Menu

Food pantry sadness

NicAnn

We are moving and I had several bags of food to donate. Come to find out there is no central food bank in our very large suburban-metro area. There are a few churches with food banks...but they are small with very limited hours. This is completely new to me. The last city we lived in had two large, community owned food banks, that people could visit twice a week. And that city was much smaller. I regularly donated food, and even had to visit myself several years ago after a job loss.

I'm really saddened by this. Where are these people going for help? I know that food stamps are not easy to get here either. They come with random home inspections (to insure you aren't sharing food), and dont cover much.

This is sad.

The larger charities in my town don't do a very good job of helping people in need, so I prefer to donate to smaller, grassroots organizations run by people I know from my "volunteer everywhere" phase.

Have you considered Food Not Bombs?

I know that food stamps are not easy to get here either. They come with random home inspections (to insure you aren't sharing food), and dont cover much.

I never realized that there were regulations like this anywhere!  I wonder if you can check with your county--our church has a mobile food pantry that delivers food once a month and we distribute.  Many places can no longer *store* food, particularly for safety reasons.  (Not food safety, either, unfortunately...)

I never realized that there were regulations like this anywhere! I wonder if you can check with your county--our church has a mobile food pantry that delivers food once a month and we distribute. Many places can no longer *store* food, particularly for safety reasons. (Not food safety, either, unfortunately...)

I might call the county and ask, but I didn't see anything online. I think I'll just take the food donations to one of the churches and hope they can distribute it. Or I guess move it with us and donate it somewhere along the way.

The ones in our area are the same way. Donations are to be brought to the church in the half hour before the food pantry opens and they are only open twice a month for 4 hours each time!

Call around to the local grocery stores. Sometimes they have a collection box for the food pantry near the exit doors.

It *is very sad.

I've been trying to find an organization to volunteer with, but there aren't even *churches* that service my specific township. I can locate many places (mostly churches) that serve surrounding areas 1-4 times/mo, and a handful that serve the entire county, but the most active ones are near the county seat. If *I* have a difficult time eeking out the time and gas money to get out there to volunteer, how in the world are people in my area finding a way to get the FOOD?!

I know there's no food pantry near my relatives, but I almost "get" that it's because they're in a very wealthy area. I happen to be in an area with a very wide demographic, including more than a fair share of low-income families.

I've tried to find info on starting a food bank, but it's a bit overwhelming!

ETA: I'm signed up with all the national campaigns, and even they haven't been able to educate me on how to *start something going here.