Menu

What Craft/Hobby Thing are you doing this week? week 7

PrincessMommy

Hi all,

Another busy and stressful weekend and here it is Monday night already!

This thread is for us to share and encourage each other in our crafts and hobbies.  What things have you done this week?  It doesn't have to be big or even finished.   Maybe you were only able to knit a few rows or pull out your sewing machine before being distracted with life.  Share any of it.

----------------------

I had a whirlwind of weaving activity on Sat.  I've finished the Bamboo shawl and hemstitched it and cut it off the loom last night.  I also finished weaving one scarf of the three I have warped on my other loom.  I finished hemstitching that tonight and will start weaving the next scarf in blue sometime this week.  Tonight I wound 300 out of 700 threads for a baby blanket I'm starting.    I've been looking at a lot of weaving projects over on Ravelry and it really inspired me to get moving and get some of these long planned out projects started and finished. 

I was bored so I whipped up the simple statement wreath in a Halloween theme.  Now I have more Halloween decorations up then I have ever had before.  I didn't have any other color in the thick yarn, so I had to go with something that would work with black.

Oh, I like that !  I did something similar, but with orange yarn and a few leaves.  

http://goodknits.com/blog/2011/09/16/crochet-simple-statement-wreath/

Last year, I made a Halloween wreath with black novelty yarn and 2 "candy corns" attached (styrofoam wrapped in yarn).

http://blog.lionbrand.com/2012/09/14/craft-your-own-diy-halloween-wreath/

I'm so glad to see the thread!

I paused on the baby sock to make Rebecca some lacy ankle socks with Knit Picks' Felici yarn.  I also bought Dishie in brown to make a plastic bag holder.  I've made really good progress on Rebecca's first sock - maybe an inch or so more before decreasing for the toe.  She's very anxious for them.

And a fellow hs mom we met at choir thinks I'm a craft guru (LOL) and I'm helping her with socks for her daughter.

Argh! I am making some cat toys for my mom's new kittens and I cannot find the container of loose catnip I know I have. If people would just leave my stuff alone I would have known exactly where it was. Then I went hunting for jingle bells in the craft closet and couldn't find any (not sure I actually have any of those). Guess hobby lobby is in my near future.

Will it ever cool down?  Knitting when it is hot is just not as pleasurable for me as knitting when it is cool.  That said, I did make some progress on my son's second sock (first one finished a month ago??).  Time to turn the heel..

I should mention that I am also making some linen hankerchiefs out of hankerchief linen ( :lol: :laugh: :lol: ) with hand turned and stitched hems. 

Went to Hobby Lobby today. Bought cute autumn décor on sale. (I especially like the wrought iron bird cage with oak leaves and an iron owl on top.) Will put up in house, preferably before Christmas. Does this count at all?

I love doing crafts, and hope someday to tackle them again, when I can divest myself of other commitments.

Anyone made socks with worsted weight yarn?  What do you like? 

I do not recommend Lion Brand Wool-ease. I enjoyed knitting the socks but since the yarn has a high acrylic content my feet were cold and clammy. And the socks got holes pretty quickly. That was the only pair of worsted socks I made for myself.

Perhaps a superwash wool?

I have made socks holding 2 strands of fingering together on US3--more like a DK. If you use one strand of fingering and one of sport you might get a worsted gauge depending on the yarns you choose.

I've almost finished designing invitations for ds's 3rd birthday next month! It's a construction theme, so I designed a 5x7 card with a dump truck scene. The truck bed will swing open to reveal the party details underneath. After that, I'm starting on party decorations -- and Halloween costumes! DD wants to be the dish that ran away with the spoon, and this is the one I've picked out for ds:

9ae71ff4d39fcf883e5ea156c5a3d34c.jpg

ETA: That's NOT ds, just a pic I found on Pinterest!!