Menu

kindle sponsored version

kiwik

I came up with the $20 to get rid of the ads within a week of being given my kindles, even though I hadn't planned to do so and really couldn't afford to do so.

The older one was supposed to be handed down to ds5, but I think by the time he's ready to use it independently, I'd rather get him one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/SLICK-E-READER-WITH-BINDER-CASE/dp/B006F5QLOI

No wifi, no ads, no worries.

It is generally an upcoming movie or book release. I have never noticed anything offensive about the ads. Most you won't want to buy for a 6 year old but something amazon sells. City of Bones featured for a couple of weeks. For awhile I had a new themed diaper ( tiki huggies I think) frequently offered. Currently The Disenchanted Widow's book cover is featured on my 3G.

My kids like the ads. They actually discuss who has what ad wise and how often. Sort of an informal marketing class. No one wants the boring no ad kindle. :lol:

I came up with the $20 to get rid of the ads within a week of being given my kindles, even though I hadn't planned to do so and really couldn't afford to do so.

The older one was supposed to be handed down to ds5, but I think by the time he's ready to use it independently, I'd rather get him one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/SLICK-E-READER-WITH-BINDER-CASE/dp/B006F5QLOI

No wifi, no ads, no worries.

I considered a kobo mini which often is on special here for under $60. It would have the advantage that he could borrow from our library system which I can't do with a kindle but we wouldn't be able to share books.

Thanks for the info on the adds I will keep thinking. He doesn't really need one of course.

I paid to take the ads off of mine after having had it a while. i was getting ads for R-rated movies or at least they must have been based on the pictures on my screen. But when I posted that, no one else seemed to be getting the same thing. So I don't know. I do know they only charged me $10 to have the ads removed. I would have paid more in the original price if I bought without the ads. I'm not sure how that happened.

I paid to take the ads off of mine after having had it a while. i was getting ads for R-rated movies or at least they must have been based on the pictures on my screen. But when I posted that, no one else seemed to be getting the same thing. So I don't know. I do know they only charged me $10 to have the ads removed. I would have paid more in the original price if I bought without the ads. I'm not sure how that happened.

Now you have me curious about their marketing. My kindle is on a different amazon account then the dc's. I was the only one with the diaper ads. We do buy household goods(no diapers ever) out of that account. I haven't gotten the R rated movie ads on either. We are not buying our Dvds at Amazon much anymore maybe thats why. The City of Bones was the scariest cover imo on either but I couldn't complain because dd was reading it already and I had approved it.

The ads don't bother me in the least.  I don't even notice them, but my use of the Kindle is to read, not stare at screensaver ads.  When I'm finished reading I turn the Kindle off and immediately close the cover. Don't see the ad.  When I'm ready to read, I open the cover and turn the Kindle on.  So the ad is visible for maybe two seconds.  I couldn't begin to tell you what the ads are typically for.  I have gotten a few good deals from the special offers. 

I didn't know you could get them removed so I have learnt useful things. It is just that the cheapest kindle (sponsored version) is $130 whereas the next cheapest I have seen is $170 which is a fairly bid difference.

Are you in the U.S. or is the kiwi in your user name a clue? Because in the U.S. the cheapest Kindle is $69.

As to your question, I've never seen an ad that I thought was inappropriate. They're usually for books, movies, or tv shows available on Amazon Instant Video, though sometimes I see product ads. I've actually found a few good deals and books I might not have noticed because of the ads.