Menu

What Craft/Hobby Thing are you doing this week? week 6

PrincessMommy

I went to 3 craft stores today and came home with something from each of them.  :ohmy: I think I have a problem.  Right now I am working on this hat pattern.  I did the first 6 rounds as written and had to frog it.  There was no gauge on the pattern, but I've made enough hats to know that there was no way a crown of 4" circle was gonna fit a grown woman.  I switched all the expanding rounds to dc and all went well after that.  One of the thing I was looking for while out was scarf to go with the hat, but all I found were huge.  I ended up buying some fabric to try to sew into scarfs.  I have enough for 2.  Hopefully I don't totally screw it up.  I know sewing that silky stuff can be a pain.

I'm in cowl mode. I made this one with one skein of Red Heart Treasure Boutique. And I'm working on another one in Lion Brand Heartland. Love the colors of this yarn! I'm also working on socks for dh. I'm trying Hazel Knits Artisan for the first time and it's thicker than I expected so the sock was turning out too big and I'll have to start over.

There was no gauge on the pattern, but I've made enough hats to know that there was no way a crown of 4" circle was gonna fit a grown woman.

Reminds me of when ds was learning to crochet and tried to make a hat. The crown came out so small--he's a really tight crocheter though. He had fun wearing that crown part around for a few days. After switching to a larger hook the hat came out much better.

That's a cute pattern. Can't wait to see it all put together when you finish!

You cold weather crafters are so lucky.  I want to make scarfs and cowls and fun things like that, but I am lucky if it gets cold enough to put on a hat a couple times a year.  Hopefully I will have a few minutes to pull out the sewing machine today.  That will depend on it the kids get their work done early enough as the school table is also the dining table and my sewing table.

I've started making hats for the kids for Christmas. This year they'll each get a funky hat: horse hat, bear hat, fish hat and brainmonster. I'm hoping they go over as well as the monsters I made them last year.

Those look fun! I made my niece and nephews fun hats last year. I will have too see if I can find pictures of them when I am on the computer again.

Here are the pictures of the fun hats I did last year for my nephews (aka my BIL's kids).  I don't seem to have taken pictures of the ones that I made for my niece and nephew (aka my bro's kids). 

resized-IMG_0006_zps46166ce7.jpgresized-IMG_0004_zps6809bd67.jpgresized-IMG_0002_zps0ecc386f.jpg

My basic ear flap hat is this pattern .  I have used it many ways including all the fun hats I made last year.  This is the inspiration/pieces of the hat I did for my niece and nephew:  Tweetheart Hat pattern and the Stegosaurus Dinosaur Hat.  If you search for angry birds on ravelry, you can find the faces to the birds pictured.

My basic ear flap hat is this pattern .  I have used it many ways including all the fun hats I made last year.  This is the inspiration/pieces of the hat I did for my niece and nephew:  Tweetheart Hat pattern and the Stegosaurus Dinosaur Hat.  If you search for angry birds on ravelry, you can find the faces to the birds pictured.

They are cute!

I've started making hats for the kids for Christmas. This year they'll each get a funky hat: horse hat, bear hat, fish hat and brainmonster. I'm hoping they go over as well as the monsters I made them last year.

Those are adorable!

I'm almost finished with ds's hat.  I'll try and get pics later.  I'd also like to sew a quick knotted hat for him once I'm done and then I might get started on his Halloween costume...

I knew stitching the house for my mother's sampler was going to be a bear but it's been worse than expected. I'm not fond of the color scheme either but I'm trying to stay true to reality. Ugh! This is so not fun.

I think it looks great. Stitching (embroidery, cross-stitch) is not my thing, and I have a healthy dose of respect (and a tinge of envy) for those who do it. It's such a pretty project, and I think your mom will love it!

So remember all the stuff I said I bought earlier this week?  I probably should start using it, but instead I keep finding other little projects to do.  Right now I have 3 of the circle bodies to make these birdie decorations and I think tomorrow I will make up the other components.  I really hate the sewing of things together, so why I picked something with so many pieces, I don't know.

So remember all the stuff I said I bought earlier this week?  I probably should start using it, but instead I keep finding other little projects to do.  Right now I have 3 of the circle bodies to make these birdie decorations and I think tomorrow I will make up the other components.  I really hate the sewing of things together, so why I picked something with so many pieces, I don't know.

What are you going to do with the birdies once you're done?

I finally finished 9 pairs of boxers for the two boys. Ya! I have two more uncut to do. They were dinosaurs, batman, superman, and Toy Story ones. I found the fabric for the last 2 this weekend in the remnants. They will be lightning Mcqueen and Towmater.

I also finished cross stitching middle DS's christmas stocking. I still need to cut out the stocking shape and sew it to the back. This is a six year project as I am making one stocking a year for our six person family. I just finished the 3rd stocking, so I am halfway done!

I am hoping to get started on DD's flannel winter nightgowns next, but it may not happen till next week.

Still knitting away on my modified Shalom cardigan--I added sleeves, additional buttons and a bit more shaping at the waist.

(Here is the original: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/shalom-cardigan ). I'll try to post a picture when I finish--it is so fun to see everyone's finished things!

I finally got my hands on that Harry Potter knitting book--I loooove inter-library loan! So as soon as I get the cardigan off my pile, I am going to cast on that shawl I posted last time--the invisibility shawl--in the blue alpaca I bought in Ocean City. I won't likely finish it for a while, but I am really eager to cast on!

Then I had better turn to Christmas knitting, I have three hats, and two ear warmer/headbands to do.

Waiting on my KnitPicks shipment of yarn for Rebecca's socks and a plastic bag holder.  I started a pair of baby socks today to pass the time - there are two baby girls at our gym who will be 1 soon, so why not?  I got the pattern from Knitting Daily's free e-book of baby patterns.

Soo, how easy is it to make flannel nightgowns?  I should really learn to sew; I have a sewing machine from years ago that's still in the box.  I really need to get to Goodwill and find Rebecca 2 pairs of jeans so I can make her a long skirt.

Today I managed to get the 3 beaks and 6 wings made and sewn on.  Unfortunately then DH came home.  I didn't want to break out the box of buttons to sew on the eyeballs in front of him.  He's been asking me to sew on a button for a couple of weeks now.  I just don't think the bright blue buttons that I have in there are what he is thinking of.  Besides, he knows how to sew on a button and I really don't like doing it.  Tomorrow the 3 birds should be done.

Soo, how easy is it to make flannel nightgowns?

If you get one of the easy type patterns, it is really easy. If you get just any old pattern, it wont be hard, but not quite as beginner as an easy pattern. I make the flannel nightgowns because I cannot seem to find nightgowns in bigger kid sizes (anything after size 6x) and DD loves nightgowns. I make them a little big because they have no stretch. Hope that helps!

My 3 birdies are done.  I still haven't decided if I want to keep making the birdies or switch to another marker for the rest of the bags.  They are fun, but time consuming per item.  I also finished off the Crochet Chemo Cap with Scarf Tie.  I ended up finding a scarf at Walmart to pair it with so now I still have scarf fabric to sew up and do something with.

Still knitting away on my modified Shalom cardigan--I added sleeves, additional buttons and a bit more shaping at the waist.

(Here is the original: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/shalom-cardigan ). I'll try to post a picture when I finish--it is so fun to see everyone's finished things!

I finally got my hands on that Harry Potter knitting book--I loooove inter-library loan! So as soon as I get the cardigan off my pile, I am going to cast on that shawl I posted last time--the invisibility shawl--in the blue alpaca I bought in Ocean City. I won't likely finish it for a while, but I am really eager to cast on!

Then I had better turn to Christmas knitting, I have three hats, and two ear warmer/headbands to do.

I'm glad you were able to find the Harry Potter book via the library!  Woo hoo!

I need to turn my attention towards Christmas too.  However, I've got 2 grand-nieces coming this fall and my new DIL's b-day is next month.