Menu

Are there any all-in-one LA programs that use real books?

Tabrett

~other than LLATL?

LLALT is the only all in one LA curriculum that I can find that uses real books and not basal readers.

Surely there are more. Please! 

I feel so disjointed using a separate program for:

spelling

writing

literature

poetry

vocabulary

grammar

Christian or Secular doesn't matter to me. Just all-in-one with real classic literature! 

~other than LLATL?

LLALT is the only all in one LA curriculum that I can find that uses real books and not basal readers.

Surely there are more. Please! 

I feel so disjointed using a separate program for:

spelling

writing

literature

poetry

vocabulary

grammar

Christian or Secular doesn't matter to me. Just all-in-one with real classic literature! 

English skills--I cannot bring myself to write "language arts," lol--are so wide and varied that I see no problem using different resources to teach each component. It is why textbook publishers have one text for grammar and composition (poetry is usually taught here), one for spelling, and one for reading/literature (poetry is *taught* in the English text, and works are *studied* in reading/literature).

Spalding and its spin-offs probably come closest to teaching everything in one package.

I think I might have been misunderstood. It doesn't have to teach LA through literature, but rather use real books for the reading/literature study portion of the LA program.

I thought Spalding was a phonics program. What spin-off programs are you talking about. 

My biggest problem with using individual curriculums for each skill is that each curriculum thinks their skill is the most important and wants to schedule a full lesson every day 5 days a week. This creates a LA mammoth that takes over your homeschool! LOL!

I need balance in my LA program and I feel like an all-in-one program might be better at achieving this.

I think I might have been misunderstood. It doesn't have to teach LA through literature, but rather use real books for the reading/literature study portion of the LA program.

I thought Spalding was a phonics program. What spin-off programs are you talking about. 

My biggest problem with using individual curriculums for each skill is that each curriculum thinks their skill is the most important and wants to schedule a full lesson every day 5 days a week. This creates a LA mammoth that takes over your homeschool! LOL!

I need balance in my LA program and I feel like an all-in-one program might be better at achieving this.

Spalding teaches children to read by teaching them to spell. It uses good trade books instead of vocabulary-controlled basal readers. The reading lesson (as opposed to the *spelling* lesson, which is where children also learn how to read if they need it) includes reading and discussing and analyzing their reading selections. Grammar comes from the words in the spelling list.

Spalding spin-offs include Spell to Write and Read (SWR), and the Latin Road to to English Grammar/The Phonics Road to Reading and Spelling. Logic of English and All About Spelling are very similar, as well, but I can't say for sure that they are spin-offs.

Writing Strands, my favorite composition series, is about half a year's worth of writing instruction/assignments; the author assumed the other part of the year would be spent on literature; it would be easy to do a separate grammar if it is necessary. Vocabulary is usually part of the literature study, although something like Wordly Wise certainly is not a time sucker. :-)

The problem with something like LLATL is that there are just not enough *complete* works covered each year, IMHO.

Is there a place to see the sample pages? The link just goes to the cover. I would never buy a non-returnable curriculum I cannot see a sample of before-hand.

If you click on the book you are interested in and scroll down there will be a "what to buy" heading followed by pictures of the covers of the books and to the right of the pictures a link to "Preview of Samples". 

Galore Park (from age 7) but it uses passages for analysis and then suggests you read the whole book.  In the middle school years, I supplemented with LL7 and then unit studies of particular texts.

ETA: the literature chosen for Galore Park English is really good quality.  There is a sample of the first book (age 7-8) on this page.

L

If you click on the book you are interested in and scroll down there will be a "what to buy" heading followed by pictures of the covers of the books and to the right of the pictures a link to "Preview of Samples". 

Thanks! I was looking at these last week and missed the little arrow to turn the page.