Menu

Please help with condensed World History...

I have a senior who needs World History condensed into one year.  She has had some bits here and here over the years, but not much.  The only thing I'm ruling out is Notgrass World History... I know many who like it, but we started this year with that, and she strongly requested something else.  I want something engaging for her, and she'll have to accept whatever alternative I decide on.  I like a biblical worldview, but not something that puts a religious spin on everything. 

That being said, I like Story of the World Vol. 4 but it only covers Modern History, so I'm going to need a spine, not as deep and more condensed, to include ancient times through modern.  I might have to piece something together.  I'd like to include a living book along with each time period.   ok enough rambling... suggestions?

World History: Patterns of Interaction from McDougall Littell is a secular text, but it's very readable.  You can buy a good used copy of older editions for less than $10.  It's great for summarizing info you might read in other books.  Sometimes students grasp the big picture well from living books, but they don't remember the details.  This text works well to summarize the highlights. 

All I meant by "not as deep" is that I don't think we'll have time to delve into each time period as much as I'd like.  Story of the World Vol. 4 would be great but I can't fit it all into the year, since I have to also cover from ancient times forward.  I'm not against depth or a rich text, but in my situation, I think I only have the option of going wide instead of deep.  That way, she'll at least be familiar with major people/events of each period. 

Spielvogel's Western Civ. covers from Ancients to Modern. My concern is when you say "not as deep" as SOTW 4, you are meaning what exactly?  You want this to be a high school level class / credit for your senior, correct?

Thanks for the suggestion... I'll check it out.  And I think I posted below concerning "not as deep" instead of replying to you.  I notice you're using Notgrass... I really liked it myself.  I might wind up insisting she use it, but if I have to choose my battles...  I'd be ok with something else, if I could figure out a good substitution.  

Spielvogel's Western Civ. covers from Ancients to Modern. My concern is when you say "not as deep" as SOTW 4, you are meaning what exactly?  You want this to be a high school level class / credit for your senior, correct?

DS used this last year in combination with online quizzes from the CengageBrain website.  He remembers enough to be able to chime into discussions, which is what I was working towards.

Oak Meadow uses Glencoe's World History By Spielvogel

Easy to read, comprehensive but not detailed - does the job.

Here is the Teacher's Edition ISBN-10: 0078607035

Here is the Student's Edition ISBN-10: 0078607027

Old editionsof both are available used on Amazon or try looking on bookfinder.com - student edtion for $8 and Teacher's for about $40?

My son is completing this text and using Princeton Review SAT 2 Study GUide to prepare for the World History SAT 2 in December- also given in June I think.

• 8 months later...

Oak Meadow uses Glencoe's World History By Spielvogel

Easy to read, comprehensive but not detailed - does the job.

Here is the Teacher's Edition ISBN-10: 0078607035

Here is the Student's Edition ISBN-10: 0078607027

Old editionsof both are available used on Amazon or try looking on bookfinder.com - student edtion for $8 and Teacher's for about $40?

My son is completing this text and using Princeton Review SAT 2 Study GUide to prepare for the World History SAT 2 in December- also given in June I think.

This is what I was going to suggest.  We are using this as a spine (with a lot of supplementation so taking more than 1 year).  My kids say it's fine. They don't love textbooks but don't mind this one.