Menu

Just a confused, slightly teary vent...

Greenmama2

On Monday the government department that deals with home schoolers here released it's updated guidelines for registrations. The new requirements seem to be a lot more restrictive on what we can teach and when. There are lots of little wording changes here and there that have the effect of really tightening things up, but here is a direct quote of an entirely new section that really blows my mind:

If, based on your child’s identified learning ne
eds and achievement, you wish to deliver an
educational program in advance
of the Years of schooling specif
ied on the child’s certificate
of registration, you must notify in writing th
e Home Schooling Unit pr
oviding details of the
proposed change. On receipt of such notice, an
Authorised Person will contact you to arrange
a mutually convenient time to assess the propos
ed new educational program. If the proposed
educational program satisfies the Authorised Pe
rson that the requirements for registration will
be met, a certificate of registration specifyi
ng the new Years of schooling will be issued

Elsewhere in the document it states numerous times that we must allow three months from any contact with them. So basically I have to contact them (in writing) three months before each and every time DD wants to study something outside the scope of the syllabus (which we are now required to follow much more closely) for her age grade and then wait for approval. What?

Say what???

Of course it could be that I (and many other home schoolers) are just freaking out about the wording and it won't be taken in that sense. But experience says that if any legal document can be read in a certain way, then someone in authority somewhere WILL read it that way. Sigh.

Since we now have to register children for a particular grade I could just push for DD to be registered as the most appropriate grade. This would be difficult if not impossible if she were globally advanced, but she's not. DD is one of the most highly asynchrous children I know, sigh. Her written output is at least two, sometimes three years behind the rest of her work. I honestly do believe it is a maturity issue and her handwriting (which has already improved leagues this year) and spelling will catch up eventually if she were able to continue as we have done so far - following her interests in her strengths and gently remediating the more difficult areas. However, it seems the new guidelines wont allow us to do so. Ugh. Meeting her where she is at is THE biggest reason for home schooling and what keeps me sane on the many oh so difficult days. I feel like throwing in the towel but of course that won't help either :(

Ug!  I am really hopeful that it is not what it sounds like. Do you mind telling us where you are?  It does not sound like the USA given phrases like "years of schooling".  And it better not be NZ!

Personally, I can't see how you can be stopped from teaching your child anything you want.  She might just have to pass the year's material each year, and all above-year material you are using would be considered afterschooling.

Ruth in NZ

I googled and found the document online. I'm sorry for the trouble it's causing you. I have a good friend homeschooling there as well. I wonder how she is going to deal with it. Ruth's afterschooling suggestion is brilliant. Do you know any experienced homeschoolers there with gifted children? Could you ask them what they plan to do given these new regulations? That might give you some idea of what to do next, how to tailor what you are doing so that it can similarly be interpreted to a commonly beneficial end (yours and Authorized Person's).

Another thought...sometimes the legalese only applies if you want to officially grade skip your child. I know that that is the case where I homeschool. Any way to clarify if this is the case? If you are not seeking official grade skipping, how does it make a difference to them what you use?

I think you might be reading too much into it. It sounds to me like they want to be notified if you are changing the student's year of graduation (grade skipping.) If your state has high school graduation requirements for students it would require a meeting to make sure you can still meet those requirements. Hopefully, that is all they are addressing.  :grouphug:

I have to report as well, and the cover program officially doesn't like acceleration. So I do what Ruth suggests-my DD takes the end of year standardized test at her official grade level, and is officially a 4th grader this year. Except, possibly for cursive copywork, nothing she's doing is 4th grade level-but as long as she does well on their test as a 4th grader, no one is paying much attention to what books I have listed on her curriculum plan (As a test last year, I included "Corn snake (Elaphe Gutatta Gutatta)" on her science curriculum list. No one commented.) Hopefully, that will be the case for you-that unless you want to accelerate formally, and whole-grade, you can get by with teaching at her level.

There usually is one or two topics a year (mostly specific state history, sometimes health as well), that I take a day or two to cover, but otherwise, it really hasn't been an issue.

So sorry this is happening to you. I live in SA and things are looser here ( and hopefully will stay that way).

What I take from that document is that if you are going to deviate from the proposed plan that they already agreed to...they want to make sure your new plan is also meeting the standards.

Just like in SA..if you move house you have to let them know so they can come and do a walkthrough to make sure it is appropriate... Its different to what was agreed upon and they need to reassess it.

Having said that..I would just do what Ruth said. Keep documentation of the expectations for your DDs year level and then do whatever you want without telling them.

I do this with my DS...not because I have to but just because it is easier for me. I printed out a Prep list of all the standards he needs to meet and ticked them all off to show the moderator. He is actually doing 1st grade work in all areas but I'll keep that checklist for next year.

I honestly would not worry about it...make sure your DD meets the lower grade standard and excel her without saying anything.

I live in a USA state with mostly standardized testing only requirements, and otherwise just the advisory that students should be following what same level public schoolers do--but not mandate of specifics.   My DS is at different levels in different subjects and is registered at and does standardized tests at the level  he was at when in brick and mortar school, in areas where he is ready to accelerate we do that without changing his registration year, in areas where he has had difficulties we do what is needed to address that even if it is behind his registration level (but he had an official IEP for awhile so the state knew that was happening--here they get more upset if there is performance behind rather than ahead of official level).   Only if at some point he wants to go to college earlier would I apply to have his year changed.  The regulations you list sound similar to that.. .and I too would say that documenting the year level expectations and working ahead where appropriate makes sense.

I am amazed by some of the posts though.   There are places where they visit the house to make sure it is appropriate for homeschooling?   That sounds like when I was a foster parent and we had home inspections.