Menu

Book recommendations: true crime or other non-fiction, please

Pretty in Pink

The title says it all. I'm looking for true crime recommendations. I'm also open to other non-fiction if you've read something particularly good lately.

Have you read Capote's In Cold Blood?

How about Devil in the White City?

The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher: A Shocking Murder and the Undoing of a Great Victorian Detective

The Woman Who Wasn't There (about a woman who falsely claimed to be 9/11 victim)

The Whole Truth: A Case of Murder on the Appalachian Trail

Who Killed My Daughter...by Lois Duncan, the YA novelist

Columbine by David Cullen

The Serial Killer Whisperer: How One Man's Tragedy Helped Unlock the Deadliest Secrets of the World's Most Terrifying Killers by

Pete Earley

Death at Sea World, David Kirby

Nonfiction about killer whales in captivity --- could not put this one down. 

http://www.amazon.com/Death-SeaWorld-Killer-Whales-Captivity/dp/1250031257/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377699475&sr=8-1&keywords=death+at+sea+world

old, but good::

The Hot Zone, Richard Preston

http://www.amazon.com/The-Hot-Zone-Terrifying-Story/dp/0385495226/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377699641&sr=8-1&keywords=the+hot+zone

Neither book is about crime, but both are about killers -- a whale and a virus.

Have you read Capote's In Cold Blood?

How about Devil in the White City?

The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher: A Shocking Murder and the Undoing of a Great Victorian Detective

The Woman Who Wasn't There

The Whole Truth: A Case of Murder on the Appalachian Trail

Who Killed My Daughter...by Lois Duncan, the YA novelist

Columbine by David Cullen

The Serial Killer Whisperer: How One Man's Tragedy Helped Unlock the Deadliest Secrets of the World's Most Terrifying Killers by

Pete Earley

In Cold Blood is superbly written, but terrifying! 

Monster of Florence~an American writer becomes obsessed with an Italian serial killer who was never caught. When he moves to Florence he works with the original investigator with the idea of making it a book. Then he gets pulled into the Italian prosecution of the case, as a defendant. Very interesting. You get the case of a serial killer. Then you get a close up look at the Italian legal system and all its problems. The prosecutor at the end of the book also prosecuted Amanda Knox. It gives you some insight into what that case might be like. 

I agree with the Erik Larson recommendation.  I love him.

Also agree with The Monster of Florence and if you'd like a book on the Amanda Knox case, try A Death in Italy by John Follain or The Monster of Perugia by Waterbury.  I wouldn't say those last two are excellently *written* but if you're interested in the case, they are pretty good.

I'm currently reading Fever: A Novel by Mary Beth Keane and, while fiction, much is based on Typhoid Mary's life and experiences.

Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer (about 2 Mormons who commit murder and claim God commanded them to do it.  A lot about LDS church, too, but not mean to represent all Mormons by any means.)

Donnie Brasco is supposed to be good but I've never read it.  (Mafia)

I also really liked The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher (plus some subtitle I forget, don't remember the author, either) because it felt like a novel, but was true.  It's about a murder case taken on by one of the first real detectives.of Scotland Yard.  Apparently it was made into a tv movie as well.

Oh!  I forgot about this one.  (I like this genre, btw, LOL)  We Is Got Him:  The Kidnapping That Changed America by Carrie Hagen.  I'll admit that I got bogged down in the middle for a while and set it aside for a while, but I'm glad I picked it back up to see how it ends.  Very interesting, but slow and occasionally a little dry.

While here in Jerusalem, I read Schindler's Ark, the book Schindler's List was based on. You may think you know the story, but this one doesn't whitewash the "good guy's" character and is an interesting read.

If you've never read Helter Skelter, re the Manson murders...I liked it, but gruesome.

You've been given some good recommendations, and I only have a few more to add.

True Crime:

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil  - an old one but still good.

Non-fiction but not crime:

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

Into Thin Air - Tragedy on Mt. Everest. I have zero interest in mountain climbing yet found this hard to put down.