer, base coat, and blush. Liquid base I apply with my ring fingers, downward. No, it isn't logical. I'm not claiming to be logical, lol.

Even if your pores won't get clogged with your make-up, there's something else to consider: We have very fine soft hair on our faces, which grows downward. Using a downward motion on our faces keeps that fine hair smoothed downward, KWIM?

I purchased a brush to apply foundation several years ago - I hated it.  this is sort of what it looks like, long and flat. typical foundation brush. I went back to a sponge.

I just did a make-over at Lancôme, and I absolutely adore the brush she used to apply foundation - you use very little foundation.  It gives an air-brushed effect.  direction doesn't matter. she put a tiny bit on a lid, rubbed it around with her finger, then went over it with the brush making circle motions to load it.  then flipped the lip and made circles to get any excess off before using it on my face.

you can buy this at a beauty supply for lots less than Lancôme.

I bought a nice set of makeup brushes not too long ago and was totally baffled by the foundation brush.  I've always used those wedge sponges.  I can't imagine how you could put liquid foundation on with a brush and not look like you were wearing eighty pounds of makeup.

I'm pretty darn sure that the "foundation" brush is not supposed to be used with liquid foundation. That would be just messed up. o_0

I'm pretty darn sure that the "foundation" brush is not supposed to be used with liquid foundation. That would be just messed up. o_0

Yeah, my powder foundation brush and liquid foundation brush look nothing alike!

Last winter I started wearing liquid foundation because my skin was looking too dry with Bare Minerals, even with a good moisturizer and primer. I definitely prefer a brush to a sponge. I put a small amount of foundation in the back of my hand then dab the brush into the foundation.

I'm so confused.  Wasn't that the point of the op?  Using the foundation brush for liquid foundation?  I haven't had my coffee yet, so use small words and short sentences. :p

ETA:  Here, this type of brush:

http://www.target.com/p/sonia-kashuk-reg-core-tools-synthetic-pointed-foundation-brush-no-121/-/A-13340037

What in the world is this type of brush used for?  Wasn't the op talking about using something like this for liquid foundation?

I'm so confused.  Wasn't that the point of the op?  Using the foundation brush for liquid foundation?  I haven't had my coffee yet, so use small words and short sentences. :p

ETA:  Here, this type of brush:

http://www.target.com/p/sonia-kashuk-reg-core-tools-synthetic-pointed-foundation-brush-no-121/-/A-13340037

What in the world is this type of brush used for?  Wasn't the op talking about using something like this for liquid foundation?

No, the OP didn't say *liquid* foundation. It was someone else who was puzzled about that.

No, the OP didn't say *liquid* foundation. It was someone else who was puzzled about that.

Her first sentence is, " I have always applied liquid foundation with my fingers."  So I just assumed she was talking about liquid foundation with the brush.

I can't believe I've spent this much time today pondering makeup brushes. :P

LuvToRead, what is the oil method of make-up removal?

I am getting used to using the flat brush, but I still use a sponge to make sure I don't have any visible lines.  Ellie, I tried the Bare Minerals and I felt like it made my skin look older.  Maybe I was doing something wrong.

Here's a link; http://ultimateradioshow.com/

Massage a small amount of oil into your skin for about a minute.  Then you steam your face with a hot, wet washcloth.  After the washcloth has cooled off, I wipe my face with it.  I use olive oil, although some sites discourage this.  I can find olive oil pretty easily where I live.  I would have to order anything else.

The foundation brush I use can be used for liquid foundation.   With liquid foundation, I dot my face with foundation first, then use the brush to rub it in/blend it.  I prefer a brush cause I don't like my fingers to get all makeup-y, and sponges, to me, seem to soak up foundation and some gets wasted. 

I have used foundation brushes for years, but for someone who is new to using them, the big fluffy brush that Tarte sells to go with their liquid foundation is amazing. It blends the foundation better, more smoothly, and provides a thinner coating than you would get with your fingers.

It's available for the best price at QVC.com. The item number is A216501. (Sorry I'm not posting a link, but I'm on my iPad.) the QVC price is for both foundation and brush, but if you want the brush on its own, you can get it at Ulta for $32.00.