Menu

Church picnic question---is this enough food to bring?

Ottakee

Tomorrow is a church picnic at the church we have been attending for the past 5 months or so. It is a large congregation of about 800 between the 2 services.

The picnic is at the township park and 2 groups are cooking up chicken. We were instructed to bring a dish to pass---side dish or dessert. I always worry about their being enough food. Our last church only averaged about 150 and we would bring 2 dishes to pass, not just one.

It will be dh and I along with our 3 kids, foster ds who will be 12 this week, and 2 extra boys that are 13 and 14. Basically it is 6 teenagers and 2 adults.

So far I have:

a large bowl of homemade cucumber salsa with a big bag of chips

a large bowl of homemade freezer pickles

a large bowl of fresh melon cut up (well, I will cut it up in the morning)

Just wondering, should I also try to make my taco rollups or a pumpkin or pineapple cake? I have 3 items already but they aren't really "fill you up" type things.

Since this is our first church picnic with this new church I don't know if the church also provides rolls or potato salad, etc. or if they do just the chicken. I also have no idea how many of the 800 will really come to the picnic.

I always figure... if it's a potluck, it shouldn't matter how many parishioners are coming to the potluck... it just matters how many people you're bringing.  So if every family who comes brings a dish that could theoretically feed their own family (if you were willing to eat only melon, freezer pickles and cucumber salsa, for example), then you're doing your part.  You're just 'trading' with other families when you sample their dishes.  Of course, you expect leftovers, so I usually bring more than that.  But still, you should bring whatever you'd normally bring when you were at your last church, because it's about the ratio of people to food... not about the actual quantity of people. 

We actually went to a church where there was often NOT enough food. More than once--baffling to me. Families of four would bring a small side dish--and that's all. Our family is used to cooking for groups so we would do huge amounts of something simple--corn or green beans, plus a side dish kind of casserole and a dessert.

Ever since going there, I've been nervous about potlucks. I still think you are okay, OP.

Have fun!

Well, I got back on time from my early morning horseback ride so I decided to make the pumpkin cake with apple cider glaze. It is SUPER easy and quick---and the glaze goes on warm so that helps with time.

I feel a bit better now. I have been to picnics with not enough food. I need to remind my crew to take SOME and then they can go back after everyone else is through the line. I hate when I see kids and teens go through the line ahead of the adults (esp. the elderly) and take 4 desserts and lots of the sides and then throw 1/2 of it away.

It worked out very well. They had a LOT of extra chicken but they made 600 leg quarters. Nice variety of dishes and enough for all.

SO glad it worked out well. I can't help but think if you hadn't made the cake this morning, there would not have been enough...

:lol:

The pumpkin cake sounds yum....care to share the recipe?

Pumpkin Cake

1 white or yellow cake mix

1 15 oz. can pumpkin (the plain stuff, not pie mix)

Mix together and spread in a 7x11 pan (that pyrex one you never know what do to with) Batter will be very thick.

Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.

Let cool 15 minutes or so and then glaze with

1 1/2-2 cups powdered sugar

1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice (or a bit less)

1/4 cup apple cider

That is it. Super easy and very yummy. The cake is also great with cream cheese frosting.

Pumpkin Cake

1 white or yellow cake mix

1 15 oz. can pumpkin (the plain stuff, not pie mix)

Mix together and spread in a 7x11 pan (that pyrex one you never know what do to with) Batter will be very thick.

Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.

Let cool 15 minutes or so and then glaze with

1 1/2-2 cups powdered sugar

1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice (or a bit less)

1/4 cup apple cider

That is it. Super easy and very yummy. The cake is also great with cream cheese frosting.

you don't eggs or oil or...anything to the mix, just pumpkin??

you don't eggs or oil or...anything to the mix, just pumpkin??

I wouldn't think so. Canned pumpkin works really well with cake mix. I make great muffins with just spice cake mix and plain canned pumpkin. They always come out nice and fluffy, and if you make them in small muffin tins they're 1 point on weight watchers. (At least they used to be, it's been awhile since I've been back to weight watchers, and they've changed programs a few times.)