Menu

The Wizard of Oz

I am searching for a nice copy of this book. My dilemma is that there are so many different printings. Could anyone link me to a good copy/edition? My 5 1/2 year old is in love with this book after checking it out at the library, and she specifically asked for a copy of her own.

Are the other books in the series just as good for this age?

My 5/6 yr olds love Sabuda's popup books. I have no idea if they would interest you or not. They are not your normal pop-up books and they include a large portion of the story and the detail is spectacular. A couple of my dd's have a collection they have put away In their hope chests. The Wonderful Wizard of Oz and Alice in Wonderland are my favorites.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Wonderful-Wizard-Oz-Commemorative/dp/0689817517/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_y/186-3620254-4079115

The Alice in Wonderland reviews has a video. I'm on my iPad so I can't view it to see if it does the bk justice or not. But it may give you an idea. http://www.amazon.com/Alices-Adventures-Wonderland-Pop-up-Adaptation/product-reviews/0689847432/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt/180-4453373-2473019?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

I just finished reading the first 6 books to my ds (age: 4-5).  I would highly recommend using the Books of Wonder books for all later books in the series as they are so much better than the cheap ones published this year.  I have found most in good used condition from Amazon (new ones are a bit pricy.)

As for the original Wizard of Oz, I don't think you can go wrong with any of these.

We used the one illustrated by Michael Hague (my gm had given it to me as a child).  It is beautifully illustrated on nice glossy paper.  (looks like this is only available used)  

The Books of Wonder edition illustrated by Wiliiam Denslow (original illustrator)

Sterling Illustrated Classics illustrated by Robert Ingpen are also beautifully illustrated on nice thick paper.  

I just finished reading the first 6 books to my ds (age: 4-5). I would highly recommend using the Books of Wonder books for all later books in the series as they are so much better than the cheap ones published this year. I have found most in good used condition from Amazon (new ones are a bit pricy.)

As for the original Wizard of Oz, I don't think you can go wrong with any of these.

We used the one illustrated by Michael Hague (my gm had given it to me as a child). It is beautifully illustrated on nice glossy paper. (looks like this is only available used)

The Books of Wonder edition illustrated by Wiliiam Denslow (original illustrator)

Sterling Illustrated Classics illustrated by Robert Ingpen are also beautifully illustrated on nice thick paper.

Thank you! I just put these all on my wish list! This should keep us busy for a bit. I think I will order the first one today. :) She will probably get one for Christmas too.

We have the Sabuda and my three-year-old just picked it off the shelf last night. He literally said, "Wow, wow, wow" for about 10 minutes straight. We talked about the good witch and the bad witch and the Emerald City and cyclones, even though he wouldn't let me read it through.

Beyond that, I agree with Farrar that the Denslow and the Hague are both great.